• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I don't feel like I'm jumping at the ball but I certainly could be. I used to play a fade and my miss was a slice. I'm always scared to hang back and slow the arms because I'm afraid ill get stuck behind the ball and push/slice the ball. I'm wondering if my ball position is leading to the drop kick. Maddening game sometimes. But I love it

Making some assumptions from what you said, you might be swinging slightly outside on the follow thru causing the occasional hook. To avoid the inside out, drop kick hook etc, do some drills where you practice following thru on short ships low and left. Goal would be to have toe of the club head facing straight up directly down the target line. It sometimes feels like it would increase the likelihood of a hook, but your arms and wrists don't flip it over as much when you finish low and left. It will also allow you to have a more neutral ball position at address, bc you won't have to move it back to compensate for the inside out swing.

Going to throw out some major props to Sleepy98, who I understand shot 74 from the back tees at the Old Course yesterday. Round of a lifetime.

And LQ only shot a 77. Pathetic. Props to Sleepy, definitely.

Also, who were the resident equipment experts? I bought the TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 Driver though accidentally purchased the regular shaft instead of flex. The company wouldn't let me return it as I've hit it but will put a new shaft (labor being free) for me.

My swing speed is between 90-100 and he recommended I get either the FGS Ultralite 55 or FGS Ultralite 45.

My options are to just sell the club as is after only being played one round and buy the same driver with the Stiff flex, or go with his recommendation and allow them to put a new shaft on for me and just paying for the new shaft.

I know very little about golf equipment so don't know if I'm getting screwed or if those shafts would actually be good for me. Anyone?

If I remember correctly you need to talk to DCDeac, dude knows a ton about equipment.

And LQ only shot a 77. Pathetic. Props to Sleepy, definitely.

Also, who were the resident equipment experts? I bought the TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 Driver though accidentally purchased the regular shaft instead of flex. The company wouldn't let me return it as I've hit it but will put a new shaft (labor being free) for me.

My swing speed is between 90-100 and he recommended I get either the FGS Ultralite 55 or FGS Ultralite 45.

My options are to just sell the club as is after only being played one round and buy the same driver with the Stiff flex, or go with his recommendation and allow them to put a new shaft on for me and just paying for the new shaft.

I know very little about golf equipment so don't know if I'm getting screwed or if those shafts would actually be good for me. Anyone?

Hmmm. The good news is the Burner Superfast 2.0 is a pretty solid head so even though I'm generally a fan of ditching the club on ebay and getting a full-on replacement, reshafting that head isn't a bad move.

So swing speed in the 90-100 range sounds like a stiff flex probably high'ish torque shaft. What's the loft on the Superfast and how are you hitting it with regular shaft? Too high? Way too high? Good trajectory but lots of bend left/right?

I don't love ultralights and I haven't hit (or even heard much about anyone liking) those FGS's. Do you have other options? Prices? They offering current shafts or stock options? Out of the stock shafts for that club I think the Matrix Xcon 4.8 in stiff is probably your best bet. For a little more money (depending on what TM charges) you might look at maybe a Diamana Kai'li 60 stiff or a Project X 65 stiff. Both would be a nice step up from the Xcon but not crazy expensive.

Figured I'd just put this here - I volunteered the last two afternoons at the eGolf Professional Tour event that's being held in Greensboro at the Cardinal. Multiple Wake Forest guys in the field including Dustin Graves, Brendan Gielow and Chris McCartin. I was a starter on 10 this afternoon and met Chris (actually met Dustin too but didn't realize he went to Wake). Chris was a really nice guy - we talked about how good Wake was in athletics when he was in school with the 2006 football season and the number 1 ranking with CP3 his freshman year.

Even though it's a lower/starter tour, it was fun as hell to watch those guys play - they pretty much all had amazing swings. I sat out yesterday on a par three that was about 200 yards and watched about 8 groups come in. I think two guys missed the green (one was just on the back edge) and I only saw two or three bogeys. Just really solid golf.

McCartin was even yesterday and has a good shot at making the cut with a solid round today. Gielow will likely miss it, and Graves probably has to go real low today to make it.

Oh, High Point's Drew Weaver, the former Virginia Tech golfer and 2007 US Am champion, was also in the field. I guess he was the leading money winner on this tour last year.

Going to throw out some major props to Sleepy98, who I understand shot 74 from the back tees at the Old Course yesterday. Round of a lifetime.

Good for him. I told him he'd better post that before the PB member-guest. That's such an accomplishment. I would have crapped myself on the last few holes and wasted it.

Hmmm. The good news is the Burner Superfast 2.0 is a pretty solid head so even though I'm generally a fan of ditching the club on ebay and getting a full-on replacement, reshafting that head isn't a bad move.

So swing speed in the 90-100 range sounds like a stiff flex probably high'ish torque shaft. What's the loft on the Superfast and how are you hitting it with regular shaft? Too high? Way too high? Good trajectory but lots of bend left/right?

I wanted to get this club with a stiff shaft because when using a friend's for a couple rounds that was the exact same, my drive was pretty much what I wanted. However, when I used this club with the regular shaft, my balls would be low line drives with a little hook. Very weird as I've never previously hooked the ball and line drives are rare for me; my misses are usually normal flight height but slicing it.

I don't love ultralights and I haven't hit (or even heard much about anyone liking) those FGS's. Do you have other options? Prices? They offering current shafts or stock options? Out of the stock shafts for that club I think the Matrix Xcon 4.8 in stiff is probably your best bet. For a little more money (depending on what TM charges) you might look at maybe a Diamana Kai'li 60 stiff or a Project X 65 stiff. Both would be a nice step up from the Xcon but not crazy expensive.

