• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Federal hiring manager called me to tell me I’m the guy but cautioned it could be until October when I start, which is a no-go for me. But it’s kind of luck of the draw what HR draws up. She was alerting me before checking my references but since I have no offers on the table I’m moving forward with it.

It’s the job I’d want most but can’t not have income that long. Though I guess it’s possible I could try to move a start date up.

You should go backpacking in Europe !!!

Federal hiring manager called me to tell me I’m the guy but cautioned it could be until October when I start, which is a no-go for me. But it’s kind of luck of the draw what HR draws up. She was alerting me before checking my references but since I have no offers on the table I’m moving forward with it.

It’s the job I’d want most but can’t not have income that long. Though I guess it’s possible I could try to move a start date up.
That's (mostly) great, man! Congrats!

Offering you in May for a position that start in October is wild though.

Especially since if it's a fed position its budget model and leadership could change only a few months after

Yeah she didn’t have any exact info since it’s up to HR but they hired someone in April who was given a Sept start date so she was speculating. But there are such varied timelines people post on Reddit that it really seems luck of the draw. She said they are going to apply as much pressure as they can and even her boss is worried they’re gonna lose me.

My wife was uhh not happy with this news, but we don’t officially know anything yet.

Barca gonna wait tables for a few months! Daddy day care for neighborhood kids? Could be yoooooou

Congrats on the offer.

And do "encourage" them to move up the start date. It's just past mid fiscal year. FTE burn shouldn't be a big concern just yet.

Congrats on the offer.

And do "encourage" them to move up the start date. It's just past mid fiscal year. FTE burn shouldn't be a big concern just yet.
Well I technically haven’t been offered yet, but we’ll see.

Man, Barca, that's awesome! Congrats on getting through.
October start date is wild, though. I really hope they're able to get things moving sooner - especially if this is a budgeted position in the current FY. Makes no sense as to why the start date would be delayed.

Man, Barca, that's awesome! Congrats on getting through.
October start date is wild, though. I really hope they're able to get things moving sooner - especially if this is a budgeted position in the current FY. Makes no sense as to why the start date would be delayed.
yeah we'll see. haven't officially gotten the tentative job offer yet, you need to get that before they can start all the background stuff, which, once approved, gives you your final job offer and start date (learned all this on Reddit). I don't know if you're assigned one HR person to process all that, so you're at the mercy of their schedule or not. like if they take 3 weeks off in the summer, or get back surgery and take 6 weeks. or is it a general case file that anyone can work on?

as for Company A: it's the end of the week, let's go with the next steps I've been promised!

also have to complete a recorded video interview for my old job. it's got video prompts from my old manager that you respond to. will probably work on that this afternoon.

also have to complete a recorded video interview for my old job. it's got video prompts from my old manager that you respond to. will probably work on that this afternoon.

Why would you need to do an interview for your prior job?

yeah we'll see. haven't officially gotten the tentative job offer yet, you need to get that before they can start all the background stuff, which, once approved, gives you your final job offer and start date (learned all this on Reddit). I don't know if you're assigned one HR person to process all that, so you're at the mercy of their schedule or not. like if they take 3 weeks off in the summer, or get back surgery and take 6 weeks. or is it a general case file that anyone can work on?

as for Company A: it's the end of the week, let's go with the next steps I've been promised!
Generally, yes. Each position has one HR hiring processor. so if they take a 3 week vacation you gotta wait. I think 6-week sick leave would get the position temporarily reassigned, especially with something like a surgery that has a predictable sick leave period. The department trying to hire you can try to get the position moving faster if they really want to, by calling the HR supervisor, etc. So if you get an offer from Company A but you prefer the Federal position, call the person you've been talking to and tell them your situation.

Back