• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official National Signing Day Thread

When I left the Miller center this morning at around 7 they were out on the practice field getting chewed out, probably just getting done doing some conditioning. Whatever coach it was was swearing like a sailor and the players were dead quiet and he had their attention. Loved it.

what are you, some kinda wise guy?

Clawson is on the David Glenn show right now if you're in town.

Says if they kept all their offers unless academic issues so I guess that answers Harris.

Not sure the reaction I'll get from saying this, but I'll give credit to Wellman for finding and bringing Clawson to Wake.

If you remember, he was not the first choice of the majority of folks on this board.
That being said, I think we are all thrilled with Clawson being here.
It's been a long time since the excitement level from fans and players has been so high.
Go Deacs.

I was disappointed with the Buzz hire and because of misplaced faith in Wellman, I tried to believe. But after the last four years, I'm not giving Ron Wellman credit for squat until I see success on the field. The Clawson hire looks good so far, but he was hired by a dishonest incompetent AD. Enough said...

Would have been interesting, at least with Harris, to see what they would have done with him.

They are weeding out all the non-hackers who don't pack the gear to serve in my beloved corps. I can see some of the upperclassmen packing it in, but it is needed. No one was held accountable for the lousey season and Grobe left when confronted on it. This is the price that is paid for failure and complacency.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DEACS76 again.

Interesting. Two guys we didn't want couldn't make the cut academically. That worked out nicely.

So what does it say that we offered guys who were not Wake Forest caliber in terms of academics and athletics? Not only that, they committed last summer, so it seems like they were almost a priority for our staff.

So what does it say that we offered guys who were not Wake Forest caliber in terms of academics and athletics? Not only that, they committed last summer, so it seems like they were almost a priority for our staff.

Ridiculous.

Now to be fair, we don't know whether or not academics were actually an issue. I will still criticize that it appears that no other schools even close to BCS caliber were recruiting either of these two. I wish these two nothing but the best, but I do think that's an indictment on the former staff.

Also pretty funny how after we offered and landed players their rankings went down. Yet Harris stayed at a 3 star.

Is there a thread on the recruiting luncheon that I missed? That was pretty fun

Two more interesting quotes:
Smith is the senior quarterback at four-time defending Division 6 state champion Ithaca, a small community just west of US-127 with the nicest high school football facility this side of Texas — thanks in large part to Smith’s grandfather.

Can’t wait to see what plans Smith’s grandfather has for Wake Forest’s stadium.

I like that Smith hasn't lost since 8th grade. I think there is going to be stiff competition between Cameron, Smith, and Wolford this summer and I almost guarantee one of them will not redshirt.

Also pretty funny how after we offered and landed players their rankings went down. Yet Harris stayed at a 3 star.

Can't evaluate a player without film.

“They told me they’re working twice as hard as they ever did with their old coaching staff.

I purchased season tickets year after year in part because I assumed that the staff was doing everything that could be done to build a winning team. This angers me. Is anyone overseeing what is going on in the athletic department?

Now to be fair, we don't know whether or not academics were actually an issue. I will still criticize that it appears that no other schools even close to BCS caliber were recruiting either of these two. I wish these two nothing but the best, but I do think that's an indictment on the former staff.

Right. It could have been "academics" or it really could have been academics. Also, there is a possibility that the offer was honored, but they were told that they were likely not going to see the field.

I purchased season tickets year after year in part because I assumed that the staff was doing everything that could be done to build a winning team. This angers me. Is anyone overseeing what is going on in the athletic department?

You and several thousand others.

A friend on FB watched the PC. Supposedly Clawson mentioned we had 27 visits to campus by recruits and 22 of them signed. Holy hell.

Impossible. We don't have an inddor practice facility.

Back