• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

A little clarity here:
the Midway H.S. kid shot a 76, and that's the score his partner showed on the card and they both signed off on and turned in for individual/team scoring. It was only later after all scores were posted and the tournament standings concluded that the Midway player noted in going over his card that his partner had credited him with a 4 on a hole instead of a 5, which would have meant that his 18 hole card added up to a 75, again even though the correct total score of 76 was signed for and turned in. The Midway kid then decides to tell the tournament officials of the error on the one hole so it can be changed to a 5 to reflect the correctly-posted total score of 76. Had he not gone back over his card and self-reported the thing almost assuredly it would never have come to light.
Since the correct score of 76 had already been posted I could see a case for allowing that score to stand, but I 100% understand the rules of golf and why that presumably is not allowed at any level of golf or in any competitive situation. But again just to clarify: the kid was not trying either intentionally or unintentionally to post a lower score, and in aggregate he did not. I'm sure in his mind, and with his low handicap level of play, he mentally keeps score in in relation to par and not total strokes, i.e. "I was 4 over for the round = 76". Understandable mistake that he'll surely not make again.
As for the senator, I don't think he understands the rules of golf and/or the self-reporting integrity built in to it. Better to praise the kid for doing the right thing, than to question the "fairness" of it.

Tough break for the kid. Important life lesson learned. Our coach taught us to keep our individual hole scores at the bottom of our card, stack them together, then check it once hole by hole going up the card, then again hole by hole going down the card. The total score does not matter. Only hole by hole. Has to be a no-nonsense policy on this rule or people will cheat then play dumb acting like they didn't know.

A little clarity here:
the Midway H.S. kid shot a 76, and that's the score his partner showed on the card and they both signed off on and turned in for individual/team scoring. It was only later after all scores were posted and the tournament standings concluded that the Midway player noted in going over his card that his partner had credited him with a 4 on a hole instead of a 5, which would have meant that his 18 hole card added up to a 75, again even though the correct total score of 76 was signed for and turned in. The Midway kid then decides to tell the tournament officials of the error on the one hole so it can be changed to a 5 to reflect the correctly-posted total score of 76. Had he not gone back over his card and self-reported the thing almost assuredly it would never have come to light.
Since the correct score of 76 had already been posted I could see a case for allowing that score to stand, but I 100% understand the rules of golf and why that presumably is not allowed at any level of golf or in any competitive situation. But again just to clarify: the kid was not trying either intentionally or unintentionally to post a lower score, and in aggregate he did not. I'm sure in his mind, and with his low handicap level of play, he mentally keeps score in in relation to par and not total strokes, i.e. "I was 4 over for the round = 76". Understandable mistake that he'll surely not make again.
As for the senator, I don't think he understands the rules of golf and/or the self-reporting integrity built in to it. Better to praise the kid for doing the right thing, than to question the "fairness" of it.

Not that it really matters but this explanation doesn't quite hold up - this isn't how golf tournaments are scored. Players aren't responsible for totaling up their scores - all scores are entered as individual holes. You can write down 140 or 57 as your total, it doesn't get considered. Getting the math wrong explains why a player might not check hole-by-hole scoring, but if you've played even a couple high school tournaments it's like the first thing you do - tear off your score, compare each hole, sign your card.

It's wayyyy more common to see a score get posted one stroke lower than you expected - and it's at that point other players in your group might notice "hey, I shot 75 and beat you by 1, why is your 76 a 75 on the board?" Or if you're a good upstanding honest citizen you go talk to the scorers when it looks off.

This reads like a tweaked story to make it seem less like a traditional scoring mistake, which while shitty is just how golf is. If players were responsible for adding up 18 holes and never screwing up the math you'd see 30% of fields get DQ'd every week.

