• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Make sure that when you negotiate you state explicitly you want nothing to do with the FAR or NAICS
not exactly sure what that means in this context but I did speak with someone in the legal dept at another org and I believe he handles FAR negotiations for the business or something?

browsing the USA Jobs Reddit seems a mixed bag on what this means. some say they only do it for top candidate, others for all the top.

ALL THE VIBEZ FOR EVERYONE.

I just got a pay review back for the interim role I'm serving in right now, and feel almost uncomfortable with what they've offered. Will I sign and accept it? Yes. Is it a little wild? Also yes.

I just got a pay review back for the interim role I'm serving in right now, and feel almost uncomfortable with what they've offered. Will I sign and accept it? Yes. Is it a little wild? Also yes.
I'm not sure if this is a #humblebrag or #justabrag, but congrats.

I enjoy following this thread and rooting for everyone.

I work in a very niche part of the financial services industry and have considered going off on my own and starting a consulting firm. Instead of getting paid by one financial institution, I could consult for several while also consulting for a number of fintech/insuretech/home service companies that want to do business with those firms. I've got a lot of solid connections and think I could potentially make it a lucrative business, but saying goodbye to a pretty solid comp package and benefits would be extremely scary, particularly with a young kid and a wife still not back to work.

Nope. You're probably worth more. Don't let what you used to earn be an anchor to your expectations.

I mean, I work for the public so even "lucrative" offers are still tempered. That said, for public sector work it's beyond generous and I think I'm taken aback enough that I don't intend for it to be a brag as much as it's just an exclamation of what just happened.

I'm not in a niche area by any stretch, but in the last year I have started doing consulting work as part of a larger consulting firm that does strat plan/org assessment work for local governments. It's not paying the bills necessarily, but it's been a good foot in the door to that area. Do you have the ability to a side hustle like that, or would you be limited by NDAs?

I enjoy following this thread and rooting for everyone.

I work in a very niche part of the financial services industry and have considered going off on my own and starting a consulting firm. Instead of getting paid by one financial institution, I could consult for several while also consulting for a number of fintech/insuretech/home service companies that want to do business with those firms. I've got a lot of solid connections and think I could potentially make it a lucrative business, but saying goodbye to a pretty solid comp package and benefits would be extremely scary, particularly with a young kid and a wife still not back to work.
Why don't you just table it for a couple of years and then circle back to it.

Could also float the idea out to different connections to see how it would land/if they are interested as a very soft launch?

I feel like people forget the rhetorical structure of the humble brag.

It would be like lbe posting that she was frustrated trying to learn about a new tax bracket or that her arm was sore from signing the promotion documents

So just a #brag

I’m big on sending individualized TY notes to everyone I interview with. Do y’all ever respond ones you get unless there’s serious interest?

For Company A I met with 6 people this week and got replies from 3.

Then the head of the dept of the Fed agency I interviewed with yesterday just replied with a very nice note. I’d hope she wouldn’t do that at 5:45 on a Fri afternoon if it wasn’t a good sign for me.

Just trying to manifest any vibes I can.

Last edited:
I mean, I work for the public so even "lucrative" offers are still tempered. That said, for public sector work it's beyond generous and I think I'm taken aback enough that I don't intend for it to be a brag as much as it's just an exclamation of what just happened.

I'm not in a niche area by any stretch, but in the last year I have started doing consulting work as part of a larger consulting firm that does strat plan/org assessment work for local governments. It's not paying the bills necessarily, but it's been a good foot in the door to that area. Do you have the ability to a side hustle like that, or would you be limited by NDAs?
Just giving you shit. My boss is kind of a hard ass, but also the best boss I’ve ever had. Cool guy, very good at his job, well respected in the industry, and on the CEO track in my opinion. No chance he’d be down with me consulting either for competitors or for some of our partners to help them win our competitors’ business.
Why don't you just table it for a couple of years and then circle back to it.

Could also float the idea out to different connections to see how it would land/if they are interested as a very soft launch?
This is a good idea. I have a couple strong relationships I could leverage to gauge appetite and budget.

I’m big on sending individualized TY notes to everyone I interview with. Do y’all ever respond ones you get unless there’s serious interest?

For Company A I met with 6 people this week and got replies from 3.

Then the head of the dept of the Fed agency I interviewed with yesterday just replied with a very nice note. I’d hope she wouldn’t do that at 5:45 on a Fri afternoon if it wasn’t a good sign for me.

Just trying to manifest any vibes I can.
This is a must, in my opinion and I judge people a bit that don’t send me one. If I had a dud interview and they sent me a nice thank you note, I’d still probably send a quick response, but nothing with any substance.

This is a must, in my opinion and I judge people a bit that don’t send me one. If I had a dud interview and they sent me a nice thank you note, I’d still probably send a quick response, but nothing with any substance.
Well the one from the govt person was fairly detailed, recalling our conversation. So I’ve got that.

Well the one from the govt person was fairly detailed, recalling our conversation. So I’ve got that.
That seems like a good sign to me, hopefully you get good news soon! Is that your top option?

Back