• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I had likely my best round last weekend playing in Kansas City with NoVa.

Course was 72.5, 136 and I went 41-36 for a 77. The kicker is I wasn't even using my clubs. I actually bought the putter I was using that round because I've needed a new one and loved the feel of it. But I'm not sure if I was just feeling it or if the whole bag was helping as well.

I had likely my best round last weekend playing in Kansas City with NoVa.

Course was 72.5, 136 and I went 41-36 for a 77. The kicker is I wasn't even using my clubs. I actually bought the putter I was using that round because I've needed a new one and loved the feel of it. But I'm not sure if I was just feeling it or if the whole bag was helping as well.

haha, that could end up being a very expensive round. Congrats though.

That is sick! He better have picked up the tab after the round.

No need, open bar after the tourney. That being said his last hole in one was in Japan on business and was apparently absurdly expensive, so it evens out.

One cool thing was that the tournament was at the Naval Academy golf course (neat track) and Billy Hurley was there hitting balls, gave a talk and hung out for a while. He also must have donated some of the prizes, because as the winners we got to pick first and I snagged an M1 driver. I checked it out more closely yesterday and it's a tour head, with a plus etched into the hosel and a paint mark on the sweet spot. Has an Evolution III in it, head alone looks like it's worth around $500 according to the internets.

Dang, that's sweet. I played that course a couple of months ago. It was pretty fun, but seemed short from what I recall.

I played with a member and he told me that they recently held the Patriot League championship there. Also, they just hired a greens keeper from BCC to take care of the course, so he was pretty excited for the future of the track.

Last edited:
Oldest son and I playing our Member-Guest this weekend. While we shit the bed on our opening match (blew a 2 hole lead with 3 to play) we did win one of only two skins in the morning practice round.
A cool $425 pick-up.

Oldest son and I playing our Member-Guest this weekend. While we shit the bed on our opening match (blew a 2 hole lead with 3 to play) we did win one of only two skins in the morning practice round.
A cool $425 pick-up.

Nice. With a handicap lower than it should be due to high course ratings/slope at my home course, skins are often the only way I come out ahead.

Dang, that's sweet. I played that course a couple of months ago. It was pretty fun, but seemed short from what I recall.

I played with a member and he told me that they recently held the Patriot League championship there. Also, they just hired a greens keeper from BCC to take care of the course, so he was pretty excited for the future of the track.

Yeah, the greens were outstanding and the new practice areas are really excellent, especially considering the course gets zero funding outside of dues/fees and booster support. They're putting in new tees to stretch out the course a bit - it's short by today's standards but not crazy short.

Also a random side note, I thought our CEO's bag was pricey - full of PXG. The other guy we played with had a full bag of Miura. Every single club. All were custom fit brand new, couple were special editions... We estimated $10k easy - most valuable bag of clubs I've ever seen in person.

Nice. With a handicap lower than it should be due to high course ratings/slope at my home course, skins are often the only way I come out ahead.

I have the same problem - my handicap can't travel. Played a 7 a few weeks back who plays mostly at another course and he had one of the best swings I've ever seen. Definitely a combination of playing at a tougher course and likely a little handicap manipulation.

So we totally shit the bed in our Member-Guest this weekend. Lost all 5 of our matches; frankly I didn't play too bad but #1 Son was awful. Might have to fly out WF04 or at least put them in a one round playoff to see who gets the invite next year. The Big Get was our opponents in the last day's morning match; great guys who we really enjoyed. The Member here (who I had never met before) also had a son who lived in SF which my son promised to look up (he had just moved there). Later in the Match I asked the Member (who was from NJ) what he did and he told me he was a retired Episcopalian Minister and a Member of Pine Valley since '82. HOLY SHIT!! The F'in Holy Grail!!! He then says, lets get the boys together in the Spring and I'll host.
Holy shit a soft invite to Pine Valley!!! I pee in my pants thinking of it.

So my course just reopened September 1 with new Bermuda greens, new bunkers, and a few changes to the layout. The course plays great and the bunkers are a huge improvement. The greens are going to take some getting used to. I think I gave away five strokes Friday.

My rankings of the courses I played in Scotland/Ireland (with the gaps illustrated):

Royal Dornoch
Royal County Down
Trump Aberdeen (incredible course)

Carnegie Club Skibo Castle

Portmarnock Golf Club

Royal Aberdeen

So my course just reopened September 1 with new Bermuda greens, new bunkers, and a few changes to the layout. The course plays great and the bunkers are a huge improvement. The greens are going to take some getting used to. I think I gave away five strokes Friday.

Super fast?
Champ bermuda is notorious for being very firm and very fast, especially when new.

Yes. A lot faster and a lot less break than you would normally read. They're planning on making them faster next year.

My rankings of the courses I played in Scotland/Ireland (with the gaps illustrated):

Royal Dornoch
Royal County Down
Trump Aberdeen (incredible course)

Carnegie Club Skibo Castle

Portmarnock Golf Club

Royal Aberdeen
I wasn't too impressed with Portmarnock either. May have been the weather but it just didn't do it for me. Favorite course in Ireland was European Club. That place was gorgeous.

I wasn't too impressed with Portmarnock either. May have been the weather but it just didn't do it for me. Favorite course in Ireland was European Club. That place was gorgeous.

I played it in perfect weather and it was just a flat, fine golf course. I think golf.com has it top 40 in the world which is crazy.

I think I'm going to like playing the last course in this (eastern NC) part of the world with bent. Grew up on Bermuda, but ours will be fantastic for the next 9 months.

Back