• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

We are looking at adding an outdoor kitchen to our backyard. Primarily looking for sturdy places to put grills we already have plus some storage, but anything jump out about things we should be thinking about?

I think the only element we are considering that would require any electric would be a kegerator.

We are looking at adding an outdoor kitchen to our backyard. Primarily looking for sturdy places to put grills we already have plus some storage, but anything jump out about things we should be thinking about?

I think the only element we are considering that would require any electric would be a kegerator.

If you put in electricity, do more than just one for the kegerator. You never know when you want to charge a phone or plug in a TV or...

If you plan outside eating space, may want a refrigerator to store condiments - salad dressing, mayo etc. Food for grilling (steaks, chicken) cold food (e.g. potato salad), etc.

There were some heavy duty discussions of outdoor kitchens earlier in the thread.

If you put in electricity, do more than just one for the kegerator. You never know when you want to charge a phone or plug in a TV or...

If you plan outside eating space, may want a refrigerator to store condiments - salad dressing, mayo etc. Food for grilling (steaks, chicken) cold food (e.g. potato salad), etc.

There were some heavy duty discussions of outdoor kitchens earlier in the thread.

Thanks. We are adding on to an existing porch with a covered TV that’s next to the kitchen. So most of those concerns are addressed. I’ll look back at the start.

I just had my chimney cleaned and it took four months to get it scheduled and was quite expensive. It is an outdoor fireplace connected to our back porch, the liner is flue tile and flue size is 13" x 17". We use it probably 25 times per year. How often do I need to get this thing cleaned going forward?

Thanks. We are adding on to an existing porch with a covered TV that’s next to the kitchen. So most of those concerns are addressed. I’ll look back at the start.
When we did our outdoor kitchen/living area we put in an outdoor sink. Made it so much better for washing hands covered in food without having to open a door etc.

We got away with 2 dorm size fridges. Not outdoor ones just regular ones. Lasted no problem other than when we have hurricane flooding and lose them. If you do cabinets definitely spring for outdoor cabinetry, that warps super fast.

I just had my chimney cleaned and it took four months to get it scheduled and was quite expensive. It is an outdoor fireplace connected to our back porch, the liner is flue tile and flue size is 13" x 17". We use it probably 25 times per year. How often do I need to get this thing cleaned going forward?

From Family Handyman:

"While wearing goggles and a basic disposable dust mask, take a flashlight and a fireplace poker and scratch the black surface above the fireplace’s damper (smoke chamber). If the groove you scratch in the creosote is paper thin. If it’s 1/8-in. thick, schedule a fireplace cleaning soon. If you have 1/4-in. of creosote or more, do not use the fireplace again until it is cleaned—a chimney fire could occur at any time."

Typically 50 -70 burns will build up enough creosote to warrant cleaning. At 25 burns per year, that ould say every 2 or three years. The wood you burn influences that greatly.

Do the above self inspection once a year. I'd do it at the end of your burn season so you have the four months to get a cleaning appointment

Our tub is an old claw foot tub that has been fully enclosed (sad). It’s got the standard claw foot tub faucet & exposed shower diverter. Faucet leaks and has only gotten worse (roughly ~16oz over night). Is replacing the faucet & knobs pretty straightforward? Every video and instructions I’ve read are for claw foots not enclosed and they have access behind the tub which we do not. Is this going to require a plumber?

Our tub is an old claw foot tub that has been fully enclosed (sad). It’s got the standard claw foot tub faucet & exposed shower diverter. Faucet leaks and has only gotten worse (roughly ~16oz over night). Is replacing the faucet & knobs pretty straightforward? Every video and instructions I’ve read are for claw foots not enclosed and they have access behind the tub which we do not. Is this going to require a plumber?

The parts you need to replace should be directly behind the faucet handles. Likely faucet washers if you have separate handles for hot and cold. A cartridge if you have a single handle. Either way, the repair should be doable from the tub side. What brand of faucet?

The parts you need to replace should be directly behind the faucet handles. Likely faucet washers if you have separate handles for hot and cold. A cartridge if you have a single handle. Either way, the repair should be doable from the tub side. What brand of faucet?
Not sure. It doesn’t have a brand name on it. This may not be the exact model but it’s looks to be the same one.

Heavy Duty 3 3/8" Centers Chrome Plated Diverter Clawfoot Tub Faucet https://a.co/d/5LKOtqf

Not sure. It doesn’t have a brand name on it. This may not be the exact model but it’s looks to be the same one.

