• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

I know. I feel like I need to submit a fully-formed room idea in order to sell some colors (which range from the very exciting "sandstone" to a slightly gray-er taupe-y color)... but hell, even just painting everything white would be something.

Have we discussed West Elm furniture? Anyone have one of their couches?

I know. I feel like I need to submit a fully-formed room idea in order to sell some colors (which range from the very exciting "sandstone" to a slightly gray-er taupe-y color)... but hell, even just painting everything white would be something.

I like grays as neutrals. I just painted the finished room in my basement this color.

ed42abf9b35e29a672d21e2d288f6418.jpg

It's Magnetic Gray from Sherwin Williams. I got it at Lowes. Here is a picture I found in a room on the interwebs.

b6c1cb360f5f6084_1840-w500-h666-b0-p0--traditional.jpg

Have you considered something a little bolder ?

Have you considered something a little bolder ?

oh yeah, there's one wall that's kind of shared with the entry way and leads over to the nice brick of the fireplace (which has brass accents). i'd like to paint it a deep marine/peacock blue. that's the one i need to sell.
it would tie in nicely with the rug/sofa/furniture options we've got going on, as well as compliment the warmth and the floors and bricks really well.

in general i prefer pretty bland walls and then brighter pops of color in accents/plants. i don't want to be repainting walls every time i get sick of a color after staring at it for too long.

They are decent quality for the price. Depends on how many kids/pets you are going to have jumping all over them.

this is fair, and what I would assume of any furniture - that it depends on use/abuse.
two kids (but only 50% of the time), and this is also the 'living room' furniture that will most likely be used less than the 'family room' couch. It seems like it's reasonable quality and reasonable price.

this is fair, and what I would assume of any furniture - that it depends on use/abuse.
two kids (but only 50% of the time), and this is also the 'living room' furniture that will most likely be used less than the 'family room' couch. It seems like it's reasonable quality and reasonable price.

Yeah, probably much better suited for the living room. Based on our couches, they aren't built like the tanks you'd want to have in a family room with kids.

Sometime in the next few months, I'm going to rent a trencher and lay pipe from my downspouts to a location away from my house. There seems to be a large disagreement on them there interwebs of whether to use black corrugated pipe or pvc. The pipe will be buried at least 18" or so, and will be extending 50-100" away from the house before discharging down the hill. I've seen conflicting reports; some say that based upon the surface area of the tires, most standard vehicles exert the same amount of ground force as a 250 lb person, and others that say the corrugated pipe will collapse. What say ye?

oh yeah, there's one wall that's kind of shared with the entry way and leads over to the nice brick of the fireplace (which has brass accents). i'd like to paint it a deep marine/peacock blue. that's the one i need to sell.
it would tie in nicely with the rug/sofa/furniture options we've got going on, as well as compliment the warmth and the floors and bricks really well.

in general i prefer pretty bland walls and then brighter pops of color in accents/plants. i don't want to be repainting walls every time i get sick of a color after staring at it for too long.

My wife and I bought 25 different sample bottles of shades of blue before we found the one we really liked for our nursery. Turns out it was one of the first 5!

Sometime in the next few months, I'm going to rent a trencher and lay pipe from my downspouts to a location away from my house. There seems to be a large disagreement on them there interwebs of whether to use black corrugated pipe or pvc. The pipe will be buried at least 18" or so, and will be extending 50-100" away from the house before discharging down the hill. I've seen conflicting reports; some say that based upon the surface area of the tires, most standard vehicles exert the same amount of ground force as a 250 lb person, and others that say the corrugated pipe will collapse. What say ye?

Terra cotta or gtfo.

Just an anecdote, but I did that with the black corrugated pipe maybe 10 years ago and it still works fine and hasn't collapsed. It doesn't get cars on it, but good size lawn tractors and my neighbor drives his Gator over it pretty often. If it is 18" down, once the dirt hardens I don't think it would collapse.

Either kind of pipe sbould bear that much weight once buried properly as deep as you plan. You might need a little more slope if you use corrugated because the ridges will slow tbe flow a little. Alslo the ridges will tend to trap debris and dirt moreso than the smooth inside PVC. With the long runs you plan, (up to 100 ft) this might be something to consider.

Either kind of pipe sbould bear that much weight once buried properly as deep as you plan. You might need a little more slope if you use corrugated because the ridges will slow tbe flow a little. Alslo the ridges will tend to trap debris and dirt moreso than the smooth inside PVC. With the long runs you plan, (up to 100 ft) this might be something to consider.
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I've got gutter guards (birds kept building nests in my downspouts) so I'm not as worried about debris. I'm going to cover them with 10" or so of sand followed by topsoil, so hopefully if I ever had to dig them out, it wont be so much of a chore.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I've got gutter guards (birds kept building nests in my downspouts) so I'm not as worried about debris. I'm going to cover them with 10" or so of sand followed by topsoil, so hopefully if I ever had to dig them out, it wont be so much of a chore.

Might want to consider trying to create some sort of easy access to the first few feet from the downspout. Most of the debris will accumulate shortly after the water flow goes from vertical in the downspout to horizontal in the pipes you are installing.

Plumbing 'fun' just became more urgent at the new place - the shower situation was put in place for a little lady sitting on a stool to bathe; the hand-held clamp at the top of actual shower head output is too high and the hand-held unit hits the ceiling. the clamp that's mounted lower (which is where the hand-held thing has been this whole time) is so low that I took my shower sitting down today so I could wash my hair.
Needless to say, that's not sustainable.

No real advice needed, but just wish us luck that everything is as straight-forward as it should be for replacing the shower head unit... since plumbing projects are always so straight-forward.

May the force be with you... last weekend my wife broke the shower arm right off the wall in our master bath.

Granted it's 20 years old so she had some help in doing so, but needless to say it was not fun for me to repair.

Keeping my fingers crossed that there's no leak....

May the force be with you... last weekend my wife broke the shower arm right off the wall in our master bath.

Granted it's 20 years old so she had some help in doing so, but needless to say it was not fun for me to repair.

Keeping my fingers crossed that there's no leak....

yeah, I'm hoping not (regarding the leak). I've been under/crawled around below the bathrooms and the vapor barrier is bone dry and none of the piping is wet anywhere, so that's a good sign... as long as we can reasonably detach the current item without hurting the threading anywhere (it's all old galvanized stuff) (actually it may be worth replacing some of it with pvc or pex in this process).

yeah, I'm hoping not (regarding the leak). I've been under/crawled around below the bathrooms and the vapor barrier is bone dry and none of the piping is wet anywhere, so that's a good sign... as long as we can reasonably detach the current item without hurting the threading anywhere (it's all old galvanized stuff) (actually it may be worth replacing some of it with pvc or pex in this process).

Good luck with that plumbing. old galvanized pipe can be a problem. The galvanizing comes off and then you have iron pipes rusting together.

Back