• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Scorecard playoffs... The worst!

Dad and I played a modified alternate shot Father-Son tournament yesterday. Shot a 71 (out in 33 and in 38 smh...) Tied for 1st. Thanks for the 3rd place finish cuz of the shit back 9....

Ah, golf. Last Saturday shot 72 to win a tournament at Westfields. This Saturday shot 96 at Stonewall, worst round in 3 years. Doesn't seem possible...

How many penalty strokes? That's an absurdly wide spread.

How many penalty strokes? That's an absurdly wide spread.

An absurd amount. Course has OB 10 yards from almost every fairway with houses everywhere. Just a day where every miss was stroke and distance. Wasn't even driver that got me in trouble - just pushing my irons trying to hit fairways with the occasional double-miss. When I'm off I need a course where 20 yards left/right means a pitch out and a bogey, not 2 tee shots OB for a quad.

Probably didn't help that I was hungover and playing off 3 hours of sleep.

Shot 74 at the Preserve at Jordan Lake this weekend. Best score in a while - I have not played much at all this year. So far this year I would say I have played the fewest rounds since I started playing golf at 6 years old. I am going to fix this problem next year!

I had 3 birdies in a row on the front nine - that was fun and it has been a while since I made 3 in a row...

Shot 74 at the Preserve at Jordan Lake this weekend. Best score in a while - I have not played much at all this year. So far this year I would say I have played the fewest rounds since I started playing golf at 6 years old. I am going to fix this problem next year!

I had 3 birdies in a row on the front nine - that was fun and it has been a while since I made 3 in a row...

I love that course. What did it cost you? Been a few years since I played it.

Played Cape Fear National in Wilmington this weekend and shot 79 after being 2 under through 6.

The course itself is ok, but boy is it spread out.

I love that course. What did it cost you? Been a few years since I played it.

I think it was $55 - The guy I played with had some kind of on-line coupon... Pretty nice layout and in decent shape - the greens were a little slow and rough in places - but then it is the middle of the summer so that is not unexpected. I might like their sister course (Chapel Ridge) a little better - but it is even farther out in the middle of nowhere...

Played Cape Fear National in Wilmington this weekend and shot 79 after being 2 under through 6.

The course itself is ok, but boy is it spread out.

I thought that course was awesome when I played there around Memorial Day (despite shooting well over 100. I lost many balls). Great condition, we saw one other group on the back 9 the entire time. Good luck walking it though, that'd be miserable.

FYI. no idea how this differs from normal pricing but figured i'd pass it along

SUMMER SPECIAL - Ride and play 18 holes at Winston Lake Golf Course. Weekdays-$20, weekends-$25, now through September 7, 2012.

Got the Member-Guest this week on Friday and Saturday. Not sure how it will play out yet but if Friday goes poorly enough saturday will probably be a drunkfest. I'm bringing in someone who i think gives me a chance to compete so be better not play like ass.

FYI. no idea how this differs from normal pricing but figured i'd pass it along

SUMMER SPECIAL - Ride and play 18 holes at Winston Lake Golf Course. Weekdays-$20, weekends-$25, now through September 7, 2012.

I think it's about $5 cheaper.

Played two new triad area golf courses this weekend.

First played Oak Hollow twilight rate. Only $24 and probably the best value in the area. Great layout with some picturesque holes, and the condition of the course wasn't too shabby. Couple rough greens and I remember one bad tee box, but overall I was very impressed for the inexpensive price.

Stony Creek this morning. Pretty nice course for $40 (golfnow). Lots of white stakes though which really added insult to injury on a hole or two. Couple times the stakes weren't more than 10-15 yards from the edge of the green. Little bit of a drive from the dash but worth it since it was on the way back to Richmond for me.

Oak Hollow is a Pete Dye course. Played it in a 2-man CC tournament this summer and enjoyed it.

Shot a 77 on Old Town the other day, first time I'd played in a couple of weeks. Started with three bogies in a row then birded 4 and 5 back to back before bogeying a couple more coming in on the front. I finished hitting the last three fairways and greens and just barely missed birdie putts on 16 and 17. I had a couple birdie putts lip out and had a birdie chip run across the hole on 6.

Might try to get out to the course tomorrow afternoon and get in 9 or 18.

Played in the Mastercard TPC member for a day thing today at TPC Potomac. Fun round, great weather, my foursome won the drawing and got a weekend at Sawgrass for the TPC experience. Solid Monday.

14 handicap looking to purchase golf balls. Never really put much thought into what balls I should use but figured I'd start now.

Any recommendations?

Better to purchase refurbished ProV1's vs new balls of a lower price?

14 handicap looking to purchase golf balls. Never really put much thought into what balls I should use but figured I'd start now.

Any recommendations?

What is your ball flight? What are you looking for out of a ball?

Any recommendations?

Haven't you been watching the nonstop Titleist commercials which say that the Prov1x is the best for every player?

Anyone see Johnathon Byrd shank a chip, double hit his next chip then hole out the next chip.

What is your ball flight? What are you looking for out of a ball?
Fairly normal ball flight, slight fade/slice on most my shots. Not really worrying too much about spin right now.

Guess I would say I'm looking for extra distance and something reliable.

Back