• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official National Signing Day Thread

It's weird how Claw can talk about character and it doesn't piss me off. Maybe it's because he doesn't use it as an excuse to not do his job.

I am more impressed every time I hear him speak. It's going to take time but he is saying AND DOING the right things, and it's exciting to follow.

Watching the press conference - in half of the discussions of each player he maybe checks his notes once or twice for a split second. Knows these kids inside and out. Really impressive.

When I left the Miller center this morning at around 7 they were out on the practice field getting chewed out, probably just getting done doing some conditioning. Whatever coach it was was swearing like a sailor and the players were dead quiet and he had their attention. Loved it.

When I left the Miller center this morning at around 7 they were out on the practice field getting chewed out, probably just getting done doing some conditioning. Whatever coach it was was swearing like a sailor and the players were dead quiet and he had their attention. Loved it.
Nice. It's like the military. Have to tear them down first before they can then build them back up.

The guys currently on the team are probably in a little shock right now. For all the seniors and RS juniors, nobody who was there when they were recruited is still there. That leaves them without a "go to" guy on the staff. They need to develop that again. Relationships take time. Also, they all have probably been told that nobody has a starting position right now - all will have to be earned in the spring. Probably not a happy thought for someone who has been busting his butt for four years, started for several, and now has to start over... May see some potential RS seniors graduate this May and move on.

As noted, the winter strength and conditioning appears tougher than previous. Something of a change from some years back when Wake guys would compare notes with friends on other teams and find they were working harder than a lot of the bigger name schools. Maybe this strength and conditioning staff will get that situation back in place.

They are weeding out all the non-hackers who don't pack the gear to serve in my beloved corps. I can see some of the upperclassmen packing it in, but it is needed. No one was held accountable for the lousey season and Grobe left when confronted on it. This is the price that is paid for failure and complacency.

Not sure the reaction I'll get from saying this, but I'll give credit to Wellman for finding and bringing Clawson to Wake.

If you remember, he was not the first choice of the majority of folks on this board.
That being said, I think we are all thrilled with Clawson being here.
It's been a long time since the excitement level from fans and players has been so high.
Go Deacs.

Not sure the reaction I'll get from saying this, but I'll give credit to Wellman for finding and bringing Clawson to Wake.

If you remember, he was not the first choice of the majority of folks on this board.
It's been a long time since the excitement level from fans and players has been so high.
Go Deacs.

No argument from me.

It's weird how Claw can talk about character and it doesn't piss me off. Maybe it's because he doesn't use it as an excuse to not do his job.

I am more impressed every time I hear him speak. It's going to take time but he is saying AND DOING the right things, and it's exciting to follow.

absolutely. watched the PC last night (thanks to the poster who put up the link) and I bet he repeated 10 times how they are using Wake's academics and academic support as a plus on the recruiting trail. Kept saying that Wake is not for everybody but for kids who are serious about playing big time football and serious about getting a degree we can recruit against anyone. big change from Grobe with his whining the last couple years about how hard it is to get kids to come here with all that pesky academics. I think Buzz and his "Tuesday is a hard day academically" rubbed off on Grobe.

Go Deacs.

Agreed, but you can't be good at your job half the time.

Two more interesting quotes:
Smith is the senior quarterback at four-time defending Division 6 state champion Ithaca, a small community just west of US-127 with the nicest high school football facility this side of Texas — thanks in large part to Smith’s grandfather.

Can’t wait to see what plans Smith’s grandfather has for Wake Forest’s stadium.

Ok, that was a little bit of a stretch. Ithaca does have a nice stadium for a small school, thanks in large part to Steve Smith who is Travis' grandfather. He is a successful businessman as well as a very generous person. He is not going to be flying to games in a private jet or donating millions to the Deacons football team.

http://www.abc12.com/story/23295448/ithaca-celebrating-100-years-of-football-in-new-stadium

Last edited:
Ok, that was a little bit of a stretch. Ithaca does have a nice stadium for a small school, thanks in large part to Steve Smith who is Travis's grandfather. He is a successful businessman and as well as a very generous person. He is not going to be flying to games in a private jet or donating millions to the Deacons football team.

http://www.abc12.com/story/23295448/ithaca-celebrating-100-years-of-football-in-new-stadium

No digging the track around the field, but otherwise a very nice facility.

To be fair, Grobe used the same commit/visit percentage stat. I think we're going to be getting visits from higher caliber players. I agree with deaconblue. It will be good for that success rate to go down because of a bigger denominator with better players more competitive offer sheets.

It's just great to see our fans appreciating what Clawson is doing and understanding that Grobe's way wasn't the only way and that he wasn't getting the most out of this program. Hopefully the next thing to go will be that "no matter what, we're going to struggle next year" talk.

Last edited:

oprah-free-car.gif

Go Deacs.

Wasn't Mike Buddie the one who spearheaded this one? I know he spent 10 hours interviewing Clawson.

Wasn't Mike Buddie the one who spearheaded this one? I know he spent 10 hours interviewing Clawson.

He's the X-factor in a basketball search.

Go Deacs.

Think about the degree to which this would occur (no doubt in high multiples of this feeling) if/when we hire someone with even a modicum of coaching ability in basketball.

Back