• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I’m going to look at replacing my Callaway Rogue driver and 3 wood for Xmas. Definitely going to hit the Paradym.

i played the Wynn last week for a work event

the sphere in the background is wild!

Have to be in Raleigh this weekend for a wedding. Anyone have any recs? Would like to play Saturday morning somewhere.

The USGA is changing handicaps for 2024. I had not followed this closely, but looks like the following are new:
  • 9 holes will no longer be combined
  • "Expected differential" will be used when play 10-17 holes
  • Shorter courses will be eligible to receive ratings & slope

Got some great weather two weekend ago and go to hit up Southern Pines, Pine Needles, and Mid Pines (incredible value with the offseason rates). Had not previously played SP. Man that place is really nice. But the green complexes aren't for the faint of heart. I continue to dislike Pine Needles- but mostly because I always seem to play awful there.

Going in a few weeks to Pawley's Island for True Blue and Caledonia. Pumped to get the season started early

Got some great weather two weekend ago and go to hit up Southern Pines, Pine Needles, and Mid Pines (incredible value with the offseason rates). Had not previously played SP. Man that place is really nice. But the green complexes aren't for the faint of heart. I continue to dislike Pine Needles- but mostly because I always seem to play awful there.

Going in a few weeks to Pawley's Island for True Blue and Caledonia. Pumped to get the season started early
I'm sort of the opposite right now....can't play Mid Pines worth a crap for the last 4-5 times I teed it up there but played an incredible round at Pine Needles earlier this week, considering I had barely played for the past 6-8 weeks. Certain holes at Mid Pines just always seem to jump up and get me (2, 3, 11, 12, 17). Love the redesign at Southern Pines, but you are right, those green complexes can punish you if you are slightly off on your approach game.

Years ago Deacondamo hooked me up with his friend as a reference to join River Bend CC up here in NOVA and we're finally in (1 yr 3 month wait)! Can't wait to be able to actually play consistently again, and it's conveniently only 6 minutes from my house (compared to 25+ for any halfway decent public course). Maybe my now almost 7 year old will try golfing, but he's definitely going to at least do swim team. Hopefully other things too.

Played True Blue in Pawleys for the first time last week in a scramble. I had not swung a golf club since my daughter was born, but somehow played alright.

We obviously played the tees way up, but it looks like an absolute bear if played from the tips.

@BacktoBack

Haven't played Caledonia. In the same area I love Tradition and Heritage.

True Blue is the 2nd best golf course in the Myrtle area behind Caledonia in my opinion.
There are dozens of "ok" Courses in that area. Only 5-6 exceptional tracks total, mostly south in the Pawley area.
My favorite north Myrtle is Glen Dornoch and the course on Bald Head Island.

Years ago Deacondamo hooked me up with his friend as a reference to join River Bend CC up here in NOVA and we're finally in (1 yr 3 month wait)! Can't wait to be able to actually play consistently again, and it's conveniently only 6 minutes from my house (compared to 25+ for any halfway decent public course). Maybe my now almost 7 year old will try golfing, but he's definitely going to at least do swim team. Hopefully other things too.
Nice track. I had a work event there years ago, didn't get to play it but the back deck view was amazing.

Meadowlands fired their pro yesterday. Will now share a pro with Oak Valley. Every since Meadowlands got purchased 2 years ago the new owner has ran off almost all of the member base. Looks like he wants the tee sheet to be 95% public play at over $70.00 a round.

(in his defense, it was booked full last year)

Meadowlands fired their pro yesterday. Will now share a pro with Oak Valley. Every since Meadowlands got purchased 2 years ago the new owner has ran off almost all of the member base. Looks like he wants the tee sheet to be 95% public play at over $70.00 a round.

(in his defense, it was booked full last year)

I dropped my membership at M.C. in January.

I'm sure public prices will hurt me this summer, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the affordability of some courses around here these days.

I was able to book a time today (Saturday, late morning) at Oak Hollow for $23 including cart.

Public golf in NC will always be one of the best values around.

There is something to be said about the stability of a CC, but the cost of private golf definitely gives one pause. And I know MC saw dues go up considerably over the last few years and now is shutting down for a year for renovations.

I'm sure public prices will hurt me this summer, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the affordability of some courses around here these days.

I was able to book a time today (Saturday, late morning) at Oak Hollow for $23 including cart.

I suspect You know this already.

I've not played it during peak times recently but I've always enjoyed Tanglewood too. Especially the Championship course. No idea if it becomes a goat rodeo on the weekends

Good price. Oak Hollow is my least favorite golf course on Earth, so that's $23 too expensive for me.

Public golf in NC will always be one of the best values around.

There is something to be said about the stability of a CC, but the cost of private golf definitely gives one pause. And I know MC saw dues go up considerably over the last few years and now is shutting down for a year for renovations.
It's definitely a better value than almost everywhere else in the country. I want to throw up when I read stuff about dog track courses in some metros being minimum $100 rounds.

The stability and community at our CC is great, but the biggest things we justify the cost with are not having to fight for tee times (you need to be quick for prime weekend times, but that's fine), practice facilities, and being able to walk a 4-hour round even on weekends. In the triangle right now you're looking at 6-hour weekend rounds on almost every public worth playing.

Back