• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

i'm assuming if there were industry-specific job boards you'd know about them, but for my line of work the niche job boards are generally better than the huge pool of jobs on linkedin
I haven't looked seriously in 10 years, but I've only heard about LinkedIn.

I haven't looked seriously in 10 years, but I've only heard about LinkedIn.
LinkedIn is probably the most popular aggregator of job listings. Indeed and Glassdoor are other places you might check - I don't always see the same stuff on all the sites. If you're in tech BuiltIn could have some jobs of interest. Lastly, and I offer this without first hand experience, I'm hearing and reading some anecdotes about industry specific slack channels. My impression is that the slack channels helps more for niche industries than general job seeking.

LinkedIn is probably the most popular aggregator of job listings. Indeed and Glassdoor are other places you might check - I don't always see the same stuff on all the sites. If you're in tech BuiltIn could have some jobs of interest. Lastly, and I offer this without first hand experience, I'm hearing and reading some anecdotes about industry specific slack channels. My impression is that the slack channels helps more for niche industries than general job seeking.
I'm Cybersecurity, so BuiltIn is probably a good idea. Thank you.

so tired of not hearing back. one company told me last week I would be scheduling an in-person, I followed up with them on Tue (a week since their prior email) and they said I'd hear this week to schedule. not optimistic I'll hear back on Fri but we will see. but I guess they wouldn't tell me twice that it's being scheduled if they didn't plan on doing it. they could've just been vague or not responded at all.

possibly ghosted by another group. I worked with two recruiters and had my 2nd round with them a week ago today. followed up but no word yet.

positive development with the fed gov't job. had a 3-person interview today with the hiring manager and the two people above her. she reached out about 20 mins after asking for writing samples (I was planning on sending anyway) so I think that's a good sign. and about an hour ago she looked at my LI profile so again, positive. but they have more candidates to talk to so we will see.

Wow, I need to do this whenever I need a response from a company. The hiring manager got back to me asking availability for several Teams calls with members of her team and the executive team.

I thought it was going to be in person. How do you take that? Not wanting to invest in their non-top candidate, too hard to coordinate everyone being in the office on the same day, or just as she said, no need to travel when I’d be working hybrid from a local office here and at home instead?

Wow, I need to do this whenever I need a response from a company. The hiring manager got back to me asking availability for several Teams calls with members of her team and the executive team.

I thought it was going to be in person. How do you take that? Not wanting to invest in their non-top candidate, too hard to coordinate everyone being in the office on the same day, or just as she said, no need to travel when I’d be working hybrid from a local office here and at home instead?
Fed is required to do the same things with all candidates, so if this is that job, then all the candidates are doing Teams.

Fed is required to do the same things with all candidates, so if this is that job, then all the candidates are doing Teams.
should've clarified. this one's not Fed, but the first company mentioned in the post above. Fed was today on Teams.

Is the whole panel in the same office?

Regardless, I wouldn’t read anything into it.

Is the whole panel in the same office?

Regardless, I wouldn’t read anything into it.
I’m not sure TBH. She (the hiring mgr) had implied in the last round that the next round would be a full day of meetings at HQ with fellow members of the Comms team and members of the Executive team. It’s a massive company with a big HQ in Cleveland, but the job posting said it’s open for candidates within 50 miles of their facilities in a bunch of cities, including Asheville (they have 2 factories here), Raleigh, and Charlotte.

It's cheaper for them to do remotely. If they are in anyway pro hybrid they probably aren't flying many people in for jobs unless they are really high level.

It's cheaper for them to do remotely. If they are in anyway pro hybrid they probably aren't flying many people in for jobs unless they are really high level.
Yeah I spoke with my former coworker who now works there and he was surprised when I told him they talked about flying someone out. Said it all sounds good.

I’m usually the optimist in my marriage but I’ve learned over the course of this job hunt that I should expect the worst so I’m not let down, then can be surprised when I get good news.

Its tough out there. Happy that Barca is making headway and I hope he's close.

For me, my role at work is expanding greatly so that's taking away from my job hunt. I'm trying to accept that this is what's in front of me and embrace it a little more, but it's kind of hard when I know deep down this isn't where I want to be long term. I did have 1 phone screen last week and I found out I won't be moving forward. I've had a couple of employee referrals that have seemed to go no where so that's frustrating. Mainly, just getting ghosted which is more or less the norm these days.

the ghosting fucking blows. it's just rude. if you spend time talking with someone, especially over multiple rounds, how hard is it to write a 2-sentence email that it's a no. that way I can check you off my list and not keep checking my email for a note from you.

I also don't understand it. Like, as a recruiter, that should be a bare minimum job requirement (in addition to potential hiring manager involvement).

I also don't understand it. Like, as a recruiter, that should be a bare minimum job requirement (in addition to potential hiring manager involvement).
i think it's just that they have no incentive to do it, job-wise

certainly the courteous and right thing to do, but it's going to have zero impact on their company if they do or don't

I've been hate reading r/recruitinghell and some people speculate it's to avoid any sort of blowback or litigation. but if you just give a stock answer and then not reply to any follow-up from the candidate seems like you wouldn't have the issue.

"Dear X,

Thank you so much for your interest in COMPANY. At this time we have made the difficult decision to move forward with other candidates.

We wish you all the best in your job search."

i think it's just that they have no incentive to do it, job-wise

certainly the courteous and right thing to do, but it's going to have zero impact on their company if they do or don't
yeah but it might help avoid plenty of follow-up calls and emails from candidates wondering

yeah but it might help avoid plenty of follow-up calls and emails from candidates wondering
You can always email them and say “I thought the professional thing to do was email you and let you know that I am no longer interested in joining your company. Over the course of this process I have realized that our values do not align and I wish you luck in finding someone better suited to your way of doing business.”

Feels cathartic if you don’t mind burning bridges.

Back