• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

...does it? Honest question.
Yeahhhh at least in our market even if you go high-end I still think buyers think less of it/it hurts your resell value vs even the more affordable hardwoods. Unless it's something like a basement or elsewhere that you'd really want more waterproof flooring (and finished concrete seems to be the most popular choice in basements here for that).

Yeahhhh at least in our market even if you go high-end I still think buyers think less of it/it hurts your resell value vs even the more affordable hardwoods. Unless it's something like a basement or elsewhere that you'd really want more waterproof flooring (and finished concrete seems to be the most popular choice in basements here for that).
This was my thinking. Especially on a main floor, hardwoods are preferred. Laminate in the basement makes sense, though.

...does it? Honest question.

Universal isn’t the right word. I think for people with pets/kids LVP is a more attractive option if you’re putting them in your house.

If you’re looking at houses the preference is hardwood.

Universal isn’t the right word. I think for people with pets/kids LVP is a more attractive option if you’re putting them in your house.

If you’re looking at houses the preference is hardwood.
For kids and pets LVP is a really good alternative to wall-to-wall carpet. It makes cleanup a lot easier. However, you may need to treat it as semi-disposable flooring. That is, use it for a while, then put in something else when you are preparing to move.

this may have been asked and answered but here goes.

We have a stick built shed thats pretty nice. We use it for storage and a workout area for our son. A branch, during a winter storm, punctured a small hole. I watched a few videos on replacing the shingles and it looks reasonable, plus I have leftover shingles from when we built it. Anyone do this? Moderately easy with a flat crow bar and some roofing nails?

this may have been asked and answered but here goes.

We have a stick built shed thats pretty nice. We use it for storage and a workout area for our son. A branch, during a winter storm, punctured a small hole. I watched a few videos on replacing the shingles and it looks reasonable, plus I have leftover shingles from when we built it. Anyone do this? Moderately easy with a flat crow bar and some roofing nails?
Are you certain that the branch didn't damage the wood roof deck underneath the shingles?

Are you certain that the branch didn't damage the wood roof deck underneath the shingles?
I am certain it actually did. The particle board sheathing has a small hole where I can see some daylight through.

Ceiling fan issues:

It's on a single, non-dimming switch with a remote that controls the fan speed and lights

The lights blink on and off - often not coming on at all, sometimes will stay on for a while before cutting off. The remote works fine with the fan, and I can hear the audible click of the lights turning on and off with the remote - so the problem doesn't seem to be in the remote or its connection to the fan.

What I've tried:
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling to check that the wiring at the point of installation is secure
  • Using different bulbs (Using LED bulbs, tried low watt incandescent and had a similar effect, put back the LEDs)
  • Replaced the wall switch
  • Looked in the housing for a wattage limiter, but couldn't locate one (It has a circuit board b/c of the remote instead of just wiring - not sure if a limiter is part of the CB, but couldn't find a stand alone one)

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I am certain it actually did. The particle board sheathing has a small hole where I can see some daylight through.
Are there cracks in the particle board surrounding the hole? If so, you may want to put a cross brace between the two roof rafters on each side of the hole so the hole is covered from inside view. I would use a piece of 2x6 or 2x8 cut to fit between the rafters. Put it tight against the roof decking. Attach to rafters on each side.

Im guessing that the hole is probably as big as your hand, or close. You also might want to put a piece of particle board in it so there isn't a big space for shingles to sag in the sun. Either cut a custom shape of particle board or square off the hole after you remove the shingles. And then cut a plug to fit. Screw it to the cross brace mentioned above. Then redo the felt paper and shingles.

Ceiling fan issues:

It's on a single, non-dimming switch with a remote that controls the fan speed and lights

The lights blink on and off - often not coming on at all

What I've tried:
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling to check that the wiring at the point of installation is secure
  • Using different bulbs (Using LED bulbs, tried low watt incandescent and had a similar effect, put back the LEDs)
  • Replaced the wall switch
  • Looked in the housing for a wattage limiter, but couldn't locate one (It has a circuit board b/c of the remote instead of just wiring - not sure if a limiter is part of the CB, but couldn't find a stand alone one)

Any ideas?

Because none of what you tried worked, most likely issue is bad or loose components in the light controller part of the circuit board. The job of those components is to receive the on or off signal from the remote, process it and then flip the internal switch to either connect or disconnect the house power and the wires to the light fixtures.

Other possibility is loose or poor connection inside the circuitry where the lighting power and fan motor power go their separate ways inside the housing.

Vibration from thee fan can loosen poorly made factory connections.

If the fan is under warranty, manufacturer should replace. If not, I see fan replacement project in your future. Highly unlikely you can get or replace the circuit board.

How hard is it to install a ceiling fan? There are 3 or 4 spots in the new house that already have a ceiling plate where one used to be, and I'm just thinking that I might want to put a couple up. Don't really want to pay a handyman to do it, but also not sure if I'm up to the task.

How hard is it to install a ceiling fan? There are 3 or 4 spots in the new house that already have a ceiling plate where one used to be, and I'm just thinking that I might want to put a couple up. Don't really want to pay a handyman to do it, but also not sure if I'm up to the task.

not hard at all. You'll probably need an extra set of hands, though, to hold the unit while you're connecting wires.

Are there cracks in the particle board surrounding the hole? If so, you may want to put a cross brace between the two roof rafters on each side of the hole so the hole is covered from inside view. I would use a piece of 2x6 or 2x8 cut to fit between the rafters. Put it tight against the roof decking. Attach to rafters on each side.

Im guessing that the hole is probably as big as your hand, or close. You also might want to put a piece of particle board in it so there isn't a big space for shingles to sag in the sun. Either cut a custom shape of particle board or square off the hole after you remove the shingles. And then cut a plug to fit. Screw it to the cross brace mentioned above. Then redo the felt paper and shingles.
Its about the size of a golf ball. The particle board is a bit splintered and I thought about doing exactly what you suggested. Appreciate the assist.

Its about the size of a golf ball. The particle board is a bit splintered and I thought about doing exactly what you suggested. Appreciate the assist.
That must have been a perfectly aimed branch to make that small a hole yet penetrate shingles and particle board.

Caveat: I'm the guy asking for help about fans, but I've installed 4 others in our house with no problems.

It's really easy as long as you have an existing fixture. An extra set of hands is nice, but a lot of fans have a hook that will hold the fan in place while you connect the wiring.

not hard at all. You'll probably need an extra set of hands, though, to hold the unit while you're connecting wires.

Some newer fans have a "third hand" installation hanger that holds the fan a few inches below the box while you make electrical connections.

Most important: make sure there is a STEEL box behind the plate. Plastic will not hold a fan for very long.

Caveat: I'm the guy asking for help about fans, but I've installed 4 others in our house with no problems.

It's really easy as long as you have an existing fixture. An extra set of hands is nice, but a lot of fans have a hook that will hold the fan in place while you connect the wiring.
There is a difference between installing a fan, which usually means screwing in a bunch of screws and connecting three wires and trouble shooting intermittent faults in electronic components.

Back