• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official MLB 2011 Thread

I am all in on the Rays now. Longoria, let me love you:

johnny.jpg

Bush league post. Lots of ways to pile on, but is this the best you've got?

Check out my previous six posts. In short, no, that's not the best I got. Go back to your pity party circle jerk on the SAWX thread. Please take the fake Red Sox fans who invaded Camden the last three nights with you. They looked really sad.

personally I think putting buck in that role would be a BIG MISTAKE.

legit question to bernie if he's around, espn was talking about how Buck might move to the front office to become the gm next season. Any thoughts on that/have you heard anything?

That's been the talk of the area for a week or so here. MacPhail is definitely gone.

The Rays' entire opening-day payroll this season was less than the combined salaries of the Yankees' Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira. Or Rodriguez and Derek Jeter. Teixera and Jeter. Or look at it this way: Two players who left Tampa last off-season for long-greener pastures in, respectively, New York and Boston—Rafael Soriano and Carl Crawford—made $25 million this season. The Rays' payroll, for 25 players, was just under $42 million. Or this: The Rays have made the playoffs in three of the last four seasons. In those four seasons, they have spent a total of about $220 million on payroll. The New York Yankees have spent about $207 million on payroll this year alone.

http://www.indyweek.com/triangleoff...e-the-playoffs-and-dan-johnson-is-the-extra-2

Great article from Sobsey on DanJo. Love both those guys.

personally I think putting buck in that role would be a BIG MISTAKE.

Hire him as a consultant. Maybe something as the face of the front office. We are beyond the years where simply knowing how to manage a game means you can manage the behind the scenes of a team.

This year seems kinda unique in that two teams tanked. I wonder if that's happened before.

The '51 Dodgers lost a 13.5 game lead after mid-August before The Shot Heard 'Round The World.

Of course the '64 Phils....fuck Gene Mauch.

The Bucky Fucking Dent Red Sox swoon.

The Mets of a couple years ago.

But was there even a year with two teams doing it?

One last thing about my Nats (sorry)

Strasburg finishes this year with a .71 WHIP in 6 starts.

OK...carry on with relevant conversation.

This year seems kinda unique in that two teams tanked. I wonder if that's happened before.

The '51 Dodgers lost a 13.5 game lead after mid-August before The Shot Heard 'Round The World.

Of course the '64 Phils....fuck Gene Mauch.

The Bucky Fucking Dent Red Sox swoon.

The Mets of a couple years ago.

But was there even a year with two teams doing it?

Either of these two would be the biggest collapses in after 9/1 in MLB history. This was a once in a lifetime occurrence. From Rob Neyer:

According to coolstandings.com, at that point — and remember, this is merely four weeks ago — the Rays had a 1.7-percent chance of reaching the playoffs, the Cardinals a 3.3-percent chance. At that point, the chance of the Rays and Cardinals reaching the playoffs was (roughly) 1 in 1,783.

Once every 1,783 times, a 1-in-1,783 shot will come through. And there are, if you go looking for them, a lot of 1-in-1,783 shots out there.

“Team president Matt Silverman pulls out his smartphone and shows a text message Sternberg sent at 10:30 p.m., before the start of the ninth inning: ‘Will come down to my man Dan’ Sternberg was referring to Dan Johnson, who three years earlier hit the most famous home run in team history to tie a game in the ninth against the Red Sox and propel the Rays on to their first American League East division title. As if on cue, manager Joe Maddon sent Johnson to the plate to pinch-hit for Sam Fuld.”

awesome

The '64 Phils was stilll a bigger collapse. 6.5 games with 12 left.

One last thing about my Nats (sorry)

Strasburg finishes this year with a .71 WHIP in 6 starts.

OK...carry on with relevant conversation.

How are the Nats going to manage his IP limit next year? It's going to be very difficult the way he seems to breeze through innings.

If they want to limit his workload, doesn't pitch count make more sense than IP?

Look at RJ, gettin all modern n' shit

IDK, all I know is that I had heard a 170 IP limit being thrown around. Don't remember the source.

If it were me, I'd probably hold him back in April, May so that if you are in a WC race you don't have to hold him back. But Nats will probably want him pitching opening day.

legit question to bernie if he's around, espn was talking about how Buck might move to the front office to become the gm next season. Any thoughts on that/have you heard anything?

Buck is moving to GM. It's been a poorly kept secret since the middle of the year. He should revamp almost everything. So many things are bad. Get rid of the Stockstills, Lee McPhail IV, but I'd keep Joe Jordan. Buck realizes how bad the system is and how lacking the organization is of talent. Theory is Willie Randolph will be manager.

Niemann to start Game 1 for the Rays. Of course, he'll be on a very short leash with Matt Moore hanging in the shadows.

Buck is moving to GM. It's been a poorly kept secret since the middle of the year. He should revamp almost everything. So many things are bad. Get rid of the Stockstills, Lee McPhail IV, but I'd keep Joe Jordan. Buck realizes how bad the system is and how lacking the organization is of talent. Theory is Willie Randolph will be manager.

they cant get any worse at developing guys i guess.

Wish someone would do an "Evaluation of the 2011 MLB Trade Deadline," though it is probably best to just wait until after the playoffs.

Off the top of my head...

The good: Hunter Pence, Rafael Furcal and Edwin Jackson, Francisco Rodriguez, and the new Texas relievers
The bad: Uswaldo Jimenez, Michael Bourn, Ryan Ludwick and Derrek Lee, and Erik Bedard

Back