• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Really? I was pretty underwhelmed by Spyglass after the first few holes on the water. It was a great course, but compared to Pebble? I am not seeing it. It is more "solid" while Pebble is more consistently spectacular... It was a tough course, though... I was playing with some high handicappers so we couldn't play back but it was still challenging.

I just think it's a better course. Pebble has great views but has some very benign holes.

appreciate it

i do my best to play fast and be a net fun person to have around

i stink (~20 handicap) but got an invite through work to play Spyglass in a few weeks (sort of humble brag)

but i'm starting to get stressed about it

any solicited advice from the good golfers on here?
I'm not a good golfer but I have played Spyglass several times. It might be the toughest course I've played, but there's no reason to be stressed. You'd be amazed how many awful golfers are on those courses; a 20 handicap might be better than the median golfer. Are you playing anywhere else while you're there?

And it is a great course, but it doesn't compare to Pebble. The first six holes of Spyglass are amazing, but I'm always a bit let down by the rest of the course by comparison.

Playing Old Town for the first time in a couple of weeks. Anybody have any tips or info? What's the membership like? Feel free to PM me.

Established in 1939, Old Town Club provides an atmosphere of elegance and hospitality for its members and their guests. The facilities feature a comfortable clubhouse, tennis courts, fitness center and swimming pools, but the main attraction for many of its members is the 18 hole golf course. Designed by famed architect Perry Maxwell, this course provides a superbly challenging golf experience for novice and experienced golfer alike.

Old Town Club provides a beautiful location for all types of private events. From a small corporate meeting to a large outdoor wedding, Old Town offers the space, staff and cuisine that you need to host the ideal event.

In addition to their classic golf course, they have tennis courts, platform tennis courts, swimming pools and a new fitness center. Within the fitness center you'll find a variety of classes which can accommodate any level of fitness ability, along with equipment you can use in your individual workout. They also have a staff of personal trainers who can develop a specialized workout plan just for you. All around the club you'll find events year round that entertain adults and children alike.

Playing Old Town for the first time in a couple of weeks. Anybody have any tips or info? What's the membership like? Feel free to PM me.

I really enjoy it.

I love the golf course & as somebody that played golf and went to basketball games at the Joel for 30+ years without really knowing about it... it's still wild to me where the course is located.

I've had almost entirely positive interactions with their membership. It is a bit stuffy, but I've found a lot of their regulars to be really pleasant.

... the first time I played out there, I did get ribbed pretty hard for paying cash in the golf shop. They let me, but it took a while for them to find a cashbox for change & then they (frat bros around the shop) asked me if 'I was a rapper or something'.

I wasn't aware how steep the guest-fees were, either... So, if a member is picking up your costs... You may want to be aware that it's a ~$200 outlay.

Yeah, I'm excited to see the double green and double tee box. Those are interesting features. Been billed as the last Golden Age course which is pretty cool. I'm gonna go a little wild in the pro shop. Love their logo.

I wasn't aware how steep the guest-fees were, either... So, if a member is picking up your costs... You may want to be aware that it's a ~$200 outlay.

Holy crap, it's gone up the last few years. It was around 125 pre covid.

@deacondamo - Not sure if you're an architecture junkie, but Old Town is one of the few Perry Maxwell courses in the southeast. It's got some of the most interesting green complexes you'll see anywhere. Tons of movement.

Seems to be the going rate, ($200) when you're not playing with a Member who calls you in.
Just played Palmetto GC last weekend here in Aiken, truly an old school gem, and that's what we each paid.
Well worth it but not doing that every week.

Holy crap, it's gone up the last few years. It was around 125 pre covid.

@deacondamo - Not sure if you're an architecture junkie, but Old Town is one of the few Perry Maxwell courses in the southeast. It's got some of the most interesting green complexes you'll see anywhere. Tons of movement.

Yeah, that’s my jam. I’m really excited. Never played Prairie Dunes or Southern Hills.

I’ve played tons of Tillinghast and Ross courses. One Raynor.

Yeah, that’s my jam. I’m really excited. Never played Prairie Dunes or Southern Hills.

I’ve played tons of Tillinghast and Ross courses. One Raynor.
I grew up on and learned to play golf at Prairie Dunes. Still to this day the best course I’ve ever played, would really like to go back now that I’m an adult and see how it plays differently.

Headed up for a Vegas golf trip next week, playing TPC Summerlin just a few days after the Shriners finishes which should be fun. Kinda funny, my country club buddies tried to have their pros call and get a time, couldn't get one. We also had a golf concierge service try and they also couldn't manage it. I don't have any connections to leverage but I do have a plain old Mastercard, so I called their Priceless golf number and they got us booked. Ha.

Guys, I'm on my 2nd week of back spasms. I could barely get up or walk the first day or the last 3, but am starting to get more mobile. The doctor is pretty sure it's just muscular, not a slipped disc or anything. How long should I expect to be sidelined from golf, and do you have any particular stretches that helped you?

Supine twist. Pigeon pose. I have two herniated discs in my back (and shitty SI joints) and do them every day. Low lunges are good too.

For core strength, I do heel taps/leg extensions and bridges (regular and 1 legged) most days. Side planks too.

The old joke about Tiger not being able to "activate his glutes" is such a real thing. When I can't engage my glutes/core during a swing due to back pain/tightness, I swing with all arms and my game goes to shit.

Anyone been fit for irons recently/know how irons are supposed to work? Had a free fitting at Club Champion and the dude had to refit me a week later after I asked him why he had my 6 iron launching at a 125+ foot apex.... 30 feet higher than PGA tour average

Have been playing 8 year old Taylormade PSI and the constant 10 yard variance in distance on center hits is no bueno and the gapping in the short irons has become a problem.

5 index and can play a blade but don't want them in longer irons because I don't have time to practice and I'm not that much of a hardo.

No clue what spin rates and launches I'm looking for in a 6 iron and since apparently he didn't either....

Thinking between Srixon ZX7 bent 2 degrees weak and the Mizuno 221 blended with a 225 for the 4-6 irons.

Not sure the ZX7s launch high enough/spin enough for how they launch.

1666014639064.png

I'd go with the higher launch angle and spin rate for a 6, which looks like the Mizunos for you. I say that because you are a 5 but aren't getting blades, so you're going to need to stick shots a little bit more without as much ability to shape it into the green. I adore my Mizunos but have also heard excellent things about the ZX7.

Also, I recommend with Club Champion to really take advantage of their 1-year free tweaking. My swing changed slightly after I got my clubs and also I just think some refinement was needed. It really helped my 4-iron in particular.

Also, I recommend with Club Champion to really take advantage of their 1-year free tweaking. My swing changed slightly after I got my clubs and also I just think some refinement was needed. It really helped my 4-iron in particular.
It was tough to stomach them being 1k more expensive than factory direct on the same exact specs for their first quote.... Told them they can order from the OEM/match their pricing or they aren't getting shit.

Back