• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Srixon has a buy one get one free for fathers day going through this weekend on their Z-star balls. Going to give those a try.

Any of the high-level competitive players here have any advice for managing your mind, your nerves, and your game in a tournament? I used to be able to play up to my ability in competition, years ago, but having been away from it for a long time I find my game falling apart under the slightest pressure. I'm talking club tournaments - nothing big.
My only thought is to try and play in more tournaments so I get used to it, but so far that isn't helping.
This past weekend I played OK (not good, mind you, but OK) one day but literally shot 12+ shots worse than my index on the second day. How does that even happen?

Obvious answer is booze. Other biggest thing is to slow yourself down. On everything. Most people want to get the feeling of pressure over with as quickly as possible, so they'll rush their pre-shot routine. Gotta learn how to enjoy, or at least tolerate, the feeling of pressure on the course (not easy to do).

I'd be willing to bet your swing/stroke gets too quick under pressure. I definitely catch myself getting way too quick with tempo on occasion, especially from the top on pressure tee shots, and can get quick/jabby with my putts as well.

I'd also guess you're gripping the club too tightly, and could benefit from loosening your grip. Many people do that, especially under pressure, and it doesn't allow you to release the hands properly on any shot/putt. Loosening my grip has been a huge help for my chips/pitches.

More tournament rounds under pressure will never hurt. Even if it's just some local podunk amateur stuff, anytime the pencil is in your hand and every putt has to be holed it makes a difference vs the normal weekend game most of us play in.

To get ready for tournaments I sometimes play my own worst ball scramble for practice. Hit 2 drives, play the worst one. Play the worst of the 2 approaches, worst of the 2 putts/chips, etc. It forces me to manage my misses more.

This has probably been brought up before, but is anybody playing Vice balls ? I lost a brand new $4 ProV1X on the first tee a couple of weeks ago and I'm still pissed about it. The Vice deal of 5 dozen for $125 is half what Titleist balls cost.

I love the AVX balls which is basically all I play. Titleist does a deal every spring for buy 3 dozen get 1 free with free personalization. That helps bring down the cost. That being said, I have friend that only plays Vice.

Obvious answer is booze. Other biggest thing is to slow yourself down. On everything. Most people want to get the feeling of pressure over with as quickly as possible, so they'll rush their pre-shot routine. Gotta learn how to enjoy, or at least tolerate, the feeling of pressure on the course (not easy to do).

I'd be willing to bet your swing/stroke gets too quick under pressure. I definitely catch myself getting way too quick with tempo on occasion, especially from the top on pressure tee shots, and can get quick/jabby with my putts as well.

I'd also guess you're gripping the club too tightly, and could benefit from loosening your grip. Many people do that, especially under pressure, and it doesn't allow you to release the hands properly on any shot/putt. Loosening my grip has been a huge help for my chips/pitches.

I definitely catch myself speeding up - both in pre-shot and mid-swing. One of my bad misses under pressure is what I call the panic swing from the top where I come over the top with the driver in this terrible spasm and hit a hooded hook... Ugh! The other miss is hitting my short irons fat - again, panicking at the top and dropping my head at impact...

This weekend it was mainly short game and putting - which is new for me - that is typically my strength. Could be grip strength - I'll give that some thought next time...

I felt it getting worse during the round - you hit one or two shots that you NEVER hit and you're thinking "what the hell is going on? I'm choking!" and then it snowballs... Good grief! I tell myself no one gives a shit about the senior club championship at your blankety-blank club, why are you tight? I'm too old for this crap!

I definitely catch myself speeding up - both in pre-shot and mid-swing. One of my bad misses under pressure is what I call the panic swing from the top where I come over the top with the driver in this terrible spasm and hit a hooded hook... Ugh! The other miss is hitting my short irons fat - again, panicking at the top and dropping my head at impact...

This weekend it was mainly short game and putting - which is new for me - that is typically my strength. Could be grip strength - I'll give that some thought next time...

I felt it getting worse during the round - you hit one or two shots that you NEVER hit and you're thinking "what the hell is going on? I'm choking!" and then it snowballs... Good grief! I tell myself no one gives a shit about the senior club championship at your blankety-blank club, why are you tight? I'm too old for this crap!

A guy in my friends' group for the Senior Club Championship 8-putted #9 at Maple Chase on Saturday. :golfclap:

GIR. 10.

I definitely get it. Used to feel like that in the small-time amateur events I played in. Still creeps in occasionally.

And the hooded hook off the tee or on really long (230+) 2nd shots is my dreaded miss as well. I'd almost rather pump one OB right than have that awful feeling. Was watching the Hogan documentary on Golf Channel last week (highly recommend), and had no idea he created his picture-perfect swing around the goal to make it impossible to hit a pull-hook, which had been his big miss. Trying to focus on his tip to feel like you're hitting the ball with the back of the left hand. Too often I get scoopy/flat on the downswing with too much right arm/wrist/hand.

That's a good tip, but Hogan was a long time ago and that doesn't account for changes in equipment.

The other thing about competetive golf is it seems shit happens that never does during a casual round. Like you end up in a divot twice in a round, when you haven't been in one in 6 months. Or your ball catches the last 3 inches of a bunker and plugs in the face, when that extra 4 inches would have put you in great shape. I had a driver shaft snap on impact of a drive during the club championship (ball went in the fairway - but that was the end of the driver). And had a slight push miss a green by a couple of paces but catch the top of a hill and then bound back into some bushes that I never came within 20 yards of in 12 years as a member (lost ball - headed back to replay the shot - salvaged double). I guess you just have to be tough enough mentally to overcome that sort of stuff; however, I'd prefer it just not happen.

Looking to purchase a golf net for the backyard. Has anyone had success with a particular one?

Considering trying to build/buy a nice looking turf putting & chipping area for the backyard at the new house. It's a large yard, and thinking could put it one of the back corners. Anyone had any experience with this? I'm not sure I'm handy/knowledgeable enough to do this myself, and assume getting one professionally done would be $$$.

Considering trying to build/buy a nice looking turf putting & chipping area for the backyard at the new house. It's a large yard, and thinking could put it one of the back corners. Anyone had any experience with this? I'm not sure I'm handy/knowledgeable enough to do this myself, and assume getting one professionally done would be $$$.

It's a HUGE FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS to maintain. I come from a family of developers, and we tried to do this on a piece of property once. Putting surfaces take an ungodly amount of time and effort (and money) to maintain. You're better off just making a chipping area and calling it good.

Yeah, unless you have a ton of money for the project and have lots of time to roll your green, just install some turf.

Perhaps I should have specified TURF in all caps in my post? Or maybe GTB is saying turf is also really tough/expensive to maintain?

I'm wondering how expensive it would be to do something like the picture below. From some quick googling, it looks pretty damn costly.

backyard-putting-green-2.jpg

Back