• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Headed off to Ireland today for a week. Is it bad that as a 9 handicap that I shot a 95 yesterday? Trying to decided if I should bring 4 dozen balls or 5

Headed off to Ireland today for a week. Is it bad that as a 9 handicap that I shot a 95 yesterday? Trying to decided if I should bring 4 dozen balls or 5
Where are you playing?

I played Portmarnock, European Club and one other I can't think of last summer. Without a doubt the most difficult courses I've ever played.

Where are you playing?

I played Portmarnock, European Club and one other I can't think of last summer. Without a doubt the most difficult courses I've ever played.

Adare, Old Head, Waterville, Ballybunion, Lahinch, and Doonbeg

Adare, Old Head, Waterville, Ballybunion, Lahinch, and Doonbeg
That'll be sick. Lot of big golf trips on here.

Today will be my last practice round prior to Pebble tomorrow. As long as the driver is working (using my friend's due to me being in between drivers), I feel pretty good about my game.

I have never broken par before for a full round. I've been 2 over a number of times, but that is the best I've managed.

Played at my course last night and got to 5 under through 10. I had everything working. Then I started thinking about what I have to do to come in under par and lost it. Played 7 over through the last 8 holes, including a triple on the 16th. Golf is a humbling game.

I have never broken par before for a full round. I've been 2 over a number of times, but that is the best I've managed.

Played at my course last night and got to 5 under through 10. I had everything working. Then I started thinking about what I have to do to come in under par and lost it. Played 7 over through the last 8 holes, including a triple on the 16th. Golf is a humbling game.

Oof, sorry to hear that. I've had my fair share of rounds like that, although I'm not sure I've ever gotten all the way to 5-under.

The good news is it gets easier to close it out the more often you're close to that magical under-par round.

Also, for the Ireland discussion, I was lucky enough to play at The Island (links style course) and Druids Glen (parkland style) when I visited there several years ago. Both very good courses and not too far from Dublin. I would recommend either of those as other places if you need to try to add a tee time.

We made the snap decision to play Turnberry tomorrow. That be 8 (9 for some) rounds in 8 days.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/blog/...s-irons-he-bought-at-golf-galaxy-for-memorial
K.J. Choi might have taken the cake this week, though. Choi went to a Golf Galaxy near Muirfield Village at the beginning of the week and snagged a new set of Mizuno MP-64s. Choi actually tested four different sets but felt like the one he picked was the only one that had a consistent swing weight from pitching wedge to 4-iron.

Turns out he was right -- the Golf Galaxy employee who serviced him said the other ones he tested had a swing weight of D2 through D4 while the one he picked was consistent at D2.

Where are you living? How often would you have to make the trek for it to be worth it?

New Jersey. Balky hack is close enough to Winston that I can play and get to football games. It's dirt cheap $3k initiation and like $2500 per year

New Jersey. Balky hack is close enough to Winston that I can play and get to football games. It's dirt cheap $3k initiation and like $2500 per year

In Roanoke?

I pay that roughly at my course and if I don't play weekly I feel cheated.

In Roanoke?

I pay that roughly at my course and if I don't play weekly I feel cheated.

Ballyhack is supposed to be legit. When I go to football and basketball games where am I gonna play? Tangle wood? No thanks. Im a member at 3 clubs and they're all within 35 miles I need variety.

Ballyhack is supposed to be legit. When I go to football and basketball games where am I gonna play? Tangle wood? No thanks. Im a member at 3 clubs and they're all within 35 miles I need variety.

Good for you. I'm too cheap to drop coin like that. I have a good offer to join a Tom Fazio top 5 VA course near me but can't justify being a member at two courses. If you're ever up for a guest with ~ 10 handicap let me know. I live just down I-81 from Roanoke.

Had my final tune up round prior to Pebble. Was looking pretty until finished bogey-double bogey to score an 81.

Highlight of the day was making a 25 footer for eagle on a 533, Par 5.

And not too shabby of a view of the first tee right outside my room

fenxq1.jpg

Good luck today Nonny! You're going to love it. The greens are the smallest you will ever see.

We're off to Tunberry in a few minutes for one last round before heading home tomorrow.

With caddy for most??

Nope. I've carried for 4 rounds and used a push trolley for 4 rounds. A couple of our guys used caddies at Carnoustie and The Old Course, but that's it.

Lester George is very underrated as an architect. I hear that place is a gem.

Back