• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Just checking in to see how the Pit Job Hunters are doing...anyone having luck or recently made a change?

I've got 20 apps out since mid March - 7 automated rejections, 13 open (with no contact, so assuming rejection on anything older than a week). Going to start shifting my efforts a bit more to trying to connect with folks and get referrals, but feeling like my outreach is very transactional. Wondering if anyone has recent experience or tips on getting to a referral via people you have no direct connection to?
It's going for me. Plenty of apps out, get rejections from very few. Interviewed with 3 companies earlier on. One rejected me after the phone screen because I didn't have industry experience but the recruiter thought I was an excellent candidate otherwise (I'd argue direct industry experience isn't a necessity in my field, but hey). Another rejected me after the phone screen because they wanted more local candidates. The third I interviewed with the recruiter and hiring manager, but they ghosted me after round 2, which especially sucks because I knew the hiring manager from my time living in DC years ago as a friend of a friend and we had hung out a few times. No responses to my follow-up emails so I gave up.

And I'm currently interviewing with two other companies, see above.

It's going for me. Plenty of apps out, get rejections from very few. Interviewed with 3 companies earlier on. One rejected me after the phone screen because I didn't have industry experience but the recruiter thought I was an excellent candidate otherwise (I'd argue direct industry experience isn't a necessity in my field, but hey). Another rejected me after the phone screen because they wanted more local candidates. The third I interviewed with the recruiter and hiring manager, but they ghosted me after round 2, which especially sucks because I knew the hiring manager from my time living in DC years ago as a friend of a friend and we had hung out a few times. No responses to my follow-up emails so I gave up.

And I'm currently interviewing with two other companies, see above.
Five interviews is great traction! I'm sorry you haven't landed your next role, but every interview you take is getting you closer to a new role (not to mention keeping your interview skills sharp)!

Five interviews is great traction! I'm sorry you haven't landed your next role, but every interview you take is getting you closer to a new role (not to mention keeping your interview skills sharp)!
yeah that's how I'm looking at it. Just sucks when you're unemployed and ready to end this shit. Doesn't help my wife is starting to have worries about her employer's future and she's panicking (but that's her nature to worry a lot).

Ok job search advice.

I had my 3rd round with company A yesterday, fully expecting to make it to the final round, a chat with the CFO. The past few rounds I've interviewed on a Tuesday, heard back on Thursday to schedule the next round. Hopefully is the case here.

Had my first round with company B last Tue. The recruiter said the decision of whether or not you move on is completely up to the hiring manager, who will reach out directly, but she liked my odds. Said it could take a week or two to hear back. The hiring manager was out of the office last week so presumably back this week but obvi has other stuff to catch up on.

Would vastly prefer working at company B, better work, salary, growth opportunities, etc. And I mentioned that on my phone screen last week. But, I'm worried their process could be too slow where if I got an offer from A I dunno how long I could sit on it while waiting for B to move along. I know that if you have an offer in hand at one company you can use that to speed things along with another. But I don't have an offer yet, hopeful for one, just that company A is way closer to the finish line. Should I reach out to the company B recruiter yet or just wait it out.
I'd give it to mid-day on Friday and reach out, if you haven't heard anything.

I assume you guys are using LinkedIn pretty aggressively? Networking for openings (or even jobs not yet officially open) >>> spray and pray applications against hundreds of other folks.

I find most of my jobs to apply to through LinkedIn. Since I do communications, and just about every job posting in the world mentions something about communications skills, other sites like Indeed aren't as good at filtering things out. No, I don't want to apply to be an assistant Burger King manager or gynecologist.

I've definitely hit up every connection I can think of. the company B in my post above I messaged a former coworker and he emailed the recruiter on my behalf since their internal referral system was not working properly. also applied to a job at an old company that is a completely different type of work than comms but no doubt I could do it. I messaged the head of the dept and he said he'd talk to the hiring manager.

Just checking in to see how the Pit Job Hunters are doing...anyone having luck or recently made a change?

I've got 20 apps out since mid March - 7 automated rejections, 13 open (with no contact, so assuming rejection on anything older than a week). Going to start shifting my efforts a bit more to trying to connect with folks and get referrals, but feeling like my outreach is very transactional. Wondering if anyone has recent experience or tips on getting to a referral via people you have no direct connection to?
Explain what you mean by no direct connection? I've had people I know reach out to people they know on my behalf, which would be indirect I guess.

The issue with the click and submit job search world we currently live in means that openings are getting much more applicants now, even more so if its remote, so it is even tougher to stand out. Always try and find a connection: school, fraternity, military, friend of a friend, something that allows your resume to get in front of a real life human to go with submitting applications.

Also, I am not sure your interest level in this, but veteran preference would be a huge assist in a govt job. Keep grinding guys, it's not a fun experience.

Explain what you mean by no direct connection? I've had people I know reach out to people they know on my behalf, which would be indirect I guess.

The issue with the click and submit job search world we currently live in means that openings are getting much more applicants now, even more so if its remote, so it is even tougher to stand out. Always try and find a connection: school, fraternity, military, friend of a friend, something that allows your resume to get in front of a real life human to go with submitting applications.

Also, I am not sure your interest level in this, but veteran preference would be a huge assist in a govt job. Keep grinding guys, it's not a fun experience.
I am 100% open to this, but getting my clearance back could be challenging as certain Colorado laws don't align to other federal laws, if you know what I mean. I'm kind of limited in what kind of govt background check I think I can get through at this point.

