• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

My friend won a ~$500 driver shaft in a scramble tournament. Two weeks (and maybe three rounds) after he got it installed, it snapped as he was putting his club back in his bag. Company said "tough shit, you must have forced it in". No bueno.

Thank you for the analysis. Would be tough to make a choice without this kind of valuable input.

The point being, neither is the wrong choice. I have friends with both and they all like them. I just have no personal experience. It's not really that complicated to figure out. Glad it was a big enough deal for you to comment on it

In the middle of a pretty solid golf week for me. Played Tobacco Road Friday for the first time (loved it), played Primland for the 5th or 6th time yesterday, have my Apex Pros coming in tomorrow finally, and have a Pinehurst trip starting Friday. Yes please.

Hit Top Golf in Charlotte last night for the first time, it was pretty sweet. Cost as much as a regular round but I'll probably do it once or twice a year

Hit Top Golf in Charlotte last night for the first time, it was pretty sweet. Cost as much as a regular round but I'll probably do it once or twice a year

Never been to a topgolf but hope to hit that one soon, do you take your own clubs? Or is that a douche move

I'll probably go some time this winter when it's not so crowded.

I'm thinking about getting new irons since my MP-60s are about 12 years old now and I need more forgiveness. Not overly concerned with distance but a little bit wouldn't be the worst thing. Any suggestions for sub 5 handicap? Anyone have experience with the "mixed" (don't know what they really call them) iron sets where the short irons are blades and long irons have a little more cavity to them (I think Titleist mixes clubs for a set like this)?

Having not bought irons in a while, I'm concerned that buying new ones may lead to other club purchases due to new gaps in yardages which after buying a driver this year already could be out of the question for the time being.

Never been to a topgolf but hope to hit that one soon, do you take your own clubs? Or is that a douche move

I took my own clubs, as did many others in the bays around me, but I gotta say I did feel pretty douchy about it. Next time I'll still probably take my own clubs but I wont roll in with my entire bag, just a wedge and mid iron. The rubber tees are too short for any large face driver so it kinda locks you in to using their driver.

The clubs they provide are white labeled Callaways, FWIW.

I'm thinking about getting new irons since my MP-60s are about 12 years old now and I need more forgiveness. Not overly concerned with distance but a little bit wouldn't be the worst thing. Any suggestions for sub 5 handicap? Anyone have experience with the "mixed" (don't know what they really call them) iron sets where the short irons are blades and long irons have a little more cavity to them (I think Titleist mixes clubs for a set like this)?

Having not bought irons in a while, I'm concerned that buying new ones may lead to other club purchases due to new gaps in yardages which after buying a driver this year already could be out of the question for the time being.

Titleist AP2s, can't go wrong. I actually have the MBs from PW-8, and the AP2 from 7-4. Works out pretty well, although I have a larger than usual distance gap between 7 and 8.

I'm playing in a charity tournament on the 24th, where we apparently get $150 to spend on Titleist stuff before the round. The question is, should I go for a new Vokey SW, or splurge and put it towards a Scotty (assuming they will have them)? My old Scotty got stolen out of my car a couple years ago, and I've been messing around with 3 or 4 different putters that were picked up out of the garage/from friends. They all suck (I suck).

I'd go with the Scotty since you'll use that a lot more each round, and it's a lot easier to justify spending your own $120 later on a vokey if you really need a new wedge. Just my .02

I’ve bought a few Scottys from people around the DC are with the Let Go app. I still love my Newport 2 I got 15 years ago but I’m not steady enough anymore for a putter that light so I rotate between the Futura and a new Odyssey I won in a member guest raffle.

I'd go with the Scotty since you'll use that a lot more each round, and it's a lot easier to justify spending your own $120 later on a vokey if you really need a new wedge. Just my .02

This is my thinking too, but retail on a Scotty now is like $400. That is absurd.

Titleist AP2s, can't go wrong. I actually have the MBs from PW-8, and the AP2 from 7-4. Works out pretty well, although I have a larger than usual distance gap between 7 and 8.

I'm playing in a charity tournament on the 24th, where we apparently get $150 to spend on Titleist stuff before the round. The question is, should I go for a new Vokey SW, or splurge and put it towards a Scotty (assuming they will have them)? My old Scotty got stolen out of my car a couple years ago, and I've been messing around with 3 or 4 different putters that were picked up out of the garage/from friends. They all suck (I suck).

That's my big concern, plus with a new 3 iron I may end up being at the same distance or close as my hybrid (I'd rather hit a 3 iron). Wish you could hit each iron in the set before buying so you know what gaps there will be and adjust accordingly rather than buying a new wedge/hybrid or something to fill the gaps

That's my big concern, plus with a new 3 iron I may end up being at the same distance or close as my hybrid (I'd rather hit a 3 iron). Wish you could hit each iron in the set before buying so you know what gaps there will be and adjust accordingly rather than buying a new wedge/hybrid or something to fill the gaps

Agreed. Have you tried the Titleist 716T Utility/Driving iron? If you like hitting long irons over hybrids (I do too), you will buy it immediately.

At this point in my game, I really don't see the need for blades, so will probably just go to all AP2s soon. Much more forgiving, and seem just as solid/workable as the MBs.

Agreed. Have you tried the Titleist 716T Utility/Driving iron? If you like hitting long irons over hybrids (I do too), you will buy it immediately.

At this point in my game, I really don't see the need for blades, so will probably just go to all AP2s soon. Much more forgiving, and seem just as solid/workable as the MBs.

I tried the AP2 7 iron at the range the other day and hit it like crap. Good feel in hand. It not sure if the weighting was odd or what. Hit the M1 (7 iron which has the loft of about a 6 iron). That thing is forgiving and long. Felt great but being a sub 3 handicap I'm not sure it'll be a viable option for being able to control ball flight since it's a little bulkier. Anyone have experience with the M1?

I tried the AP2 7 iron at the range the other day and hit it like crap. Good feel in hand. It not sure if the weighting was odd or what. Hit the M1 (7 iron which has the loft of about a 6 iron). That thing is forgiving and long. Felt great but being a sub 3 handicap I'm not sure it'll be a viable option for being able to control ball flight since it's a little bulkier. Anyone have experience with the M1?

I had the TM Speed Blades which I think are very similar to the M1s now. Went for a little hotter club as I don't hit it very far. I'm like a 2.5 index and just didn't have the feel/control/feedback from them. Just got my Apex Pros in on Friday am, stuck them in the bag for 4 rounds in 3 days in Pinehurst and went 72/77/77/75 and it's a big difference. Tighter lies and feed back was a big difference. Going to like them a lot going forward once I can really get dialed in even if I lose 5 yards or so an iron.

I had the TM Speed Blades which I think are very similar to the M1s now. Went for a little hotter club as I don't hit it very far. I'm like a 2.5 index and just didn't have the feel/control/feedback from them. Just got my Apex Pros in on Friday am, stuck them in the bag for 4 rounds in 3 days in Pinehurst and went 72/77/77/75 and it's a big difference. Tighter lies and feed back was a big difference. Going to like them a lot going forward once I can really get dialed in even if I lose 5 yards or so an iron.

I'll have to give those a shot. Problem is I'm lefty and selection is a little limited for demos. I hit the apex but not the tour. Interested in their combo set as well.

I'm a lefty as well and it took forever to find one to hit. Finally found it at one of the PGA super stores in Myrtle. Agree with tigerwoods on the AP2's, those things are sweet. Hit them really well as well, and my brother loves his set. New AP3s may be an option as well, although they probably aren't out until around December or so.

Back