• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

We didn't hear any public no's in the football hire, nor the hire in 2010. why would we hear them now?

That is my point, has Shaka,Howland,Miller and the field all said no? And we get one report of interest in Manning and it turns into a shit storm? Did I miss something during my 3 hours away?

Plenty of former players that went on to be good coaches, but most of them were not stars, Mickey D's like Manning.

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Embrace The Suck

If it is Manning the AD did him a grave disservice by leading the fan base on line it has this past week. The worst thing a sales person can do is over promise and under deliver.

That being said, if he is or coach I will be behind him 100%. I ain't jacking off in public for him (I'll save that for the final four appearance) but he will have my support.

I am. If he had accepted, there had to be a leak about it today, and all we've heard was Danny Manning. If he is named our next coach, Wellman would've done a legendary job keeping it under wraps.

That said, it's still strange VCU hasn't made a public announcement that he is remaining there after he was tied to both Wake and MU's job.

Color me totally confused at this point.

Perhaps the only hopeful sign at this point is the silence from VCU.

Is it possible that Ron somehow secures a pledge of silence before he talks with anyone? One of the worst things that can happen for an AD is to have a public rejection. Maybe that explains the silence. Perhaps we have been rejected multiple times by now?

Ollie averaged a whopping career 6.7 ppg Billy D 15 in his Junior year and 20 in his Senior year...........Wrong Butthead

Ollie played 13 years in the NBA compared to two for Donovan. Ollie was a combo guard with a better than 2:1 assist to turnover ration and scored 9.8 ppg his senior year.

Clem Haskins was three-time OVC Player of the Year and had a 10-year NBA career.

Walt Hazzard never coached in the Final Four.

Pat Kelsey is a rising star and he has pulled in big recruits to WFU. IMO, his experience at WFU is very important. That guy would do well if given the chance .

For what it worth, maybe we should look outside the box and go after a guy like Byron Scott. He's in his early 50's, is close to Chris Paul, was NBA coach of the year, has played in both college and the Pro's. Oh, he is also not coaching right now trying to recover from going to Cleveland right before Lebron took his talents to South Beech! The guy is a class act, and certainly would be better than all of the remaining coaches that might consider Wake Forest. We aren't going to hire any of the hot up and coming college coaches, but we might have a shot at a guy that is on the sidelines. Ron should reach out to CP3 and have him give his old friend Byron a call.

Nice first post...

Just to add to this Odom was a last second hire. Williams was a swing and a miss. Then the team was informed that Gene Bartow had accepted the position.at that time he was a name. Then when the team gathered to meet their new coach, Dave Odom was introduced. The team was never informed that Bartow backed out, and Odom just appeared. I heard this straight a former players mouth.

If I was a coach besides the obvious of competing in a very hard conference, recruiting against those schools, tough academics, and recruiting restriction (especially if culture bullshit exists). I would look poorly at the Wake job for 2 reasons. First, There is no buffer zone, he who shall not be named used all of our good will and then some. We as fans are ready to attack and destroy, I mean it took us 2 years to even begin to really hate on he who shall not be named. Any coach will realize the fans are at a breaking point so they have no new job comfort to start. Wellman held on to a shitty coach for 4 years, but the fan reaction to something shitty after year one will just be like if it was he who shall not be named 5th year.
Second, after you accept we need to win now, you get to come into a situation where you have no scholarships and get to mold are already mediocre to bad players into something that fits your system, if everyone stays you get them for 2 years thats a really shitty way to start if you need to win right away.

Ollie played 13 years in the NBA compared to two for Donovan. Ollie was a combo guard with a better than 2:1 assist to turnover ration and scored 9.8 ppg his senior year.

Clem Haskins was three-time OVC Player of the Year and had a 10-year NBA career.
Ollie was a 8th player off the bench journey man....Billy D in his prime vs Ollie in his prime!?!? so your reasoning would make Kwame Brown a better player?!? GTFO

Walt Hazzard never coached in the Final Four.

Ollie was a 8th player off the bench journey man....Billy D in his prime vs Ollie in his prime!?!? so your reasoning would make Kwame Brown a better player?!? GTFO

If it is Manning the AD did him a grave disservice by leading the fan base on line it has this past week. The worst thing a sales person can do is over promise and under deliver.

That being said, if he is or coach I will be behind him 100%. I ain't jacking off in public for him (I'll save that for the final four appearance) but he will have my support.

I agree with that. Hinting at a home run hire and then hiring a Tier C choice isn't good PR.

Back