• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Teed off at 4:36 yesterday and walked 9. Nice to have enough sunlight to do that now.

Taking the trip of my lifetime in May-Scotland.
Playing Turnberry (Ailsa Course) 3x
Crail Golfing Society
Kingsbarns
Castle Course @ St. Andrews
Any insights would be appreciated.

Crail Golfing Society
Kingsbarns

You must have some sort of package deal for Turnberry if you're playing it 3 times.

Have you been to Scotland before?

Crail Golfing Society
Kingsbarns

Crail is a course the locals refer to as a holiday course. It’s the kind of course you’d play with your wife if she wanted to play one round while you’re in Scotland. I’d skip it and try to get on one of the other courses at St. Andrews. I’ve never played the Castle Course, but I like both the New Course and Jubilee Course.

Also, Turnbury is the one course you’re playing that’s on the west coast. All the others are on ththe east side. Don’t know if you knew that.

You must have some sort of package deal for Turnberry if you're playing it 3 times.

Have you been to Scotland before?

Yes, it is a package; we arrive 7:45 am and tee off at Turnberry @ 3pm; then 36 the next day and off to St. Andrews. Six rounds in 4 days, Thurs-Sunday. Home Monday.

Never played Scotland before.

Have fun! I’ve only played Turnberry once and it was after being awake for 30 hours. Only remember one or two holes. Really need to get back over there to play Turnberry and Western Gailes.

Where are you staying in St Andrews?

Kingsbarnes and Castle are great. I’m playing both in August.

Yes, it is a package; we arrive 7:45 am and tee off at Turnberry @ 3pm; then 36 the next day and off to St. Andrews. Six rounds in 4 days, Thurs-Sunday. Home Monday.

Never played Scotland before.

I assume you’re staying at the Turnberry Hotel, then. You’ll love It. Also, Ailsa is one of my favorites in all of Scotland.

Have fun! I’ve only played Turnberry once and it was after being awake for 30 hours. Only remember one or two holes. Really need to get back over there to play Turnberry and Western Gailes.

Where are you staying in St Andrews?

Kingsbarnes and Castle are great. I’m playing both in August.

So lucky; just can’t wait.
Staying 2 nights at T Turnberry Resort and 2 nights at Kinnetles Hotel in St. Andrews.

What's an estimate for how much these Scotland golf trips run?

Not cheap though my son tells me the six of us got a great deal.

$3790 per person includes 4 Nights Accommodations; 6 rounds of golf; Transportation all around and breakfast daily, taxes and fees.

RT Flight running me around $1100 from Atlanta-Edinburgh.

$3790 per person includes 4 Nights Accommodations; 6 rounds of golf; Transportation all around and breakfast daily, taxes and fees.

Did you use a service? My first trip I used SGH Golf and they were great.

I believe the guy who set up the trip used Fairways to Heaven Golf....

The services are definitely worth it, particularly if this is your first trip. The transportation piece is major if you want to have a pint or two after rounds or even just to not have to drive on the wrong side of some of those tiny back roads.

And take caddies. Not cheap, but well worth it. Some of my funniest and fondest memories of my Scotland trips are the caddies.

The services are definitely worth it, particularly if this is your first trip. The transportation piece is major if you want to have a pint or two after rounds or even just to not have to drive on the wrong side of some of those tiny back roads.

And take caddies. Not cheap, but well worth it. Some of my funniest and fondest memories of my Scotland trips are the caddies.

Can confirm.

Having just put together another trip, Turnberry is no doubt more than half the cost of your entire trip. Our one round alone this year is about $500/pp and no lodging (staying in Troon at an AirBNB instead).

For comparison, the trip I pulled together for 4 this June - includes golf, lodging and a minibus driving us around the whole time was $2900. 9 days/8 nights. We save a lot on lodging by avoiding hotels.
The itinerary:
N. Berwick
Castle Course
New Course
Old Course
Carnoustie
Kingsbarns
Western Gailes
Prestwick
Turnberry

Lodging is AirBNB type rental homes. Transportation is a Mercedes minibus and driver. Airfare is extra and ended up being around 900/person.

Trip last summer was about $2100 (Paid almost all of it in full when Brexit happened, plus had an amazing 7 BR house for 8 people that brought lodging costs way down)
N Berwick
Muirfield (36)
Gullane
Old Course
New Course
Castle Course
Eden Course (9)
Carnoustie
Gleneagles
Jubilee Course

On top of all that was airfare, food, caddies, etc. I averaged about $100/day in extra costs for my entire trip. I only take caddies for the rounds at the open venues to save money. My bar tab was pretty legit though.

I've done all the bookings, payments, etc myself for these 2 trips. There is definitely some money to be saved by handling it ourselves instead of through an operator. The hardest part, IMO, is lining up the transportation. In 2017 I cobbled together 3 or 4 bookings with different companies. This time I found a single company (McLaren Golf Travel) that covers both coasts and got a single rate.

No matter the cost, you are in for a treat.

Agree with all of this. For my first trip, someone else organized it and I learned some good stuff from him. We had rental cars that trip, and I vowed to never again have anyone in my own party have to deal with driving over there.

LK, how much was the transportation total? One of our four is very comfortable driving over there but I still think we should get a van/driver.

Transportation was about 1800 USD. We have a couple long hauls in there.

6/23 GLA to N. Berwick
N. Berwick to St. Andrews Lodging
6/24 St. Andrews to Castle Round Trip
6/27 St. Andrews to Carnoustie Round Trip
6/28 St. Andrews to Kingsbarns Round Trip
6/29 St. Andrews to Troon Lodging
Troon Lodging to Western Gailes Round Trip
6/30 Troon Lodging to Turnberry Round Trip
7/1 Troon Lodging to GLA Airport

Back