• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Apparently, Mizuno got hacked and my clubs still haven’t shipped.

Apparently, Mizuno got hacked and my clubs still haven’t shipped
I heard about 90 seconds of the evening knucklehead on the local sports station before flipping over to Sirius tonight - and he was babbling about how his new Mizuno irons are taking forever to come in.

$300 for a Paradym is tempting, I have a 20yr old Cleveland Launcher plus some irons I can get rid of.

I only play 5 times a year, not enough to justify the driver upgrade IMO, plus I am relatively happy with my driving.

My putting sucks. I am pretty good about using the practice putting green and watching balls of people I am playing with to judge the speed and line especially with lag putts but I am only making about 20% of putts between 5-20ft. 3 putt bogeys suck.

Any tips to improve short putts?

Putting drills are the absolute hardest thing to force yourself to do, but I guess they probably help.

I assume you've already had a putter fitting. We determined that my putter was too light in the head which forced me to have to generate more power and led to my pulling the putter off line. So I got a new $450 Scotty Cameron putter that weighed a little more.

Make sure your eyes/head aren't following the putter. I bet they are, and that's one of the biggest reasons people move their heads/miss putts. I've battled this since I was a kid. Picking a spot a couple inches in front of the ball (or even at the hole if you want to go full Spieth-extreme) vs. staring at the ball itself can be helpful.

Oh and if the putter just feels like a football bat, there's nothing wrong with switching to cross-handed or the claw for a bit to at least "trick" your brain. I've even done it mid-round a couple times.

$300 for a Paradym is tempting, I have a 20yr old Cleveland Launcher plus some irons I can get rid of.

I only play 5 times a year, not enough to justify the driver upgrade IMO, plus I am relatively happy with my driving.

My putting sucks. I am pretty good about using the practice putting green and watching balls of people I am playing with to judge the speed and line especially with lag putts but I am only making about 20% of putts between 5-20ft. 3 putt bogeys suck.

Any tips to improve short putts?
pixar.jpg

Make sure your eyes/head aren't following the putter. I bet they are, and that's one of the biggest reasons people move their heads/miss putts. I've battled this since I was a kid. Picking a spot a couple inches in front of the ball (or even at the hole if you want to go full Spieth-extreme) vs. staring at the ball itself can be helpful.

Oh and if the putter just feels like a football bat, there's nothing wrong with switching to cross-handed or the claw for a bit to at least "trick" your brain. I've even done it mid-round a couple times.

I practice putting crosshanded. Helps me keep the putter low to the ground.

Yeah I’ve been having some trouble with the heel off the ground when putting conventionally.

My last 4 rounds have also ranged from 68 to 80. Absurdly inconsistent.

Does anyone use AimPoint putting? Seems like something that could help with minimal practice. You just find puts that are one finger, two fingers, and three fingers and then get used to how each of those feel on your feet.

It feels like you could go out and do an hour or two of practice once or twice, and then realign yourself before each round. But it also feels like I should be a better golfer so who the fuck knows.

I haven’t found the Aim Point finger thing to work at all for me, but I definitely like figuring out the break with your feet - that’s really the part in my opinion that takes practice. It’s most valuable on subtle breaks and is way easier than trying to lie down on the green…

Seems like a lot of pros who use it ditch the finger thing eventually as well.

Anyone have a preferred public 18 right now in or around Winston. Playing two Fridays from tmw in case some semis are good with Friday out-of-towners.

Not Winston but Bryan Park 40 minutes away is a top flight public facility.

Anyone else playing in the NC Senior at 12 Oaks right now? I wonder what people think of that track...

Not playing (not age eligible for another 10+ years), but have played that course many times in the last decade. I used to really hate it, but now have channeled my disdain to only a few spots on the course (4th green, entire 7th hole) and have learned how to play most of the rest of the course fairly well. It can still jump up and bite you though. If they have the greens running fast, it is an unbelievably hard stroke-play tournament course.

Not playing (not age eligible for another 10+ years), but have played that course many times in the last decade. I used to really hate it, but now have channeled my disdain to only a few spots on the course (4th green, entire 7th hole) and have learned how to play most of the rest of the course fairly well. It can still jump up and bite you though. If they have the greens running fast, it is an unbelievably hard stroke-play tournament course.
Yea - that is not an easy course... Trouble everywhere and the greens are massive and multi-tier... The fairways are so firm lots of balls you think are fine run off into trouble. I think I would need to play it another dozen times to know where to hit it on a few holes. And they just need to dynamite #7 and start over... But really good condition and a visually appealing course. I would like to play it some more when I wasn't so jacked up for a tournament...

Anyone else playing in the NC Senior at 12 Oaks right now? I wonder what people think of that track...

I played in the state four ball there a few years ago. Harder than a wedding night dick when the wind blows.

Is the 7th hole that stupid ass par 5?

Back