• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

I'm not really worried about them getting rid of me. They actually were really concerned that I'd take the package but keep looking so I now have two different retention awards to incentivize me to stay. One is two years out and one is three years out. The be honest, they'd be kinda screwed for a variety of reasons for at least a year if I did leave, regardless of whether they could quickly hire someone to replace me. I feel like I'm in a pretty good spot right now. And I don't have a 60-75 minute commute 5 days a week, which is what the new job would have been.

This is my last week of walking 10 mins to work and swapping that out for an hour drive. Will report back.

Hello Board people:

I am curious, how did people find jobs before the Internet?

Also since I am here, if anyone has any leads on in-house counsel positions, preferably remote, or DC/Dallas based, please let me know. Thank you.

Happy Holidays and Go Deacs.

Hello Board people:

Also since I am here, if anyone has any leads on in-house counsel positions, preferably remote, or DC/Dallas based, please let me know. Thank you.

Take a look at my previous pm. Not sure what is available at the moment but keep an eye out because it's really been a great company and our two main locations are DC/NOVA and DFW but looking to be fully hybrid (whatever you work out with hiring manager) for the foreseeable future.

Hello Board people:

The Sunday issue of any decent-size city (that would include W-S) would have multiple pages of job listings broken down by employment category; I guess similar to how you find listings on Indeed and other sites today. Even when i wasn't job searching I enjoyed glancing over them each week, b/c pre-internet that was a good a way as any to get the "vibe" of what's going on in the business community.
For a number of years I was in charge of hiring for a global company, and man was print advertising expensive. I remember running a 2" x 2" in the Sunday LA Times probably in the 90's that IIRC was over $2K. The Classifieds in most papers now are primarily small-print legally-required stuff such as estate settlements and job postings required before hiring migrant farm labor.

Hello Board people:

Seems short-sighted to look for a new job before suing your previous employer.

Hello Board people:

LinkedIn Tips:

Put the green #opentowork banner on your profile picture. [Make sure you are using a good professional photo.]

If you don’t have Premium, send a note to Ted Terpos e.g. ‘Go Deacs! I would love a LinkedIn Premium membership to help with my job search’.

‘Jobs’ tab is obviously going to be clutch.

If you search ‘DC lawyer job’ / ‘Dallas lawyer job’ and then sort by most recent, it will give you the most recent job postings from recruiters.

Subscribe to the ‘Wake Forest University Career Connectors’ page and

That’s what I spent most of my time doing when I was looking, in addition to networking lunches / calls. You can also reach out to WakeBDer for some really good resume tips. The other sites like ZipRecruiter seem to have a lot of spam, although with your legal expertise you are more than capable of sorting through that. 😃😃

Hello Board people:

In addition to general circulation newspapers, many professions had newsletters, circulated within the profession, that had job listings. That was a way to find technical/professional jobs.

Also, personal and professional acquaintance networking was important. My mom was acquainted with a woman whose husband connected me with the guy who gave me my first job. Very much a "who you know" and "who do your family and friends know" situation.

Many colleges and universities hosted job fairs. They were events where dozens to hundreds of companies would send recruiters to a campus on a particular well announced and publicized day and students could discuss job openings with the recruiters.

With respect to your specific job request, are there any specific industry sectors that would appeal to you or fit your qualifications more than others?

With respect to your specific job request, are there any specific industry sectors that would appeal to you or fit your qualifications more than others?

It seems like networking has always been the predominant factor in finding jobs.

I am not trying to narrow my search down too much at the moment, but my experience is predominantly working for companies in the tech, aviation or government contracting industries. Commercial Counsel is the position I am most focused on finding.

Last edited:
Shot in the dark here, but I've got a couple of positions we're looking to fill:
1) Experienced financial planner/advisor for a mutually-owned, B-Corp community bank in either the Hanover, NH (Dartmouth College) or Portland, ME areas.
2) Same as the above, but more entry-level, so we're flexible on the experience bit and open to different backgrounds. Location would be in Burlington, VT.

Shot in the dark here, but I've got a couple of positions we're looking to fill:
1) Experienced financial planner/advisor for a mutually-owned, B-Corp community bank in either the Hanover, NH (Dartmouth College) or Portland, ME areas.
2) Same as the above, but more entry-level, so we're flexible on the experience bit and open to different backgrounds. Location would be in Burlington, VT.
What if I am a Doctor and know nothing about financial planning beyond index funds, but would enjoy living in Hanover again or Burlington?
;)

So, it is likely that I will be only in the country for 18 more months max (will not know until June). I am hearing from companies that want me to do 6 month assignments. Is it worth me telling them that I would do an 18 month assignment and then leave, so they don’t have to worry about long term employment or should I just keep nodding my head and say yes that is fine and let my work speak for itself and hopefully they keep me on?

The problem with this is approach is that it if it does end in 6 months, this will severely limit my time with a long term employer before I go over seas, which could be prohibitive in finding a long term employer or if I do find one it would be another short stint on my resume.

What’s the earliest you would be going overseas?

And what are you ultimately looking for? Stopgap until you move or a position that would allow you to work when out of the country?

What’s the earliest you would be going overseas?

And what are you ultimately looking for? Stopgap until you move or a position that would allow you to work when out of the country?
June 2024. We are looking at expensive cities, so finding somewhere that is cool with me working from overseas would be ideal, international company with remote options. That would be my ideal, but I am not against an 18 month stop gap. Some of the cities we are looking at I am fairly confident I could find a job on the local market, but that is still risky.

Back