• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

And I guess between my wife and I we can easily log 20+ rounds/month in peak season so we're definitely saving money on greens fees compared to playing similar quality courses.

Good price. Oak Hollow is my least favorite golf course on Earth, so that's $23 too expensive for me.
I agree with you but I always end up with gift cards for Oak Hollow. I end up playing there 4-6 times a year.

I have a friend that works at Meadowlands. He kept telling me they promised him certain positions and raises but nothing ever happened. I need to text him and see if he is still there.

Only made it for 9 today. :ROFLMAO:

I'm going small text, because I absolutely know this is a Karen rant that I'll catch grief on.

A regular playing partner from M. C. & I were both there an hour early.

.... and, I totally get why courses don't want people paying for 'hot deal' times, and just showing up whenever.... no problem, there...

... but, when the range was closed and nobody had teed off between 9 & 9:30... and, the twosome they 'paired us' with decided to get breakfast & wanted to sit down for the meal. my guy & i started getting a little impatient.

.... and, theeeeeen they started asking if they could wait until 'lunch' was served @ 10:30 (to get a cheeseburger to-go).

The staff was cool enough about it, despite the starter disappering....they eventually gave us permission to go ahead on our own. We hit the 8:30-8:50 groups (all twosomes, with one golf bag/one cooler) on #2 tee-box.

I know you guys warned me, but... I cannot overstate how bad the golf & etiquette we witnessed around us was.

The equipment (that only some people actually had)/attire/ etc. wouldn't be scoffed at anywhere... but, holy shit... I guess I get the 'club' thing now.

p.s. I've been there plenty of times & the piece of property (especially the front 9) is great. Plus, you're nearly guaranteed to witness something crazy on the lake.

Last edited:
It's definitely a better value than almost everywhere else in the country. I want to throw up when I read stuff about dog track courses in some metros being minimum $100 rounds.

The stability and community at our CC is great, but the biggest things we justify the cost with are not having to fight for tee times (you need to be quick for prime weekend times, but that's fine), practice facilities, and being able to walk a 4-hour round even on weekends. In the triangle right now you're looking at 6-hour weekend rounds on almost every public worth playing.

Six hour round? What does that even look like? That's beyond horrendous. Either really bad golf or super stacked tee times.
Our club is affordable and not super congested. Great pool. Solid clubhouse. Family friendly. Not stuffy but not white trash everywhere either

Six hour round? What does that even look like? That's beyond horrendous. Either really bad golf or super stacked tee times.
Our club is affordable and not super congested. Great pool. Solid clubhouse. Family friendly. Not stuffy but not white trash everywhere either

Pretty much every public course that’s affordable in LA is a 6 hour round which is why I pretty much stopped playing for 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much every public course that’s affordable in LA is a 6 hour round which is why I pretty much stopped playing for 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd 100% not play if it took that long. If it gets closer to four hours I am pissed

Last edited:
I have a friend that works at Meadowlands. He kept telling me they promised him certain positions and raises but nothing ever happened. I need to text him and see if he is still there.

Hogan? He’s not there anymore if so.

Public golf in NC will always be one of the best values around.

There is something to be said about the stability of a CC, but the cost of private golf definitely gives one pause. And I know MC saw dues go up considerably over the last few years and now is shutting down for a year for renovations.
What course are ya'll referring to as "MC"?

I've pretty much stopped playing on weekends other than Interclub matches and tournaments. It was taking way too long. Plus kid sports dominated most of the weekends anyway.

What course are ya'll referring to as "MC"?

I've pretty much stopped playing on weekends other than Interclub matches and tournaments. It was taking way too long. Plus kid sports dominated most of the weekends anyway.

Maple Chase in Winston
Used to be Pinebrook if you're old school

Oh yeah, duh. I thought they shut down for some renovations less than a decade ago when they rebranded to Maple Chase, am I my misremembering?

Oh yeah, duh. I thought they shut down for some renovations less than a decade ago when they rebranded to Maple Chase, am I my misremembering?

I've never been a member there. But I want to think they became MC maybe closer to 15 years ago. Doing a big renovation again currently. Others can weigh in with more details.

I've never been a member there. But I want to think they became MC maybe closer to 15 years ago. Doing a big renovation again currently. Others can weigh in with more details.

Not sure exactly when it changed from Pinebrook to Maple Chase, but it’s been less than 10 years.
At that time they did minor renovations - new putting green, range, rerouted #1 and added/moved a handful of bunkers.
This renovation will be to redo all 18 greens with 007 Bentgrass, reshape and recontour most of the greens, move #4 green on the other side of the creek, fix drainage, etc.

I dropped my membership at M.C. in January.

I'm sure public prices will hurt me this summer, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the affordability of some courses around here these days.

I was able to book a time today (Saturday, late morning) at Oak Hollow for $23 including cart.
Drop because of the renovations this year? Think it will be really nice after it seems. And probably a lot more expensive to join.

I like Meadowlands, but I played there one Saturday last summer and it took over 6 hours. Can't go back after that, not on a weekend at least.

Drop because of the renovations this year? Think it will be really nice after it seems. And probably a lot more expensive to join.

Meh. I'm mid-30s and have been under-employed for too long.

.... I was playing too much golf & the timing of the closure was certainly a factor.

Plus, I still got invited to play with my groups out there in January/February. Not really a huge change.

Not sure exactly when it changed from Pinebrook to Maple Chase, but it’s been less than 10 years.
At that time they did minor renovations - new putting green, range, rerouted #1 and added/moved a handful of bunkers.
This renovation will be to redo all 18 greens with 007 Bentgrass, reshape and recontour most of the greens, move #4 green on the other side of the creek, fix drainage, etc.

Last email I have from Pinebrook is from 2014, so 10 years sounds right.

Headed to Pawley’s Island this week and playing Pawley’s plantation, Caledonia, True Blue and Heritage Club. I’ve played them all before except Pawley’s Plantation.

Back