• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

That’s awesome! But they wouldn’t let you do it after your trip?
I didn’t think it appropriate to ask. I had gotten word that interviews would be 10th-14th. Assuming most departments are this way, there will be a panel of firefighters conducting first interviews, and I assume they will interview 50-100 people that week. I don’t think they can just easily assemble the panel for a one-off the following week. They did offer to do a zoom interview, but i didn’t want to risk that.

I had another department call me to interview June 2 or 3rd and I told them i will be out of town. It was basically “well ok, bye.”

I didn’t think it appropriate to ask. I had gotten word that interviews would be 10th-14th. Assuming most departments are this way, there will be a panel of firefighters conducting first interviews, and I assume they will interview 50-100 people that week. I don’t think they can just easily assemble the panel for a one-off the following week. They did offer to do a zoom interview, but i didn’t want to risk that.
It's true - especially for line FFs, there's very little ability to do one-off interviews for the initial interview. Maaayyyybe if you make it to a Chief Interview round, but even still that's challenging because schedules are pretty tight. I'm glad you've got the opportunity and wish you the best of luck!

Omg, tomorrow is my 6th interview. Seems excessive but what can you do?

It just occurred to me that after all of these interviews I just don't have any more questions to ask the interviewer. Not sure what else i have to ask...

It just occurred to me that after all of these interviews I just don't have any more questions to ask the interviewer. Not sure what else i have to ask...
Yeah that was me yesterday when meeting with the VP. I’ve had so many rounds already plus had lunch, a tour, and an informal chat with the hiring manager before meeting with her.

Yeah that was me yesterday when meeting with the VP. I’ve had so many rounds already plus had lunch, a tour, and an informal chat with the hiring manager before meeting with her.

what did you do? i am trying to figure out if any answer needs further description

what did you do? i am trying to figure out if any answer needs further description
What made you join x company? What do you think is the biggest obstacle that this company needs to overcome? What has been the best part for you about joining x company? What is the one thing you wish you had known before joining x company?

What made you join x company? What do you think is the biggest obstacle that this company needs to overcome? What has been the best part for you about joining x company? What is the one thing you wish you had known before joining x company?
I think this is the right track. Make the questions personal about the individual's experiences rather than general about the Company.

What types of projects do you anticipate in the first 30-60-90 days?

What does it take to succeed here?

yeah, i have asked most of those questions during previous interviews but they are all good ones. they are also, imo, better for certain people than others...

one of my favorites is...are there any questions that I should be asking, or that you wished you asked before starting at x or in position x?

it's funny, i have interviewed so many people over the years and haven't been interviewed in such a long time...not much has changed, even the questions.

I ask for immediate feedback myself. Something like "i am always looking for feedback. Is there anything on my resume or in my experience that I could work to improve upon to make myself a more attractive candidate?"

I ask for immediate feedback myself. Something like "i am always looking for feedback. Is there anything on my resume or in my experience that I could work to improve upon to make myself a more attractive candidate?"
Yeah I asked hiring manager before I left if there were any concerns I could address and she said no. Was really hoping to get a call today but hoping they just need time to put the offer together 🤞

Yeah I asked hiring manager before I left if there were any concerns I could address and she said no. Was really hoping to get a call today but hoping they just need time to put the offer together 🤞

just my two cents, but i would not suggest doing this. so much of how candidates are perceived is just vibes / the airport test (not saying that's a good thing), and that really is not usually going to be a question the interviewer enjoys answering. that's a blanket statement of course, probably depends on the personality of the interviewer. but i think whether conscious or not, a lot of the assessment is just whether you are talking to someone you would enjoy interacting with a lot.

Back