Tough break for the kid. Important life lesson learned. Our coach taught us to keep our individual hole scores at the bottom of our card, stack them together, then check it once hole by hole going up the card, then again hole by hole going down the card. The total score does not matter. Only hole by hole. Has to be a no-nonsense policy on this rule or people will cheat then play dumb acting like they didn't know.
Yep - I never even add up the score on cards I am keeping in a tourney - only hole by hole matters.

Cheating, both purposeful and through ignorance, is a problem in HS and junior golf. The kid did a great thing, reporting the error. Typical clueless politician!

A million years ago my HS teammates and I were watching a player from another team finish the last hole in a regional. We counted 5 shots he hit within 20 yards of a par 5 - and later saw that he posted a 5 on the hole. We brought it to the attention of our coach and he questioned it but the kid and his playing partners confirmed the score so there was nothing he could do...

Not that it really matters but this explanation doesn't quite hold up - this isn't how golf tournaments are scored. Players aren't responsible for totaling up their scores - all scores are entered as individual holes. You can write down 140 or 57 as your total, it doesn't get considered. Getting the math wrong explains why a player might not check hole-by-hole scoring, but if you've played even a couple high school tournaments it's like the first thing you do - tear off your score, compare each hole, sign your card.

It's wayyyy more common to see a score get posted one stroke lower than you expected - and it's at that point other players in your group might notice "hey, I shot 75 and beat you by 1, why is your 76 a 75 on the board?" Or if you're a good upstanding honest citizen you go talk to the scorers when it looks off.

This reads like a tweaked story to make it seem less like a traditional scoring mistake, which while shitty is just how golf is. If players were responsible for adding up 18 holes and never screwing up the math you'd see 30% of fields get DQ'd every week.
Yep, two mistakes made here: first one was the players' signing off on a 4 that was actually a 5, and the 2nd was the officials adding the 18 holes across and either coming up with an incorrect total of 76 instead of 75, but more likely is they didn't add it at all and just went with what the players' signed off on.

Man, he totaled it up wrong then an official totaled it up the exact same wrong way... Quite the coincidence. Even if they used no electronic scoring at all (most use golf genius which does the math) there is no way in hell any scorer received the 2nd/3rd place scorecard and just went "okey dokey I'm just blindly trusting that total written down" and went on to the next.

Also, all the articles say Atkins noticed "after signing" that one hole was scored wrong. Well, if the official scorecard was turned in already how would he know? If it just listed 76 it's completely impossible for him to identify that the total was right but an individual hole was wrong.

Nah, they recorded the holes, it popped up 75 tied for 2nd, Atkins was like uh oh and went back to review the holes which revealed the error. Sure, his playing partner screwed up by not being able to add, but it's his responsibility ultimately to get his score right - which is something everyone who plays tournament golf knows.

The rest of this is just some shitty politician who has no idea what he's talking about golf-wise trying to score political points...

A buddy from my club played with Rahm yesterday in Arizona. Shot 81 and lost by 22.

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

I’m not entirely sure but I feel like I was very close to a hole in one on two. Ended up about 5 feet past the hole and I think I saw it hit the pin/cup/change direction but it was subtle (and also hard to tell from 180 away)

Has anybody played the Old Edwards Inn course in Highlands/Cashiers ? It was formerly known as Highlands Cove and is about 15 minutes from the inn. I'm heading out there in October for a couple of nights and my wife will probably complain if I want to play, but if it's worthwhile, I'll take the heat.

have the next two weekends booked up for golf trips, which i'm super thankful for with a 9-month old at home

Next weekend Friday round at Brainerd (Ross) in Chattanooga. Saturday with a group of 40 (i know maybe 10 of the group) have passes at Sweetens. Very excited to check it out.

Following weekend staying at Chechessee Creek (Coore-Crenshaw) outside Beaufort, SC. Still deciding on that other courses we'll hit up down there.

Went for new irons fitting yesterday and wound up with the Titleist T-200s but I wrenched my thumb on about my 75th swing and I'm injured. Hopefully I'll be recovered by the time the clubs arrive.

Back