• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

So my last interview was 2/15 and I was promised feedback by 2/21 and it's been crickets. No response to my outreach either, so I'm assuming they are ghosting me at this point. Very bummed as it was a great role for me at a target employer. I'm disappointed, but not surprised to get ghosted, especially as I thought I interviewed well. I think I'm mostly mad at myself for stopping my job search for 5 weeks to put all my energy into this role. I should have known better.

So my last interview was 2/15 and I was promised feedback by 2/21 and it's been crickets. No response to my outreach either, so I'm assuming they are ghosting me at this point. Very bummed as it was a great role for me at a target employer. I'm disappointed, but not surprised to get ghosted, especially as I thought I interviewed well. I think I'm mostly mad at myself for stopping my job search for 5 weeks to put all my energy into this role. I should have known better.
that fucking sucks man, sorry. I've only had one phone screen so far but they said they wouldn't have an update til this week so holding out hope.

I'm mostly in the world where I have applied a million places but just get the sporadic rejection emails. Just got one from a company in an adjacent industry to where I used to work so I worked so goddamn hard on that app and got the no.

that fucking sucks man, sorry. I've only had one phone screen so far but they said they wouldn't have an update til this week so holding out hope.

I'm mostly in the world where I have applied a million places but just get the sporadic rejection emails. Just got one from a company in an adjacent industry to where I used to work so I worked so goddamn hard on that app and got the no.
I just talked to a friend who is a 60 year old white male. He is well qualified for many positions when looking at the results he has put up in the past. For the last 2 years, he has received the dreaded rejection email without ever getting an interview. This Friday, just for an experiment, he filled out 3 applications online stating he has 2 or more different races/sexual preferences. All 3 companies asked him for interviews 3 days later. I thought that was very interesting.

I just talked to a friend who is a 60 year old white male. He is well qualified for many positions when looking at the results he has put up in the past. For the last 2 years, he has received the dreaded rejection email without ever getting an interview. This Friday, just for an experiment, he filled out 3 applications online stating he has 2 or more different races/sexual preferences. All 3 companies asked him for interviews 3 days later. I thought that was very interesting.
😂 I call absolute bullshit on any job application having a checkbox for sexual fucking preference, is this a copy/paste from a boomer chain email?

I’ve done a million apps the past few weeks and most ask for gender, race, disability and veteran status. Certainly nothing about sexual preference.

That IS interesting ! !

😂 I call absolute bullshit on any job application having a checkbox for sexual fucking preference, is this a copy/paste from a boomer chain email?
I’ve seen it. Not common but does exist. Gender identity questions also pop up. They say those EEOC demographic questions don’t impact your application at all, but you can always leave them blank.

I love to second guess emails I send to recruiters as possibly tanking my chances

But I also thought a cover letter I sent to a different job wasn't good enough after lacking some details requested in the job posting (which I of course reread after submitting my application). They contacted me for an interview, so what do I know.

Sorry dude. It was a softball I couldn't resist. I was wrong for swinging.

If this was true all of you are sitting on a goldmine of discrimination lawsuits for whatever job you apply to and then are rejected from.

So this is in fact the first time I've come across this on a job app (also had one if I identify as transgender)

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 4.43.05 PM.png

So this is in fact the first time I've come across this on a job app (also had one if I identify as transgender)

View attachment 8523
So, my understanding is that this is legal only when there is an opt-out option and if the results are anonymized and only used for equal-opportunity data. You can't ask about it in an interview and this personal information shouldn't be accessible to the hiring manager.

Can confirm, not bullshit. I just applied for a job that asked these questions.

Just checking in to see how the Pit Job Hunters are doing...anyone having luck or recently made a change?

I've got 20 apps out since mid March - 7 automated rejections, 13 open (with no contact, so assuming rejection on anything older than a week). Going to start shifting my efforts a bit more to trying to connect with folks and get referrals, but feeling like my outreach is very transactional. Wondering if anyone has recent experience or tips on getting to a referral via people you have no direct connection to?

Ok job search advice.

I had my 3rd round with company A yesterday, fully expecting to make it to the final round, a chat with the CFO. The past few rounds I've interviewed on a Tuesday, heard back on Thursday to schedule the next round. Hopefully is the case here.

Had my first round with company B last Tue. The recruiter said the decision of whether or not you move on is completely up to the hiring manager, who will reach out directly, but she liked my odds. Said it could take a week or two to hear back. The hiring manager was out of the office last week so presumably back this week but obvi has other stuff to catch up on.

Would vastly prefer working at company B, better work, salary, growth opportunities, etc. And I mentioned that on my phone screen last week. But, I'm worried their process could be too slow where if I got an offer from A I dunno how long I could sit on it while waiting for B to move along. I know that if you have an offer in hand at one company you can use that to speed things along with another. But I don't have an offer yet, hopeful for one, just that company A is way closer to the finish line. Should I reach out to the company B recruiter yet or just wait it out.

Back