• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

A friend of mine's boss just joined Congressional, which has 72 holes. $100K initiation fee with the stipulation that he cannot play the blue course (the famous one) for 3 years and cannot play on the weekend for 3 years.

Pretty sure it's just the blue course (the us open one) that you can't play while you're a restricted member. Although even once you're a full member there's still some jockeying for weekend tee times because they have over 1000 members.

Awesome stuff. In that case, it certainly makes sense. If you do move to Charlotte, let me know. My club isn't one of the "elite" in town (Quail, Charlotte, Myers Park), but it has awesome reciprocals throughout the Carolinas, and is going to go through a huge renovation in the next year.

We're going through a renovation right now and have a shit ton of reciprocals. Haven't been able to play a single round at any of them in the past two months. Repped you to ask what course is undergoing renovation next year. Carolina?

My course is doing some p sweet renos. Been playing a lot more since getting a golf cart and living dat #golfcartlifestyle. Usually jump on for 5-9 holes after dinner every night. Unless the boy is calling for the pool, then I'll do 3 or 4 holes and take em to the pool. Also in golf cart. Yes! Rubbins!

Tim, my Pinehurst trip was awesome. CCNC is one of my favorite courses ever. I preferred Cardinal to Dogwood which seems to be a minority opinion.

No. 8 was in great shape when we played. It was tough but fair. Pine Needles had a lot of construction going on, but the layout was superb. This was my first time down there and we already plan to go back. Pinehurst is a special place for someone (or a group of someone's) who love golf.

A few of my friends from home that are very good golfers prefer Cardinal also. A better scoring course and a much better 18th hole. I definitely prefer Dogwood though, the back nine is tough to beat for aesthetics.

Swing starting to come around after several years with minimal play. Finally have more time + course options to get out. Starting to actually turn consistently and get to the left side. Dat compression.

Now, do I do the full dive and get fitted for new sticks? Mine are still relatively new but second-hand. Definitely a touch long and upright.

I feel ok with my DC public course rotation of Whiskey Creek, Potomac Shores, Worthington Manor, Blue Mash, Lake Presidential, etc plus I get invites out to Belle Haven and Chevy every now and then. A friend of mine's (super duper rich) dad is a member at Chevy, Congressional, and Burning Tree. He keeps promising me a round at the latter two but we'll see if that ever happens.

Ha, this is a perfect description of my golf life in DC... Except I don't know any Burning Tree members. I do have a Creighton Farms connection though, and a Belmont one. Switch Lake Pres for Bull Run though...

I used to know a pilot who worked part time at Belle Haven and we played multiple times a week for free. Sweet deal while it lasted.

We're going through a renovation right now and have a shit ton of reciprocals. Haven't been able to play a single round at any of them in the past two months. Repped you to ask what course is undergoing renovation next year. Carolina?

Providence. Rumors are it's between Davis Love III or Tom Doak, with Chris Spence making a late push. I'm hoping for Doak, but would be really interested to see what Spence would do since PCC is nowhere close to a Ross course, and he's the Ross guru.

As far as reciprocals, I am definitely concerned for sure about getting weekend times anywhere in town. I was referring to the reciprocals at any McConnell Golf club, which is awesome. It's the 11 in the picture below plus Providence and Holston Hills in Knoxville. It's supposed to be capped at 6 rounds per other club, per year, but I've heard they don't keep track. Let me know if you ever want to tee it up.

Multimembership.jpeg

Isn't that really just the McConnell network since Providence is now a McConnell club ?

Both the post and picture said as much.

I've never played Old North State, probably need to remedy that.

Favorite course in NC. Although, I've barely played any of the mountain courses. 16-17-18 at ONSC might be my favorite three finishing holes I've ever played. The lodge onsite is a cool/inexpensive place to stay, too.

Favorite course in NC. Although, I've barely played any of the mountain courses. 16-17-18 at ONSC might be my favorite three finishing holes I've ever played. The lodge onsite is a cool/inexpensive place to stay, too.

What kind of work are they planning to do out at Providence CC next year? Played a tournament out there in April (first time I'd been out there since high school nearly 20 years ago), and enjoyed the course, but felt like it kept driver out of your hands on the par 5's too often. Strong set of par 3's out there, especially when the wind is blowing (which it was a couple of days that weekend).

If I ever joined a club, I feel like it would end up being one of the McConnell courses, just due to the reciprocals. I've played about half of them, need to figure out a way to knock the rest off my list. Do you just end up paying a cart fee and a small guest greens fee when you go to another club in the network?

What kind of work are they planning to do out at Providence CC next year? Played a tournament out there in April (first time I'd been out there since high school nearly 20 years ago), and enjoyed the course, but felt like it kept driver out of your hands on the par 5's too often. Strong set of par 3's out there, especially when the wind is blowing (which it was a couple of days that weekend).

If I ever joined a club, I feel like it would end up being one of the McConnell courses, just due to the reciprocals. I've played about half of them, need to figure out a way to knock the rest off my list. Do you just end up paying a cart fee and a small guest greens fee when you go to another club in the network?

It's being kept very close to the vest, but I know they're redoing/changing all the bunkers, which are currently the worst part of the course. Putting in Bermuda greens is probably a done deal, although some serious tree removal will be necessary on a couple of holes. You're definitely right about not hitting Driver. I'm a pretty big hitter, and will only hit it 2-4 times a round. I've heard they'll be rerouting some of the holes/adding contouring to adjust this. I think the 5 par 5s/5 par 3s is pretty awesome, but bet they'll back it down to 4 and 4 with the updates.

Cart fee only for the reciprocals. I think they may restrict times on weekend mornings, but have never encountered a problem playing where/when I want (other than Tournaments). Musgrove Mill and Holston Hills are definitely next on my list.

Found a gem Sunday. Moved to Aiken, SC in January and love it, got it all. I'm a member of Woodside Plantation Reserve Club but was hosting a buddy of mine for the week and decided to go off site to the Aiken GC which opened in 1912 and has quite the storied history. Wow!! Not a long track (5900 from the back tees) but great lay out, and a bevy of tough ass greens. All for $30 including cart.

If you are passing thru or live in the area, try this gem out.

It's such a sweet course. That finishing stretch is awesome. Winning our first team championship in high school at that course keeps it at an elevated status in my heart.

Finally decided to make the leap and get a new driver. Down to Callaway Epic and TM M2 both which fit/feel well to me.
Any input would be appreciated. 66 with a handicap of 15; club speed in the mid 90's.

Finally decided to make the leap and get a new driver. Down to Callaway Epic and TM M2 both which fit/feel well to me.
Any input would be appreciated. 66 with a handicap of 15; club speed in the mid 90's.

Go get a fitting and get the one the stats/pro recommend. I thought I liked the Taylor Made more than the Titleist but I did a fitting at a place that had the computer and also the bay opened out to a range so I could actually still see the ball flight. The Titleist was just better for my swing. Didn’t feel as “hot” but over 25 swings with each the Titleist went an average of 8-10 yards farther with less spin.

No wrong answer here - both are fantastic drivers. Just make sure you have the right shaft/loft config for whichever you go with.

If you're really splitting hairs, some folks think the Epic is a little more difficult to get dialed in despite slightly higher ball speeds off the face.

I bought an Epic recently. Got 10-15 yards of extra distance. I was using a Callaway driver that was about 7 years old before. It's an amazing club.

Back