• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Kyle Filipowski assaulted a wake fan thread.

Anyone else think that if Filipowski's "injury" was severe, or season-ending, that we probably would have heard about it by now?????
I am sure the wheels on the Duke machine are frantically at work trying to figure out the conundrum they are in of continuing to spin the story that the Wake crowd rush significantly injured Flip while also having him miraculously healed 4 days later to play 30 min against Lville.

I mean, what do you want me to say here?

I like covering Duke and I like covering Wake; I'm doing both so that I can maintain some semblance of a career. I've got great relationships with staffs and admin at both places; I'm not going to say anything to jeopardize that and hopefully that's understood.

When I'm done with this current state, I'll be more than happy to share my feelings on a whole lot of things and this can be tacked onto the list.
Fair enough. I appreciate it. Would it be kosher to ask if he had any imaging done? That seems an important detail to report amidst the bevy of national media stories about this injury.

where the fuck have these court storming should be banned takes come from? I've literally never heard them before this season. I thought that was supposed to be one of those magic things about the sport?

Fair enough. I appreciate it. Would it be kosher to ask if he had any imaging done? That seems an important detail to report amidst the bevy of national media stories about this injury.
It's fair to ask -- I haven't been able to confirm if he has or hasn't. There's going to be an update on the teleconference in about 15 minutes.

where the fuck have these court storming should be banned takes come from? I've literally never heard them before this season. I thought that was supposed to be one of those magic things about the sport?
You had the Caitlin Clark incident, which was about as high visibility as you can get. And then you had ours, which was also pretty high visibility.

Look, I completely realize this Wake board is completely pro-Wake and doesn't want to admit any wrongdoing here. But this wasn't a great circumstance for Wake. And I've talked to two other Wake friends in real life who also immediately said the students were on the court too fast.

Eight more seconds is the difference between this being a non-issue and the story we have today.

Part of the deal is that the loudest voices about it are duke fans that didn’t go to duke and sports media people who likely spent much of the time as college students handing out stat sheets on press row. Most students at most schools probably have a similar memory of a big win if they cared about sports. duke fans can’t have that. Their actual students/alums are too busy with sticks up their ass to realize college sports are meant to be fun, and most of their fans have no concept of being a fellow student with student athletes. I hear quotes from players that enjoy it when they win. Love the idea of their friends and classmates being on the court to celebrate.

You had the Caitlin Clark incident, which was about as high visibility as you can get. And then you had ours, which was also pretty high visibility.

Look, I completely realize this Wake board is completely pro-Wake and doesn't want to admit any wrongdoing here. But this wasn't a great circumstance for Wake. And I've talked to two other Wake friends in real life who also immediately said the students were on the court too fast.

Eight more seconds is the difference between this being a non-issue and the story we have today.
That’s probably true. You learn and move on. I do think that if Flip didn’t want to get run over he could have not turned the ball over in their final possession and completely failed his teammates throwing away their chance to win.

sure but people are all of the sudden acting like this is a national crisis that we need to Do Something About Now.

Scheyer tried to say the right things after the game that he didn't want it to take away from wake blah blah, but here he is two days later still yapping his stupid fucking mouth about it. Shit happens man, maybe get your best player to the bench with 1 second left and the game over when you can visibly see what is about to take place.

How about this. The hosting team has an responsibility to provide a reasonably safe environment for the players. The players have a responsibility to get themselves out of and not exacerbate bad situations.

I feel like the first responsibility was missed. The second one likely was to.

Agree. Students should not have entered the court before the game was even over. I don’t blame the students though. I understand what security’s plan was - it just didn’t work.

I also think the narrative of an “injury” is overstated and it appears to me like the Duke player sought the contact.

It would also be nice if someone in the media could report what we all know but the media is scared to report:

1) Everyone knew a court storming was happening, the game was over before the last inbounds, and Scheyer did not have his team prepared at all.
2) Flip intentionally meandered off the court like a big dumb lug.
3) Flip then intentionally stuck his leg out to trip the student and then pushed him, and may have incurred a small baby injury to his leg as a result.
4) Flip lied/was wrong when he said it was personal. It was not personal.
5) If/when Flip returns fully healed for their next game, it would be nice if the media would question whether he was actually injured at all or faked it/exaggerated for attention. Clarke clearly flopped - and I didn't see anything in the media point that out because of fear. But the evidence was right there before our eyes.
6) Court stormings have occurred regularly for at least half a century and there has been one serious injury. Injuries are incredibly rare.

Just pick like two of those, Conor, to start. Baby steps.

Last edited:
Man, it would be so nice if you took your own advice with respect to Michigan football. But you can't, so maybe sit this one out.

I mean, what do you want me to say here?

I like covering Duke and I like covering Wake; I'm doing both so that I can maintain some semblance of a career. I've got great relationships with staffs and admin at both places; I'm not going to say anything to jeopardize that and hopefully that's understood.

When I'm done with this current state, I'll be more than happy to share my feelings on a whole lot of things and this can be tacked onto the list.
We, as a fanbase, appreciate that you could have chosen to score some cheap points with the Charmnin soft duke fans by pandering to their indignation, but you instead stood strong and remained objective, unlike most of the media. So thank you.

If you want to link to Filipowski's gofundme for medical care, I am sure we will all chip in to buy him a Rascal scooter.

Back