• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official MLB SPRING TRAINING THREAD (Cobb signs with O's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are we thinking about moving Crawford to SS?

That does seem odd. Galvis had the most games (155) of any position player. Crawford had six (6)! games at SS. and that was the second most of anybody. Phillies must have some plan for SS if they trade Galvis.

Such a weird signing. Hoskins slashed .316/.442/.658 playing 1B and .213/.359/.585 playing LF. Seems pretty fucking stupid to move him to LF permanently. Is that the plan?

Such a weird signing. Hoskins slashed .316/.442/.658 playing 1B and .213/.359/.585 playing LF. Seems pretty fucking stupid to move him to LF permanently. Is that the plan?

Those numbers may be very skewed in that Hoskins went dead cold after his first thirty games.

Why? People only play 1B if they have to. If you can play somewhere else, you do. Hoskins will never be a great defender, but he's good enough in LF.

Those splits are almost certainly small sample noise.

It's not about his defensive ability - it's about his defensive position affecting his comfort offensively.

What would you consider a relevant sample size? Looks like he played 23 games at 1B and 29 in LF. It just seems odd to sign a guy who primarily plays a position where you already have a back log. They can't trade Tommy Joseph for anything more than a bag of balls, so will they just DFA him? Plus, pushing Hoskins to the OF also means moving one of Williams, Herrera, or Altherr to the bench.

It's not about his defensive ability - it's about his defensive position affecting his comfort offensively.

What would you consider a relevant sample size? Looks like he played 23 games at 1B and 29 in LF. It just seems odd to sign a guy who primarily plays a position where you already have a back log. They can't trade Tommy Joseph for anything more than a bag of balls, so will they just DFA him? Plus, pushing Hoskins to the OF also means moving one of Williams, Herrera, or Altherr to the bench.

~500+ PA at each position - that's about what it takes for triple slash stats to normalize

Fair enough. Should be an interesting dynamic at the very least. Seems like maybe they're not done making moves anyway.

What the Phillies did with these two moves doesn't make a lot of sense unless they are followed by some other moves.

Galvis for a single minor league pitcher particularly seems like not getting value for a starting shortstop.

Tommy Joseph would be better placed as a DH in the AL. Swapping him for a minor league pitcher I could see. Give Hoskins a true shot at the first base job.

What the Phillies did with these two moves doesn't make a lot of sense unless they are followed by some other moves.

Galvis for a single minor league pitcher particularly seems like not getting value for a starting shortstop.

Tommy Joseph would be better placed as a DH in the AL. Swapping him for a minor league pitcher I could see. Give Hoskins a true shot at the first base job.

JP Crawford will play SS and Hoskins will play LF. You can argue they should have received a better return for Galvis (I’m sure they tried), but Crawford is the SS of the future and is as ready as he’ll ever be. Joseph is not a first division regular. I’m sure he can be had for very little, but that was likely true before the Santana signing.

JP Crawford will play SS and Hoskins will play LF. You can argue they should have received a better return for Galvis (I’m sure they tried), but Crawford is the SS of the future and is as ready as he’ll ever be. Joseph is not a first division regular. I’m sure he can be had for very little, but that was likely true before the Santana signing.

By moving Hoskins into the OF, are the Phils going to do a four man rotation?

I would assume Hoskins full time in LF, Herrera full time in CF, and Altherr and Williams platooning in RF.

Have to imagine there is something in the works moving one of the three young OF's (maybe packaging with Hernandez) for a starting pitcher.

They weren't going to get anything more for Galvis. Everyone knew they had to trade him as Crawford is ready and Galvis is a poor offensive player on the last year of his contract. With more teams like the Phils considering going with 13 pitchers, Galvis will possibly be in high demand next year as he is excellent defensively at a number of positions and provides great flexibility for a short bench.

Have to imagine there is something in the works moving one of the three young OF's (maybe packaging with Hernandez) for a starting pitcher.

They weren't going to get anything more for Galvis. Everyone knew they had to trade him as Crawford is ready and Galvis is a poor offensive player on the last year of his contract. With more teams like the Phils considering going with 13 pitchers, Galvis will possibly be in high demand next year as he is excellent defensively at a number of positions and provides great flexibility for a short bench.

That is why I thought the Phillies sold low on Galvis. As you noted he is capable of playing multiple infield positions. Phils should have gotten more than one minor league maybe for him.

i mean he's a below average player being paid like one. he wasn't a very valuable trade piece.

Galvis has shown that he can field multiple infield positions at a major league level. Has a below average ML bat. Thought that should be worth more than one AA pitching prospect. But that what the Phillies were willing to let him go for. NBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back