• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

That's possible, I've only been on this pay structure since June so that could very well be the case and I'm unaware

Final taxes will be based on your total income. Bonuses are just initially withheld at the highest rate.

That's possible, I've only been on this pay structure since June so that could very well be the case and I'm unaware

I've also seen folks max out their exemptions in the pay period before a bonus hits so the least amount is withheld and then revert to their normal withholding afterward. I get quarterly bonuses and based on my experience, you'll end up a bit over-withheld and get a refund when you file.

Anyone on here have any success with a recruiting firm in/around Charlotte, and have a rec? Thx.

Any specific area ? Hr accounting marketing ?

And if anyone has leads on director level digital marketing roles that are in south Florida or
Could be remote work 3 weeks a month.

Shoot me a pm

Any specific area ? Hr accounting marketing ?

And if anyone has leads on director level digital marketing roles that are in south Florida or
Could be remote work 3 weeks a month.

Shoot me a pm

Specifically product, portfolio, or account management - or related roles. Currently at the AVP level.

Lucas Group I think does broad spectrum recruiting. That's all I can think of.

finally dusted off the old resume after being contacted by a recruiter in London about a position in London/Copenhagen heading up a product consulting group in the alternative asset space. very interesting opportunity but I am thinking I'd like to get out of the pe/vc space. also not sure I want to leave cali.

also interviewing for an internal position as a product manager overseeing 2 of our products I work closely with. just got a call from my manager pissed that I hadn't told her I was interviewing. well, I didn't realize how far along they were as it seemed very informal. WHOOPS. I wonder how that will impact my candidacy. is it common practice to alert management if you express interest in an internal position?

any bay area deacs know of any good recruiters in the technology space?

Need some advice OGBoard professionals. Gonna be getting a job offer today. More or less a lateral movement career-wise and money-wise, but there are issues with the prospect of continuing to work at my current company that has had me exploring in recent months. New job is putting together the offer this afternoon but there will likely have to be some additional negotiations/back and forth to hammer out details beyond just base salary which I don't see moving and is already only slightly higher than what I'm currently making. At what point should I go to my current employer to give some notice with the anticipation of them offering me more money than I'd be getting from the new job? I don't want to jerk around the new job people and the recruiter who has been helping me but if I get offered more money to stay even with the issues I have I'd probably prefer to stay where I am. Basically how do I best use the leverage and anyone else had similar circumstances with the timing of going back and forth.

Need some advice OGBoard professionals. Gonna be getting a job offer today. More or less a lateral movement career-wise and money-wise, but there are issues with the prospect of continuing to work at my current company that has had me exploring in recent months. New job is putting together the offer this afternoon but there will likely have to be some additional negotiations/back and forth to hammer out details beyond just base salary which I don't see moving and is already only slightly higher than what I'm currently making. At what point should I go to my current employer to give some notice with the anticipation of them offering me more money than I'd be getting from the new job? I don't want to jerk around the new job people and the recruiter who has been helping me but if I get offered more money to stay even with the issues I have I'd probably prefer to stay where I am. Basically how do I best use the leverage and anyone else had similar circumstances with the timing of going back and forth.

If you are planning to try to leverage one against the other, as soon as you have an offer you could accept (in sports recruiting lingo, a "committable offer") from the new place is the time to talk to your current employer. If your current basically tells you that what you have is what they are giving you, you need to have a viable alternative. Also need to have some thoughts about how much more your current place needs to offer to get you to stay. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

On a similar note, is it important/worth it to actually show your current company proof of the offer, in writing? Or are they just supposed to take you at your word? Have heard suggestions for both.

Made the move last week after 12 years with a major insurance carrier that is "on your side" to a local governmental entity.

So far so good. :thumbsup:

If you are planning to try to leverage one against the other, as soon as you have an offer you could accept (in sports recruiting lingo, a "committable offer") from the new place is the time to talk to your current employer. If your current basically tells you that what you have is what they are giving you, you need to have a viable alternative. Also need to have some thoughts about how much more your current place needs to offer to get you to stay. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Yes. You need to be ready to go... And there are a number of studies that show that even if you stay, expect some turmoil. Depending upon who looking at you: You may not be trusted or you're going to be expected to do more to justify your higher base.

Yes. You need to be ready to go... And there are a number of studies that show that even if you stay, expect some turmoil. Depending upon who looking at you: You may not be trusted or you're going to be expected to do more to justify your higher base.

Great point and I probably will expect that if it all ultimately goes down that way.

Yup. Most advice is to never renegotiate with your current company. Staying rarely ends well, as they know you are looking to jump ship, so they will find a reason for you to be the first to go when that time comes.

My daughter is graduating and looking for her first job. She wants to get into event planning - corporate or sports-related, preferably. She has applied for some jobs that sound related but several have ended up basically being direct sales jobs that involve cold-calling and that sound almost like pyramid schemes. They all spout ridiculous numbers about how much you can be making within a couple of years and how you'll have a team of people reporting to you, etc.... Is this a common thing?

Oh, and if anyone has any leads for her, let me know.

My daughter is graduating and looking for her first job. She wants to get into event planning - corporate or sports-related, preferably. She has applied for some jobs that sound related but several have ended up basically being direct sales jobs that involve cold-calling and that sound almost like pyramid schemes. They all spout ridiculous numbers about how much you can be making within a couple of years and how you'll have a team of people reporting to you, etc.... Is this a common thing?

Oh, and if anyone has any leads for her, let me know.

Yes. Especially if she is finding these jobs on Craigslist.

Won't pay a ton, but if she wants to get into event planning then non-profit fundraising and corporate relations may be a place to look. Idealist.org is a good place to look for those. Usually tons of jobs in non-profit development. That and the operational or community outreach staff for professional sports teams. Unfortunately, the entry level job market blows outside a few professional fields and an internship may be the best foot in the door.

If anyone knows of any leads on outside sales roles (particularly pharma sales) let me know. My wife has been in small pharma for years and her company just sold out and they dropped almost all of the current sales force on April 13.

She's coming off of a President's Club year in which she was the number 2 salesperson in the entire company (and yeah, they didn't retain her anyway... Don't get me started...). She was working in dermatology for the past few years, but she's also worked in pain management (would prefer to stay with Derms if possible though). She's also worked in the past as a sales trainer and the PDMA compliance manager for a former company, so she has a lot of experience on the sales side of pharma.

She's going to take a little time off for a surgery and then hopes to be back at it around June or so. If anyone sees any leads, please shoot them my way! Doesn't have to be in or around Charlotte, although that's where we are currently, despite what my screen name says. We would move if the opportunity was right, but probably not north. Wife hates the cold.

Back