• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official MLB SPRING TRAINING THREAD (Cobb signs with O's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tired of the players complaining about the lack of big money free agent deals this off-season. A prime complainer is Scott Boras agent for Jake Arrieta.

Jake Arrieta is 32 and in a decline. A team would be idiotic to throw 5 years and $100 million at him. Teams have learned that spending big money on multi-year deals on pitchers over 30 (James Shields, Ian Kennedy, Matt Cain) cripples teams for years. Sorry, Jake, but it makes more sense to pay Tyler Chatwood $38 million for 3 years than $100 million for Arrieta (or Alex Cobb or Matt Garza or John Lackey or Lance Lynn).

Just went through the list of remaining free agents (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018-mlb-free-agent-tracker ), and all of the the ones that have enough of track record to get into the argument for a major deal have some glaring question marks (injury history, age and/or spotty recent performance).

I would guess Jake has a decent contact offer - it's all about years for him and Yu, they will hold out as long as they can. Martinez and Hosmer are a but different. Hosmer getting the deal hes about to get is silly and the sawx are going to get martinez in a steal.

Also, its not just free agents complaining - based on what ive seen it appears to be more like a bad bargained deal last time. Would guess we are gonna have a strike or come really close at some point.

I would guess Jake has a decent contact offer - it's all about years for him and Yu, they will hold out as long as they can. Martinez and Hosmer are a but different. Hosmer getting the deal hes about to get is silly and the sawx are going to get martinez in a steal.

Doesn't Hosmer have an 8-year deal from the Padres on the table?

Meanwhile, Thumbs Down Frazier signs a two-year deal with the Mets. Guess he really wanted to stay in NYC and the Yanks weren't into it.

Doesn't Hosmer have an 8-year deal from the Padres on the table?

Meanwhile, Thumbs Down Frazier signs a two-year deal with the Mets. Guess he really wanted to stay in NYC and the Yanks weren't into it.

Hosmer has something massive from the Pads, but is holding out on the Royals - hes not going to be a 4 war player in san diego. Frazier took the best deal he could get, I think.

Final Boss signs with the Rangers for $4+ million - he looked very average last year.

Nats had Raudy Read, one of their back up catchers get 80 game suspension for PEDs. (Some kind of steroid.) He was one of the guy they were looking at as backup for Weiters. Now he will be their at home guy for half a season. He probably would have been their AAA starting catcher.

I'm ok with that - I saw 6 years originally and freaked out, but that will keep them below the luxury tax line this year and may not be terrible at the end of the contract.

Also, pretty pumped about Yu regardless.

Plus Asian pitchers are generally more durable than crackers. #benevolentracism

Pads get Hosmer on an 8/$144 deal with an opt out after 5/$105. Meh, weird deal.

Also, no clue what the rays are doing. Odirizzi gone for a nothing prospect and Dickerson DFA'd for CJ Cron? I'm assuming there is a plan, cause those bros are smarter than me, I just don't get it.

Pretty funny that Dave Cameron went to work for the pads and they sign Hosmer. He never liked Hosmer at all.

Grover: Is it fair to say that any team that can’t come up with some internal option to give you, say, 75% of Eric Hosmer’s production at a fraction of the cost probably isn’t in a position organizationally to be blowing $100+ million on free agents?

12:44
Dave Cameron: Not necessarily. If Hosmer gets 5/110 or something, it’s not a bad contract.

12:44
Dave Cameron: It’s the 7/150 that should scare you.

The Average Sports Fan: Is Eric Hosmer good? What does his next contract look like?

12:05
Dave Cameron: I think it’s difficult to defend the idea that, to this point, Eric Hosmer has been a good MLB player. He just hasn’t hit well enough to be a good first baseman, and there isn’t enough evidence to support the idea that he’s made up for it with his glove.

That said, the Statcast numbers suggest that he could be a good hitter with a different launch angle, and scouts obviously love the swing, so that combination probably makes him more likely than most meh players to become a good player in the future. I don’t think it would be all that weird if he finally figured out how to stop hitting groundballs at some point and became the guy the Royals apparently think he is already.

12:06
Dave Cameron: If he signs an extension with the Royals this spring, he’s probably looking at 7/$120M or something. If he gets to FA, whether he gets more or less depends on what he does in 2017. I wouldn’t be interested at that price.

I mean, the contact Cameron outlined is basically what Hosmer got. The last 3 years are at $13/year, it's not a terrible hit at that point. I just don't get the Padres making that move, they aren't close in the West, and Hosmer is not much of an upgrade over Myers, who I guess goes to some COF at this point, where his bat is just ok.

Makes no sense to me. Hosmer is not a plus defender or anything.

Pads get Hosmer on an 8/$144 deal with an opt out after 5/$105. Meh, weird deal.

Also, no clue what the rays are doing. Odirizzi gone for a nothing prospect and Dickerson DFA'd for CJ Cron? I'm assuming there is a plan, cause those bros are smarter than me, I just don't get it.

Yeah, the Rays firesale is weird. Sucks the O's couldn't have picked up Odorizzi. But CASHNER! I expect they might pick up something like Lynn and Tillman though. Need MOAR arms.

I have a soft spot for Cash, but i think last year is about the absolute best possible scenario for him.

Washington Post has an article by Dave Sheinen about the spread of "Moneyball" advanced statistics to almost every team in baseball, and the impact on free agents this year. He and Billy Beane are saying that the spread of analytics is leading to the lack of long term big money contracts for mature baseball players.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...luing-the-same-things/?utm_term=.d490d79b4132

Seems like the common ground would be restructuring the CBA to benefit players when they're younger and in their primes. I don't think any analytically-minded GM would mind dropping $300m on a 23 year-old Machado - makes more sense than dropping $150m on a 32 year-old Arrieta.

Pretty funny that Dave Cameron went to work for the pads and they sign Hosmer. He never liked Hosmer at all.

I didn’t realize Cameron went to work for the Pads. That is a long way from starting a website dedicated to covering the Mariners. Good for him.

Rays fire sale continues. They are defs trading Archer at the deadline.

I'd be surprised on archer or kk. once the longo trade happened it made sense to move on average players that are just going to have us mired in another 77 win team. fine with the souza deal, but I'd rather have trea turner. the talent the rays have in the upper minors is very strong. pulling an atl and rebuilding for the new stadium across town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back