• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

I find myself in a pretty lucky situation with multiple offers. This has never happened before so I would appreciate some advice. Both are remote. Money is pretty similar. My concerns are being able to work internationally, as my wife gets stationed overseas, and finding the job after this one.

Offer 1 is a corporate gig. A step up from what I am doing. Different industry but still tech based. International company. They have been really slow in this process and initially they asked if I could wait 3 months for an offer, and also wanted me to work West Coast hours, but they have decided not to require that. I think tech is a great niche to be in for future jobs, and because of the international thing I am not worried about them letting me work from overseas. I am afraid though that the things I dislike about my current job will still be present in this job.

Offer 2 is a non-profit. Significant title bump, but its a really small legal group so its not that much of a promotion. This role is more of what I did before switching to the tech industry. US based, would require a little travel. Less corporate BS and I think I would enjoy the idea of doing a little bit of good rather than just making money. For international, the boss just said as long as I can be online for the necessary meetings he doesn't care where I am. Since the boss was just hired, there really is no room for promotion, and the steps for the next job aren't as clear. These guys moved very quick though and seem really excited about me potentially joining.

I am 35, married with 2 kids. Looks like we will be in the US for the next 3 years, but that could change. I don't know if now is the time to make the safe choice or to try something different.

Any updates?

Any updates?

Ya actually. Interesting turn of events.

Company 1 pulled their offer a couple of days after I mentioned I had another offer. They said there was another candidate they preferred for the position, but it sounded kind of fishy to me, because if they had someone else going through the process at the same time, then why did they initially want me to wait 3 months and why make the offer at all? In any case, the whole interview process was less than ideal, so probably a good thing.

I accepted the offer with the non-profit and will be starting in August. Hopefully fighting the good fight.

Company 1 pulled their offer a couple of days after I mentioned I had another offer. They said there was another candidate they preferred for the position, but it sounded kind of fishy to me, because if they had someone else going through the process at the same time, then why did they initially want me to wait 3 months and why make the offer at all? In any case, the whole interview process was less than ideal, so probably a good thing.

I accepted the offer with the non-profit and will be starting in August. Hopefully fighting the good fight.

Definitely sounds like company 2 was better choice then, fishy af from company 1/probably speaks to some bad culture or irrational behavior (i.e. I bet they considered you not "all-in" if you mentioned you had another offer, and decided to pull based on that).

Whoa! Congratulations - you probably dodged a bullet with Company 1.

Glad you've got something that you're excited about starting to look forward to!

I believe the technical term for that is BHOP (Butt hurt offer pull)

I’ve now had multiple interviews where the starting salary offered in the interview is less than the salary advertised on the job listing. What the hell.

I’ve now had multiple interviews where the starting salary offered in the interview is less than the salary advertised on the job listing. What the hell.

I ran into something similar where a range was posted and then during the interview process was told that they were effectively only going to offer in the bottom half of the range...unfortunately took some really great roles out of contention for me personally, but c'est la vie.

What’s the reason given?

I’m not sure, and I haven’t gotten far enough in the process to ask. I accepted an offer to start August 1st , so I am basically just seeing if there is anything with better pay. I’ve taken 2 interviews since that both had better pay in the listing, but during the introductory portion of the interview the pay is less than what was listed and I just say thanks but no thanks.

I had really hoped this job search I was going to be able to make the next step with pay and opportunity, but none of the better paying jobs I’ve applied for have contacted me back yet, but I found a job in Clemmons that pays about the same as I was making plus the opportunity for commission after a few months.

Pretty shitty false advertising. Are they advertising too good to be true salaries or expected range?

I’m not sure, and I haven’t gotten far enough in the process to ask. I accepted an offer to start August 1st , so I am basically just seeing if there is anything with better pay. I’ve taken 2 interviews since that both had better pay in the listing, but during the introductory portion of the interview the pay is less than what was listed and I just say thanks but no thanks.

So you have accepted an offer but are still interviewing for other jobs?

Pretty shitty false advertising. Are they advertising too good to be true salaries or expected range?

Definitely not, the salary range in the job listings were 40-60, the last two said the pay was 34 and 36 . Waste of fucking time putting on a fucking suit for a zoom interview that turns out to be a group interview with that Mickey Mouse bullshit.

Geez. A group interview for 10%+ lower than the bottom of the advertised range? Yeah that’s ridiculous. And good chance after they get turned down, some exec will say, “Nobody wants to work anymore.”

Geez. A group interview for 10%+ lower than the bottom of the advertised range? Yeah that’s ridiculous. And good chance after they get turned down, some exec will say, “Nobody wants to work anymore.”

Being forthcoming, it was a job with a local Allstate agency in Clemmons, and I only interviewed because they reached out to me on linked in and offered potentially 10k more pay. I don’t want to sell insurance, I would just like to make more money than I’m
Paying for daycare.

What do you think about that?

I'm kinda torn, tbh. On the one hand, it is a dog-eat-dog world and you gotta look after you - companies have no loyalty to employees anymore, so why should employees feel bad for screwing over a company? On the other hand, it would suck to go through a search, identify a candidate, make an offer, have the offer accepted, and then have the person take another job right before they were supposed to start - then you would have to start all over. That happened to us once - and by the time we found out and wanted to start the process over the corporate budget process had moved on and we lost the headcount - so we never got to fill the position.
I guess the only way it could come back to bite you would be if the industry is small and close-knit and they find out you are still interviewing. Or if you take another job and the first company starts bad-mouthing you to others in the industry...

if they're reaching out to you directly for a sales position it's likely that it's to run you

Back