• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Anyone been fit for irons recently/know how irons are supposed to work? Had a free fitting at Club Champion and the dude had to refit me a week later after I asked him why he had my 6 iron launching at a 125+ foot apex.... 30 feet higher than PGA tour average

Have been playing 8 year old Taylormade PSI and the constant 10 yard variance in distance on center hits is no bueno and the gapping in the short irons has become a problem.

5 index and can play a blade but don't want them in longer irons because I don't have time to practice and I'm not that much of a hardo.

No clue what spin rates and launches I'm looking for in a 6 iron and since apparently he didn't either....

Thinking between Srixon ZX7 bent 2 degrees weak and the Mizuno 221 blended with a 225 for the 4-6 irons.

Not sure the ZX7s launch high enough/spin enough for how they launch.

View attachment 1533
I play the ZX5s and love them. Haven't had any issues with the launch angle and spin on them. They launch higher and spin better than the Callaways I had before, but I've also made some big swing changes in the past 18 months I've had them.

Only regret is not getting a mixed set with 4-6 ZX5 and 7-PW ZX7. The ZX5s are still pretty workable, but I would have liked the extra control on my shorter irons.

Playing Old Town for the first time in a couple of weeks. Anybody have any tips or info? What's the membership like? Feel free to PM me.
As expected, Old Town was fun as shit. Super interesting course (could see Wait Chapel on a couple of holes which was cool). I understand all the hype. Pros and members were very welcoming also. Bumped into Emilia which was neat. Great day all around.

That's awesome man! Any particular holes stand out for you (beyond the obvious 8/17 double green)?
We played 27, so I got to see the front twice. I loved all of the holes. Knowing I had to be left on 1 helped the second time around! I liked them all. It's a great members' course because knowing where to be (and not be) would have a huge effect on your score there. It was very firm, so the ball was bouncing like crazy. My friend eagled 4 the second time through which was cool.

We played 27, so I got to see the front twice. I loved all of the holes. Knowing I had to be left on 1 helped the second time around! I liked them all. It's a great members' course because knowing where to be (and not be) would have a huge effect on your score there. It was very firm, so the ball was bouncing like crazy. My friend eagled 4 the second time through which was cool.
I love the front side (probably because I found the back far more challenging). The only time I shot even out there I went out in 33 and held on through the back. Also have my only ever ace on 2.

When we played junior interclubs there, the assistant pros started announcing to everybody that there's a creek at the bottom of the fairway on 1 after an "unfortunate" scenario where one of the OTC kids said "fire away" when a Bermuda Run kid asked what, if anything, was going on at the bottom of the fairway since he'd never played there before.

I love the front side (probably because I found the back far more challenging). The only time I shot even out there I went out in 33 and held on through the back. Also have my only ever ace on 2.

When we played junior interclubs there, the assistant pros started announcing to everybody that there's a creek at the bottom of the fairway on 1 after an "unfortunate" scenario where one of the OTC kids said "fire away" when a Bermuda Run kid asked what, if anything, was going on at the bottom of the fairway since he'd never played there before.
Can you use yardage books in juniors? Feels like you should have some idea about the layout if you're playing competitively.

Playing Harbor Town for the first time in a long time soon. My memory is the back-9 is brutal especially with wind, though I am a better player now than last time I was there.

Also excited for Atlantic Dunes which I have heard good things about.

Playing Harbor Town for the first time in a long time soon. My memory is the back-9 is brutal especially with wind, though I am a better player now than last time I was there.

Also excited for Atlantic Dunes which I have heard good things about.

How'd you get a time? I was there two weeks ago. Had called about two months in advance. Nothing available. Saved my wallet from a big day lol

Can you use yardage books in juniors? Feels like you should have some idea about the layout if you're playing competitively.
Old Town didn't (doesn't?) have yardage books. I feel like the guy should've come and played the course prior but c'est la vie.

Getting fitted for some irons in 2 weeks. Down to the Calloway rogues vs apex. Salesman was pushing the rogues when I came in thinking apex. Thoughts ?

Apex line is for good players, Rogue line is for shitty players. So your fitter is dishing you some honesty veiled in an equipment recommendation...

Getting fitted for some irons in 2 weeks. Down to the Calloway rogues vs apex. Salesman was pushing the rogues when I came in thinking apex. Thoughts ?
What do you like more about the Apex line? And was the salesman pushing the Rogues based on your numbers or is this just based on a convo with the salesman? Rogues are an easy answer for anyone without a fucked up swing looking to buy good irons, so it could just be you getting a lazy answer.

High level I'd lean towards the Apex line if shaping iron shots is something you can do consistently and it's part of your game. If you're just looking for predictable ball flight and distance get the Rogues. You'll be a lot happier. This is assuming there's nothing alarming in the numbers for one vs. other.

I'm highly skeptical of most club fitters. A lot of them have no clue what they're doing. Big difference between the fitting experiences at a Golf Galaxy vs. somewhere like True Spec or with your club pro, so depending on where you're doing the fitting I'd keep that in mind.

Any thoughts on GolfTec? Considering a package of lessons that includes a club fitting.

How'd you get a time? I was there two weeks ago. Had called about two months in advance. Nothing available. Saved my wallet from a big day lol
Not sure, I didn't book it. We had a two-some and paired with another 2. I played poorly, the back-9 of the course is a lot of fun. It's a nice course, but its pricey for what it is and the practice facilities are basically non-existent.

Sort of down on golf right now, I am not sure whether to just be the casual guy who can shoot within a 15-stroke band and enjoy the walk or dedicate more practice time and try to get back to a more consistent number. Had some tough rounds this season.

Not sure, I didn't book it. We had a two-some and paired with another 2. I played poorly, the back-9 of the course is a lot of fun. It's a nice course, but its pricey for what it is and the practice facilities are basically non-existent.

Sort of down on golf right now, I am not sure whether to just be the casual guy who can shoot within a 15-stroke band and enjoy the walk or dedicate more practice time and try to get back to a more consistent number. Had some tough rounds this season.
Depends on your life stage. At my best I have played to a 4 handicap. But these days I'm closer to a ten. It's frustrating to know I am appreciably worse than I used to be. But, I have two young daughters and finding the time to make appreciable gains in my golf game seems unlikely. I am, currently, accepting the low/mid 80's golf as my norm. I try and focus on the joy of being outside with friends and enjoying the weather. Maybe at some point I'll get back to the old me.

Apex line is for good players, Rogue line is for shitty players. So your fitter is dishing you some honesty veiled in an equipment recommendation...
I had some Hogan Apex irons when I was about 12. I can still feel it in my gut how I used to be so excited waiting on the delivery truck at the pro shop every single day hoping they were on the truck. Loved them and all Hogan irons back then. We are talking late 70s.

Depends on your life stage. At my best I have played to a 4 handicap. But these days I'm closer to a ten. It's frustrating to know I am appreciably worse than I used to be. But, I have two young daughters and finding the time to make appreciable gains in my golf game seems unlikely. I am, currently, accepting the low/mid 80's golf as my norm. I try and focus on the joy of being outside with friends and enjoying the weather. Maybe at some point I'll get back to the old me.
You just described me, only the numbers are different.

Back