• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Fairly normal ball flight, slight fade/slice on most my shots. Not really worrying too much about spin right now.

Guess I would say I'm looking for extra distance and something reliable.

I play Bridgestone e6. They help control my slice which tends to be severe, and they add distance.

Fairly normal ball flight, slight fade/slice on most my shots. Not really worrying too much about spin right now.

Guess I would say I'm looking for extra distance and something reliable.

I think the ProV1 X-Outs are a great buy at $30/dozen.

I'm reading a lot of positive reviews for LostGolfBalls.com.

AAAAA ProV1 balls, $22 for a dozen.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Go for it! Even a rehabbed ProV1 is better than most balls, especially around the greens.

I know everyone hates a not-so-humble brag, but this IS the golf thread after all...

August ended up being one of the better months of tournament golf I've played in recent years.

In early August I finished T5 out of roughly 170 golfers in the Forsyth Invitational by shooting 73-68-74. The 2nd round 68 had 8 birdies, but I played the last 5 holes 3 over par. I was in the final group on Sunday at my home course, and cut the lead to 1 with 8 holes to play before a bad run on 12-14 took me out of it.

A little over a week ago I won our club championship for the 2nd straight year after being 4 back with 8 to play. I went into the last hole (par 5, 525 yards) 1 down and knew I needed to make 4 at worst. I hit a huge drive and only had 191 left in. Hit a 7 iron to 15 feet and 2 putted for birdie to force sudden death, which I finally won on the 3rd playoff hole. The guy I beat, Chris Logan, has been one of the best amateurs in NC over the last 20 years and has owned me for close to a decade. Felt good to finally get lucky and win one against him.

I advanced to the finals of our club match play by crushing my opponent 7&6 in the semis after shooting 31 on him on the front nine. Finals are this coming week.

I qualified for the NC Mid Am (qualifiers are IMO the toughest thing to get through in tournament golf) to be played later this month at Benvenue CC in Rocky Mount.

I started getting lessons from our assistant pro last fall and the results are starting to show with more consistent play under pressure. My bad tournament rounds have been 74s and 75s this year instead of 78+, and I've started going deep under par way more often.

I'll balance you out LK. I played 18 holes today and hit two fairways, one of which only went about 190 because I thinned it so bad. Thankfully the old punch draw 3 iron out of the pine trees was working so I only shot 84.

I'll balance you out LK. I played 18 holes today and hit two fairways, one of which only went about 190 because I thinned it so bad. Thankfully the old punch draw 3 iron out of the pine trees was working so I only shot 84.

I am familiar with this malady. I find that anywhere from 3-10 12oz curls will cure it by the end of the round.

I need recommendations for two courses to play in the Myrtle Beach area in two weeks. We are staying in the Cherry Grove area so don't really want to drive to any of the courses in the far south portion of the Strand. We want to play quality. I have not played that much golf down there and it has been a long time. I hear good things about Tidewater? Could we get on the Dunes Club? What else is really good? Any tricks to getting good rates?
Thanks in advance...

I got new irons (Cobra AMP-cavity not forged)). Haven't had new irons since I was in HS (I'm 34 now). Don't play enough anymore to warrant fitting, etc. Will have to let you know how it goes. Funny to get a set of irons without a 3 iron but that seems the trend these days. I guess I need to start thinking about getting a hybrid.

I got new irons (Cobra AMP-cavity not forged)). Haven't had new irons since I was in HS (I'm 34 now). Don't play enough anymore to warrant fitting, etc. Will have to let you know how it goes. Funny to get a set of irons without a 3 iron but that seems the trend these days. I guess I need to start thinking about getting a hybrid.

Definitely worth it. It's amazing how easy the newer hybrids are to hit.

Thoughts?

I would avoid these. A golf ball only has to be submerged for a week and it can lose up to 6 yards on average based on a blind test from Golf Digest. X-outs are different - typically just slight imperfections with no effect on playability. Sometimes you can find deals on logo balls as well.

I think you're better off buying brand new balls in the next tier down, like the e6's mentioned above or Titleist NXT's. Also keep an eye out for 3 for 2 deals. Last year Callaway sold 3 dozen HX Tours (their best ball) for the price of 2, and this year Taylormade did the same with the Pentas (also tour-calibur). Averages to under $30/dozen, can't do much better than that.

And LK that's some great playing, congrats on a solid month. I'm knocking on the door but haven't broken through yet. Hit 16 greens at University of Maryland on Friday but only made 2 birdies because the greens were destroyed from aerating - basically unplayable. I've had a 70 and 72 this year in tournaments but am hitting the ball better now than I was then, just can't quite break through. It's all little stuff, so annoying.

I would avoid these. A golf ball only has to be submerged for a week and it can lose up to 6 yards on average based on a blind test from Golf Digest. X-outs are different - typically just slight imperfections with no effect on playability. Sometimes you can find deals on logo balls as well.

I think you're better off buying brand new balls in the next tier down, like the e6's mentioned above or Titleist NXT's. Also keep an eye out for 3 for 2 deals. Last year Callaway sold 3 dozen HX Tours (their best ball) for the price of 2, and this year Taylormade did the same with the Pentas (also tour-calibur). Averages to under $30/dozen, can't do much better than that.

And LK that's some great playing, congrats on a solid month. I'm knocking on the door but haven't broken through yet. Hit 16 greens at University of Maryland on Friday but only made 2 birdies because the greens were destroyed from aerating - basically unplayable. I've had a 70 and 72 this year in tournaments but am hitting the ball better now than I was then, just can't quite break through. It's all little stuff, so annoying.

For a course used by an ACC team, that course never is never in good enough shape.

Usually the only thing wrong with the x-outs or ProV1 practice balls is that they messed up when stamping the logo.

I found a penta on a course like a month ago. It was a great ball. I left it in the bottom of a marsh somewhere on Central Florida.

You may be able to get a sack of Pro V1's in good shape on ebay. I don't know about shipping costs though.

I'm playing Echo Farms in Wilmington with some friends before a wedding on Friday - has anyone played that course before?

Thanks!

So far I am happy with my new irons. I haven't played a round yet but I can tell based on my range performance that they are an upgrade. Next up is a hybrid to complete my set. I've had the same driver and putter forever, but until I play more it doesn't seem worth the time/money to get new ones.

So far I am happy with my new irons. I haven't played a round yet but I can tell based on my range performance that they are an upgrade. Next up is a hybrid to complete my set. I've had the same driver and putter forever, but until I play more it doesn't seem worth the time/money to get new ones.

I'm the last person who should be commenting on new equipment since I still have original Callaway Warbird fairway woods, but depending on how old your driver is, that may be worth the upgrade. Finding a driver you can hit consistently for decent distance means more short irons from the fairway - you won't need the hybrid (theoretically).

Old putters are fine if you're comfortable with it.

I'm playing Echo Farms in Wilmington with some friends before a wedding on Friday - has anyone played that course before?

Thanks!

I've played out there a few times over the years. Never been a big fan of the layout, or the cost to play out there when there are nicer courses in the area that can be played for less. I did play out there back in June when I found a deal online to play for $19 after 11am. I will say it was in the best shape I've seen it back in June..

Back