• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official MLB SPRING TRAINING THREAD (Cobb signs with O's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darvish was tipping his pitches in the WS: https://sports.yahoo.com/yu-darvish-tipping-pitches-world-020122940.html

According to a Houston player, the Astros often knew what Darvish was about to throw by the way he brought the ball into his glove in the set position. (Darvish pitches exclusively out of the stretch.) The player said it worked like this: Darvish holds the ball at his side when he gets the sign from the catcher. Whether he re-grips or not as he brings the ball into his glove was the tip-off whether he was going to throw a slider/cutter or a fastball. “We knew the first time we faced him [in Game 3],” the player said. “The next time [in Game 7] it was mostly the same, but then it was more about just having a great game plan going in. We knew he was going to try to go back to his slider to find it. We had a great approach.” Darvish did not make it out of the second inning in either start. He threw 48 sliders and cutters to Houston hitters in the World Series. They swung and missed only twice at them while hitting .556 against the pitch.

Take on Prado and Chen and Yelich’s surplus value isn’t out of this world.

Really hope the Os trade Machado and Britton. Manny won’t resign with the Os, and they don’t need an elite closer on a bad team. Get a ton of prospects to get younger and focus on the draft. Losing a Manny for only a comp pick would be devastating.

Angels will cover his salary next season tho. So now the Tigs are only on the hook for Prince Fielder to not play for them.

Oh I just meant of players involved in that trade. Doesn't begin to cover all the overpay contracts the Tigers are still living down.

MLB needs a Sterling rule. If there's going to be a "luxury tax", it may not have to be the 85% of a cap like the NBA, but 65-75% would guarantee every team was trying.

I also agree with George Steinbrenner that if a team gets tax money they should have to spend it on players or facilities. Management should not be able to put in their pockets.

Some rumors on the Machado situation have the White Sox interested. Orioles want pitching prospects.

One issue is that Manny has said he won't negotiate with anybody on a new contract. He is adamant about playing out this year and being a free agent after the 2018 season. Because of this, potential acquiring teams are treating him as a one year "rental" while the O's see it as a trade of a budding superstar. Therein lies significant value difference.

I can't imagine any team will give up what the O's want at this point. Maybe in July.

Rumor is that Angelos (the O's eccentric owner) has OK'd trading Machado, but he won't trade him to the Yankees, and doesn't want to trade Machado to anyone that would flip him to the Yankees (not sure how they can be certain about that). Would guess that Machado will be traded before players report to Spring Training. The window to maximize the return has closed, but Machado is not re-signing in Baltimore, and the O's have to get more than a draft pick for him.

Machado is the type of player that can make a decent team, a playoff team.

O's wanted Sixto Sanchez for Machado but you just can't trade away a guy with a name like Sixto Sanchez.

Edit: I just found out the Phillies lost Carlos Tocci in the rule 5 draft and now I'm sad. I assume they think he won't stick in the majors for a whole year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back