Don't see those available on their site but I'll email and ask, or ask what are comparable?

I witnessed his round. We played the farthest tees they would let us, around 6800 yards. Best I've ever seen him play. He was hitting a low, boring shot off the tee all day and played magnificent golf. Could have been lower were it not for a couple 3 putts and an unfortunate bounce on his approach into 18. He finished birdie-birdie to post 35 on the front nine. Very impressive.

My golf highlights on this trip would be:

* On our first full day here we played 18 at Crail in the morning where I shot 1 under and then we checked into our house next to the Swilken bridge and I decided to throw my name down on the ballot on the Old Course around 3 in the afternoon. Lucked into a fourball with some members teeing off at 5:00. They were fantastic guides and that round with them was something that money can't buy. We had a solid 20mph wind and I posted a 76 which was my best ball striking round of the week.

* Drove it within 5 paces of the front of 18 green in that same round. When I played it a 2nd time with Sleepy, I launched a drive OB right that hit the Rusack's Hotel and rebounded into someone's flower bed about 50 yards away.

* I managed to navigate the first 15 holes of Carnoustie in even par before faltering to +3.

* Worst score I've shot in 7 rounds is a 77 on the Old Course yesterday. I've had a 69, 71, 73, 74, couple 76's and a 77.

The Balcomie Course at Crail is less than 6000 yards, is a par 69, and might have the best run of holes along the coastline of any course we've played yet in Scotland.

We have a full day in Glasgow to end our trip on Saturday and on a whim we looked up some area courses and snagged some afternoon tee times at Turnberry about an hour south. Going to finish off the trip with Kingsbarns (which I'm told is amazing) and Turnberry. Unbelievable.

Oh, High Point's Drew Weaver, the former Virginia Tech golfer and 2007 US Am champion, was also in the field. I guess he was the leading money winner on this tour last year.

British Am, and it was one of the flukiest wins in recent amateur golf. Drew Weaver is a fantastic golfer, but nobody saw that one coming.

It was a sham that he was left off the 2007 Walker Cup team following that win. How the hell do you leave a British Am champ off a Walker Cup squad that is travelling to the UK?

I witnessed his round. We played the farthest tees they would let us, around 6800 yards. Best I've ever seen him play. He was hitting a low, boring shot off the tee all day and played magnificent golf. Could have been lower were it not for a couple 3 putts and an unfortunate bounce on his approach into 18.

My golf highlights on this trip would be:

* On our first full day here we played 18 at Crail in the morning where I shot 1 under and then we checked into our house next to the Swilken bridge and I decided to throw my name down on the ballot on the Old Course around 3 in the afternoon. Lucked into a fourball with some members teeing off at 5:00. They were fantastic guides and that round with them was something that money can't buy. We had a solid 20mph wind and I posted a 76 which was my best ball striking round of the week.

* I managed to navigate the first 15 holes of Carnoustie in even par before faltering to +3.

Worst score I've shot in 7 rounds is a 77 on the Old Course yesterday. I've had a 69, 71, 73, 74, couple 76's and a 77.

We have a full day in Glasgow to end our trip on Saturday and on a whim we looked up some area courses and snagged some afternoon tee times at Turnberry about an hour south. Going to finish off the trip with Kingsbarns (which I'm told is amazing) and Turnberry. Unbelievable.

Enjoy the rest of the trip and safe travels. Sounds like an amazing experience. The courses over there must be super easy.

The courses over there must be super easy.

I'll tell Sleepy you said that...:p

I'll say this about the Old Course - if your miss is left, it's very playable. Very hard to score on though since it's tough to get the ball close if you're playing from the wrong angles. Just a brilliant course. #11 is the best par 3 I've ever played in terms of variance and strategy.

I've played the Old Course once and shot 71 in light rain and some nice wind from the longest tees they had open. 2 iron was killing it that day. Still pissed the local they paired me with took my picture on the Swilcan bridge, got my email address, insisted I didn't need another pic, and then never sent it to me. But it was an awesome experience - very jealous.

Favorite part of that weekend was after that round I ran into some guys that were pissed the Tiger tees generally weren't in use. They invited me to play Carnoustie with them and demanded to play it "where the pros do" but the back tees weren't open there either. The starter was clearly offended, I apologized quietly on the side, then shot 78 in some serious wind while watching the guys who insisted we tip it out all shoot 100+. 16 was 240 into the wind, none of them made better than 6. Then they wouldn't shut up about how much nicer their home country club courses were than the Old Course and Carnoustie. I almost had to take a cab home I was so sick of listening to them.

16 at Carnoustie is a bitch.

11 at the Old Course might be the best par 3 I've ever seen.

I'm going to head down to Ballyhack this weekend and most likely join. The membership fees for national members under 40 are too good to pass up. Has anyone played there? I'm pretty excited.

I'm going to head down to Ballyhack this weekend and most likely join. The membership fees for national members under 40 are too good to pass up. Has anyone played there? I'm pretty excited.
Where are you living? How often would you have to make the trek for it to be worth it?

How did you do on the road hole?

I made par! Drove itover the "O" in Hotel with a little too much of a draw into the left rough. Hit 7 iron from 190 to about 15 feet just short and right of the pin (i had learned by then that you get a lot fliers out of the rough). Barely missed the putt for birdie.
We played it in benign conditions. Maybe 10mph winds on the front and zero wind on the back.

Last edited:
Back