Heavy Duty 3 3/8" Centers Chrome Plated Diverter Clawfoot Tub Faucet https://a.co/d/5LKOtqf
That should be pretty simple to do from tub side.

Tools etc.: phillips screwdriver, flat screwdriver, wrench to remove faucet stem.

Supplies: plumbers grease (waterproof grease) faucet washer (proper size. Sizes are weird: 00, 0, 1/4R, 1/4L. Don't know what you need until you get to it.) Perhaps faucet stem brass screw.

Turn off water. Open faucet so it drains out. Leave faucet open. After water stops, close tub drain. Put a folded towel over it and surrounding tub bottom.
Remove the screw in the handle. Remove handle. May need to pry off. Minerals and corrosion can make it difficult. You will then see the faucet stem.

SOME FAUCET STEMS HAVE LEFT HAND THREADS.! BEWARE OF THIS!

If yours are like the picture, one being left handed is a strong possibility.

Unscrew the brass stem. Deep well socket (plumbers socket) open end wrench, whatever fits and will unscrew the stem from the faucet body. Keep track of any gaskets under the stem.On the bottom of the stem is the faucet washer remove it. There may be a brass screw holding it. Replace washer with new one.

The inside of the stem screws into the outside of the stem. Separate the two parts, grease everything and reassemble. Don't screw in the inner part of the stem all the way.

Put a little grease on the threads at the base of the stem. Screw the stem back into the faucet body. Make it snug but not super tight. There should be splines on the top of the stem. Put a little grease on them. Now screw in the inner part if the stem using the handle (no screw just yet). You may need to reposition the handle a few times) until it is snug.

Remove all the stuff from inside the tub. Turn on water. Tighten stem until water cuts off. Set the handle so it looks like it did when you started. Then reinstall the handle screw.

Repeat for the other side as necessary. Over the next few weeks, the faucet may need to be tightened more. This is normal as the washer goes through breakin. Reset the handle as needed.

Good luck.

That should be pretty simple to do from tub side.

Tools etc.: phillips screwdriver, flat screwdriver, wrench to remove faucet stem.

Supplies: plumbers grease (waterproof grease) faucet washer (proper size. Sizes are weird: 00, 0, 1/4R, 1/4L. Don't know what you need until you get to it.) Perhaps faucet stem brass screw.

Turn off water. Open faucet so it drains out. Leave faucet open. After water stops, close tub drain. Put a folded towel over it and surrounding tub bottom.
Remove the screw in the handle. Remove handle. May need to pry off. Minerals and corrosion can make it difficult. You will then see the faucet stem.

SOME FAUCET STEMS HAVE LEFT HAND THREADS.! BEWARE OF THIS!

If yours are like the picture, one being left handed is a strong possibility.

Unscrew the brass stem. Deep well socket (plumbers socket) open end wrench, whatever fits and will unscrew the stem from the faucet body. Keep track of any gaskets under the stem.On the bottom of the stem is the faucet washer remove it. There may be a brass screw holding it. Replace washer with new one.

The inside of the stem screws into the outside of the stem. Separate the two parts, grease everything and reassemble. Don't screw in the inner part of the stem all the way.

Put a little grease on the threads at the base of the stem. Screw the stem back into the faucet body. Make it snug but not super tight. There should be splines on the top of the stem. Put a little grease on them. Now screw in the inner part if the stem using the handle (no screw just yet). You may need to reposition the handle a few times) until it is snug.

Remove all the stuff from inside the tub. Turn on water. Tighten stem until water cuts off. Set the handle so it looks like it did when you started. Then reinstall the handle screw.

Repeat for the other side as necessary. Over the next few weeks, the faucet may need to be tightened more. This is normal as the washer goes through breakin. Reset the handle as needed.

Good luck.
Might need some graphite faucet packing material also.

Might need some graphite faucet packing material also.
True. Depends on what shows up once the handle is removed. Could be a gland nut filled with packing holding the stem in place. Or just the outside of the stem screwed into the faucet body. I have no clue as to the relative percentages of those two designs.

True. Depends on what shows up once the handle is removed. Could be a gland nut filled with packing holding the stem in place. Or just the outside of the stem screwed into the faucet body. I have no clue as to the relative percentages of those two designs.
Sometimes my gland nuts...

@Deaconblue tackling the shower faucet tonight. Would there be any benefit to just going ahead & replacing the brass stems?

My car is making a loud shrieking sound when I put it in reverse. Most noticeable when the car has been off for a long time. Seems not great!

Back