• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

they're emailing blind because they can't retain anyone

I had an interview a few months ago for a position that really interested me, but it was going to be about a 50% pay cut from what I was doing (with potential, obviously, to increase that over time by doing a good job).

Then I interviewed and, at the end, the lady interviewing me dropped that they had budgeted an amount for the position that was like another 15-20% below what I'd been told by the guy that referred me.

I tried to respond that I was OK with that... That I was more interested in the role itself and that the compensation would work itself out over time. But I was clearly caught off guard and other than a quick follow-up discussion a week later, we both just moved on to other things.

It was funny... I had made myself comfortable with earning a lot less to make a career change and then when I was confronted with going even lower it was just too much. So now I just do the same thing I was doing for a different company.

Still contemplating a change, though.

I'm kinda torn, tbh. On the one hand, it is a dog-eat-dog world and you gotta look after you - companies have no loyalty to employees anymore, so why should employees feel bad for screwing over a company? On the other hand, it would suck to go through a search, identify a candidate, make an offer, have the offer accepted, and then have the person take another job right before they were supposed to start - then you would have to start all over.

I agree with you, I’m torn as well. It doesn’t feel good to keep looking, but I have to do what’s best for my family, and that means not settling for low pay. I would like to give more information about the company, but there’s a connection to Wake Forest there and I’m paranoid about saying the wrong thing.

There is actually a cool opening in advancement at Wake right now, but I haven’t had any luck applying for Wake positions.

I assume he means that it's going to be a high turnover type position, where they'll milk you for referral sources and then expect you'll either burn out quickly, flounder around where you don't get paid much, or be one of the few who really "makes it".

There’s only one way to do job searches, fail upward like Palma.

I’m really trying to fail upwards, but the best I can do so far is fail sideways. I think the problem is that I just go to work and yell at everybody for being liberals and it’s really hurting my ability to network.

Last edited:
Seriously though, it is really hard to job search at 35 without any real professional accomplishment. I’m just stuck settling for another job I’m not really excited about for the same salary I was making 12 years ago.

I assume he means that it's going to be a high turnover type position, where they'll milk you for referral sources and then expect you'll either burn out quickly, flounder around where you don't get paid much, or be one of the few who really "makes it".

this is what I mean

I'm not surprised they changed the salary up on you because they're just trying to see if you're desperate enough to not even question something like that

I say this as someone who continues to work part-time jobs to make ends meet

I get those emails all the time and ignore them

The weirdest ones are from people who pretend to be recruiters and they have a "perfect opportunity" for you

I say this as someone who continues to work part-time jobs to make ends meet

I get those emails all the time and ignore them

The weirdest ones are from people who pretend to be recruiters and they have a "perfect opportunity" for you

It doesn't hurt to talk to recruiters; helps you keep your interview skills sharp, refine your pitch, and build your network. The upside is that if you find a recruiter that you have a good rapport with and they know what you're looking for, then you've just created a passive job search stream that can bring opportunities to you. I wouldn't recommend it be your primary way to find a job, but it's worth a little bit of effort to engage some of these recruiters.

The job I took last month came to me by way of a recruiter; I reached out to a recruiter who supplied me candidates in my previous role to let them know I was looking and few conversations later I had a great job offer for a permanent role in a place I probably wouldn't have otherwise looked.

I’m really trying to fail upwards, but the best I can do so far is fail sideways. I think the problem is that I just go to work and yell at everybody for being liberals and it’s really hurting my ability to network.

Haha. If only there were wealthy people who hated liberals as much as you do.

Recruiters don't really reach out to me much. Kinda bums me out. I think my title, while fairly high in the company hierarchy, is too weirdly specific to be a match for a lot of roles that it would actually fit. I wonder if my company did that on purpose when they hired me in 2020.

i got hit up by recruiters a bit over the past year or so for the first time but i haven't pursued anything because i don't want to jeopardize my ability to post on OGBoards during the work day

Recruiters don't really reach out to me much. Kinda bums me out. I think my title, while fairly high in the company hierarchy, is too weirdly specific to be a match for a lot of roles that it would actually fit. I wonder if my company did that on purpose when they hired me in 2020.

If that's the goal, change your title on LinkedIn to be something that is a better descriptor for your functional duties or something more inline with what your role would be called at other companies in your industry. You can change your LI settings to turn notifications off and make this change without it triggering an update to your network.

What do you think about that?

I'm behind but I think we know. It's OK for the boss to treat potential employees shitty so -probably- he can make more money.

Remember when there were fewer individual billionaires in America and more people made living and family life sustaining wages? Seems so long ago...

Back