I am 100% open to this, but getting my clearance back could be challenging as certain Colorado laws don't align to other federal laws, if you know what I mean. I'm kind of limited in what kind of govt background check I think I can get through at this point.
Still, give it a shot, take a look at govt jobs in the area, not all of them require clearance or intensive background checks, but all do have veteran preference. I am sure you are not the only one who has faced that issue.

Also, government contractors as well. They hire more veterans as well to help with their bids on govt contracts.

Last edited:
Ok job search advice.

I had my 3rd round with company A yesterday, fully expecting to make it to the final round, a chat with the CFO. The past few rounds I've interviewed on a Tuesday, heard back on Thursday to schedule the next round. Hopefully is the case here.

Had my first round with company B last Tue. The recruiter said the decision of whether or not you move on is completely up to the hiring manager, who will reach out directly, but she liked my odds. Said it could take a week or two to hear back. The hiring manager was out of the office last week so presumably back this week but obvi has other stuff to catch up on.

Would vastly prefer working at company B, better work, salary, growth opportunities, etc. And I mentioned that on my phone screen last week. But, I'm worried their process could be too slow where if I got an offer from A I dunno how long I could sit on it while waiting for B to move along. I know that if you have an offer in hand at one company you can use that to speed things along with another. But I don't have an offer yet, hopeful for one, just that company A is way closer to the finish line. Should I reach out to the company B recruiter yet or just wait it out.
As a hiring manager, I would greatly appreciate you letting me know that you had an offer with another organization but prefer or are really interested in our opportunity. That would help me put some pressure on HR on the process and if you were my preferred candidate at this stage make the process move faster. I would not let them know until you had a concrete offer, lest they drop you because they are concerned you wouldn't take the job if offered and company A doesn't end up offering.

That’s what I figured. Major corporation.
They will keep citizens of those five countries out of the whole corporation even though only part of it may be doing federal government contract work.

I'd give it to mid-day on Friday and reach out, if you haven't heard anything.

I assume you guys are using LinkedIn pretty aggressively? Networking for openings (or even jobs not yet officially open) >>> spray and pray applications against hundreds of other folks.
so I had typed up the email to the recruiter, and was proofing it and about 5 seconds away from hitting send when she sent me an email to schedule the next round. Gotta love that.

Well I guess it's good I never sent that email since I just heard back from company A that I didn't get it. I swear, every time I think I kill it with an interview I don't get it. Company B is vastly my preference, but still, was hoping I could pit them against the other.

Well I guess it's good I never sent that email since I just heard back from company A that I didn't get it. I swear, every time I think I kill it with an interview I don't get it. Company B is vastly my preference, but still, was hoping I could pit them against the other.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully B comes through.

In my last job search, I thought I was killing it - made it through two rounds of interviews and set up for a dinner/all day campus visit/presentation, etc. Had even heard from an inside source that I was their top choice. Had the all day interview and then was ghosted by the org. Huge hit to the confidence to feel like I was their #1 choice until they met me in person.

Worked out because I landed a position more in line with my passions/experience for more money with more responsibility/autonomy and less of a commute. Hope the same happens for you.

Anyway to get feed back on these interviews? One of my former post docs had been invited to several in person faculty interviews and walked away from every single one saying that he “nailed” it and then he never got the job. So on his behalf I called a couple friends at the schools to ask why, and they both said “he seems like a good guy and a capable scientist, but man he will talk and talk and talk, it’s hard to get a word in.” Guy was just getting so enthusiastic and amped up for the interview he turned the staff off. So I relayed that info and coached him through some strategies for staying chill and for making sure the interview panel feels respected. He just landed a job at UN - Reno! I’m not saying that’s what you’re doing but that the feed back on his interview skills were vital for correcting course and landing a a dream job. He had the right qualifications and CV the whole time, he just needed to adjust his speaking style.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully B comes through.

In my last job search, I thought I was killing it - made it through two rounds of interviews and set up for a dinner/all day campus visit/presentation, etc. Had even heard from an inside source that I was their top choice. Had the all day interview and then was ghosted by the org. Huge hit to the confidence to feel like I was their #1 choice until they met me in person.

Worked out because I landed a position more in line with my passions/experience for more money with more responsibility/autonomy and less of a commute. Hope the same happens for you.
yeah I feel that. a few years back my wife and I were wanting to relocate to NC from DC but were agnostic on the area...Triangle, Triad, Charlotte, or Asheville mainly. I flew to Cary to have all day interviews with one company, and at the end of the day when I was about to Uber back to RDU the hiring manager said nah let me drive you, and we had a great light and breezy conversation on the way to the airport. and I was thinking there's no way they don't hire me.

a few weeks later I was in Asheville for my final round with another company and about an hour before the interview got word I didn't get it, which obviously dealt a huge blow to my confidence. I left the interview that day really unsure as it was hard to get a read on the really dry HR person and the Finnish hiring manager. given that I was so optimistic about the last one I assumed I didn't get this one but then I did.

I have now concluded that in this job search that I have not moved forward when wearing this one blue jacket. for the first two I wore the same shirt as well, so have not worn that one since. has now happened 3 times. I wore a light grey jacket for the previous round with company A, so maybe there's some juice in it.

Back