• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

I don't know how to do shit, but it seems like a lot of you do. I would like to re-fill the spaces that have formed in a number of spots between the different pieces of wood molding in my basement. The molding is all white, so can I just buy white caulk and fill the spaces and leave it at that, or will it look shitty if I don't repaint as well?
Use white caulk and then repaint the moulding. The quickest and easiest fix.

What's a reasonable amount of money to spend on a chimney sweep/inspection?

What's a reasonable amount of money to spend on a chimney sweep/inspection?

I need to do this. Anyone have a Winston rec?
I have a friend who used to sweep chimneys. I sent him a message asking if he was still in the business.

Definitely have your chimney swept if it hasn't been done in a while, or prior to your first use if you just purchased a home. We had a structure fire tonight due to a chimney fire.

Any suggestions for someone to install insulation in Winston, possibly spray foam? The space that needs insulation is sort of like a basement, sort of like a crawl space. The finished room above it is always 3-5 degrees colder in winter and hotter in summer than the rest of my house.

Tent fella seems pretty handy with tile and grout l bet this would be a piece of cake and would only cost you materials + pizza

Need some advice on my new house in Blowing Rock..
The house is built on a closed crawlspace. No foundation vents. In the low spot of the crawlspace is a 6" or so pvc pipe that runs to the outside (my builder calls it a drain to daylight) in case water heater etc overflows. Floor of the crawlspace is covered in thick plastic. The condensation drains and dehumidifier are all set up to drain through this daylight drain. A few nights back we were single digits and the tip of the condensate drain lines near the daylight drain froze. So my heat pump stopped working properly. The hvac guys came out and put a wrapped heater type thing around the condensate drain pvc to unfreeze it. Things are fine now. But I'm curious about the overall setup.
- is there a better daylight drain system that won't let my condensate lines freeze? Overall my crawlspace stays pretty warm but it seems weird to have a large opening with cold air pouring in. I'll keep the heater wrapped thing on the pvc but that treats a problem without really fixing the issue..
I've reached out to builder. But curious what others think

I have a 100 gallon in-ground propane tank that I rent from Quality Oil. Would it be worthwhile to purchase the tank and avoid the $90 yearly rental fee?

I have a 100 gallon in-ground propane tank that I rent from Quality Oil. Would it be worthwhile to purchase the tank and avoid the $90 yearly rental fee?
I got my 500 gal from Quality for free, but I had to pay to have it buried.

What is the purchase cost? I drop maybe $600 a year on propane, it's insane you are paying $90 a year for a rental.

c96c54adc683603d9daa7f39aef3444f.jpg

Finally got around to building the built ins for my library that I've wanted since I built the house. It'll be great to have all of our books consolidated in one place.

that looks awesome, tsy. Are you going to stain it to match the lower cabinet/drawers or paint it?

In a month or so, I'll be building another on the opposite wall for my record collection. We were really fortunate for the library, spending less than $300 total. My mitre and table saw got a heck of a workout this go around.

In a month or so, I'll be building another on the opposite wall for my record collection. We were really fortunate for the library, spending less than $300 total. My mitre and table saw got a heck of a workout this go around.

It looks great - very impressive!

Back