• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official MLB SPRING TRAINING THREAD (Cobb signs with O's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many teams have been burned by signing players to long contracts (Albert Pujols, Jordan Zimmerman, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jason Heyward, Matt Cain, Homer Bailey) that MLB just aren't willing to make a long term commitment unless you are Giancarlo Stanton, Mike Trout, Clayton Kershaw or Bryce Harper type; it's more cost effective to invest in developing your own talent or signing international free agents. Also, the escalating penalties for going over the $195 million threshold is having a real impact. A lot of players are going to be signing for less than the tenders offered by their old teams.

2018 Cooperstown:

Chipper Jones

More coming

Vlad Guerrero...LOVE IT!!

you do realize there's been a 10 second count to deliver a pitch for decades, right?

I'm aware. And I think it is 12 seconds in the majors. Every level of baseball has something similar. The difference is it's enforced more informally by the umpire and catcher. The idea of a clock counting down for everyone to see is just ridiculous. Besides, it's meant to be a pace of play thing, not a basketball like shot clock. If a pitcher is keeping good pace but once or twice needs to step off, no big deal. If it's a problem, I let the catcher know to get it fixed or we have a problem. Having umpired a lot of games (albeit not MLB), I have never had a problem with this. And I don't get the sense that pitchers have anything to gain from dragging either. Keeping the batter in the box and ready to go would do way more. Usually the pitcher is waiting on the batter to readjust everything on this body before every pitch. That needs to be done away with. All levels through college batters know except in very certain situations you better be set and ready to go. Start calling strikes every time Bryce steps out to redo all five pieces of protective gear he wears will shave time off games more than a pitch clock.

Besides all that, the biggest issue with game time is the push for high scoring games and home runs, etc. 2-1 games generally can be finished rather quickly (unless there are 22 pitching changes) compared to 8-5 games. We (umpires) are taught strikes and outs end games, walks and hits extend it. And I'm not talking absurdly huge strike zones, but for most of baseball's history the zone was much bigger, and pitchers were rewarded for hitting spots and "making pitches." See Greg Maddux in the 90s. Every game I've ever had the stick on where I had a consistent and pitcher friendly zone has been a pretty good game without a whole lot of arguments. Putting that (inaccurate) pitch box on television has fucked up the balance. Having to put the ball on a tee the whole game leads to alot more offense and alot more pitching changes (because pitch counts soar on more close pitches called balls and hits) which leads to really long games.

If you really want to fix things just get back to baseball. Bigger strike zones within reason. Going apeshit because a ball was 1 inch off the corner ruins the game. You'll also get starters going 7-8 again and reduce these tiresome pitch by committee bullpens.

Get rid of replay. I thought it was a dumb idea anyway. It has basically made football unwatchable and ruins baseball. MLB umpires are really good, and you don't need 12 different angles on a swipe tag that clearly beats the runner into second that looks good to the 45,000 people sitting there. Get your ass to the dug out and get a better jump next time. Will some calls be missed? Yup. But there are so few gross misses at that level it's just not worth it, especially if it makes the game boring.

A well-managed, well-played baseball game should (and does) move along at an enjoyable pace. Take all this BS out of the game and a lot of the problem goes away. To the extent that there really is a problem. Seems to me baseball is faring pretty well compared to professional sports in general, Little League and travel teams are booming, and the MLB has to be the most international and diverse sport in this country with huge potential to grow. And the MLB playoffs/World Series the past couple of years has been awesome. I don't care how long those games go as I've freed up my sports viewing time by not watching much basketball or football anymore.

Last edited:
MLB has to be the most international and diverse sport in this country

It's up there but not unique. On nationality diversity, MLS is higher (55%+ foreign) and NBA is about the same (just under 30% foreign).

It's up there but not unique. On nationality diversity, MLS is higher (55%+ foreign) and NBA is about the same (just under 30% foreign).

Thanks for the correction. I don't follow either of those but should have assumed atleast about soccer. The NBA stat kind of surprised me but hadn't given it much thought.

Brewers trade for Yelich. They gave up Brinson, who has been a top prospect, but doesn't appear to be blue chip - seems like an ok, but light haul for what they were looking for - Brinson is the only guy that is anywhere close to MLB-ready, the others seem a few years out.

Central should be interesting this year.

And the brewcrew just signed Lorenzo Cain for 5/$80. Braun/Yelich/Cain is a pretty nice outfield.

If they get Darvish, they could make some noise.

3 teams trying to win in the NL Central

Reds hoping to compete once their farm system matures

Pirates cashing luxury tax checks

Brewers have a crowded OF now - have to think they'll try to flip at least one for a pitcher if they can't snag a FA.

Oscar Gamble has died at 68. He played about 15 seasons in the bigs and some nice seasons for the PHillies and Yankees. He had a cannon for an arm. What he's most remembered for is his outrageous Fro and having a lot of fun.

Baseball needs more Oscar Gambles these days.

RIP

Official MLB HOT STOVE THREAD (McCutchen/Longo to Giants, Cole to Stros)

One of my favorite baseball cards of all time was the Oscar Gamble big fro card

Oscar Gamble has died at 68. He played about 15 seasons in the bigs and some nice seasons for the PHillies and Yankees. He had a cannon for an arm. What he's most remembered for is his outrageous Fro and having a lot of fun.

Baseball needs more Oscar Gambles these days.

RIP

Sad news. Another player who was fun to watch play as I was growing up is gone. Oscar was pretty good, but I don't think he would ever be considered Hall of Fame material.

RIP.

Mark Appel, the #8 overall pick in the 2012 MLB draft and the #1 overall pick in the 2013 draft, is stepping away from baseball to attend business school. Appel was considered the top MLB prospect in college baseball in 2012 and 2013. While he is not formally retiring, it sounds like a permanent decision, and he has a surprisingly honest self assessment:

“Some people have real struggles. I played baseball. I thought I was going to be great, and I wasn’t.” Ouch.

If he never returns to the game, Appel will be only the 3rd 1st pick of an MLB draft to not spend a day as a MLB player. The Phillies received Appel from the Astros as part of the Ken Giles trade. The Phillies will retain Appel's rights. Link to the article about Appel's situation: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/mark-appel-stepping-away-from-baseball.html

Jeffrey Loria not sharing profits with county or city from $1.2 billion Marlins sale

The 2008 county agreement that had Miami-Dade fund the bulk of the $515 million government-owned stadium in Little Havana gave Miami-Dade and Miami the right to 5 percent of any profits Loria and partners may reap if they sold the team within 10 years. But Loria could deduct team debt, certain expenses and taxes tied to a sale, and county officials and team executives were privately predicting Loria wouldn’t agree to give up any of his revenue from the October sale to Derek Jeter and partners. Loria bought the Marlins in 2002 for $158 million, and it’s described by the league and current ownership as a money-losing franchise.

In a brief report sent by Loria lawyers, his organization said the terms of the deal resulted in a profit-sharing calculation of zero. The reason? About $280 million in debt that lowered the profits from the $1.2 billion sale, plus an agreed-to underlying value of the franchise of about $625 million, based on it getting more valuable each year. Add in nearly $300 million in taxes tied to the sale by Loria and partners, and Loria’s accountants claim the sale amounted to a loss of $141 million. Loria also deducted the $30 million fee paid to the financial advisors hired to negotiate the deal.

That's some creative(?) accounting.

Jeffrey Loria: still the worst.

LOL

Agents need to show they are still working for their players.

Really not sure why no one is signing these guys, everyone knows KBs BFF and Albert Almoras BFF will both end up on the Cubs next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back