• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

That’s a tough situation. Here are three actions that could possibly help (in reverse order of helpfulness):

Get your supervisors to set up a meeting with the folks who developed the pipelines, models, etc so you can ask them directly.

Hire a student with skills who someone else could onboard who could help with annoying minor tasks.

Figure out some AI digital twin type stuff to maximize your output and efficiency.
The folks who developed them are long gone. I have access to the person who last had ownership over this stuff but they moved to a different team, have plenty of their own responsibilities, and, in any case, haven't touched it since 2021. I'm walking the line of treating them as a resource without monopolizing their time or being a nuisance.

It would be great to have a junior member of the team (my team is actually only me and my supervisor, come to think of it), but even if they were hired next week, it wouldn't help with this round of work.

The AI stuff is promising – we use Microsoft Copilot to help program – but since everything's in house, it can only really help with general data management, not the use of our internal functions and models.

A general employment question: If I started interviewing for jobs <1 year into this position for the basic reason of "I don't like this job/org", is that going to really come back to haunt me? It seems both really understandable and legit and also like I'm jumping ship/abandoning my team and I can't imagine my boss will be pleased since it's so hard to onboard for this org.

Employed folks of the pit, I need some perspective. I'll try to keep this short and sweet, but it's really hard to fully describe.

For context, I'm a PhD student who opted to exit the constant turnover of teaching and research assistantships and seek the stability of a full-time job while I write my dissertation. In case any of you know me, yes I'm still working on this and also shut up. I was fortunate to land a well-paying job (at least for someone who has never made any real money) as a scientist at the university. I've been there a little under 6 months, 1/3 of which was routine onboarding.

The situation I've found myself in is this:
1) The team needs to produce a new round of deliverables by summer.
2) To do this, they need to use a coding pipeline that was last run in 2021. It has not been maintained since then.
3) The last person in my position is still around but has moved to another team. My supervisor was formerly in my position but never ran this pipeline.
4) Very important: Everything in this organization is bespoke and custom. All the pipelines, models, functions, etc. were built and maintained in-house. All of this code was written by someone in 2017, patched up to keep running by 2-3 people since then, and hasn't been overhauled ever. Google cannot help me.
5) There's a smattering of team-specific materials online but it's sporadic and hasn't been very well maintained. Organizational updates are also documented online but not in a way that's easy to follow. Mostly, people who have been around just "know things" from being there.
6) They hired me, an outsider, to more or less learn the organization, learn the overall process, learn all the details, debug the whole thing, fold in new data, and produce new estimates.
7) No one seems to know how large of a task this is, not least for an outsider.
8) Leadership, looking at the progress I've made and looking at our deadlines, are starting to panic. They ask what resources I need and I don't know what to tell them because my whole thing thus far has been running code, finding an error, tracing it back somewhere, either fixing it or asking about it, and learning that "oh yeah, that thing changed two years ago" or that the problem is a user-written function with a deprecated parameter hard-coded inside. In other words, the resource I need is institutional knowledge, which I'm gaining quite rapidly but only through the process of grinding away at this shit.
9) The only real advice my supervisor has given me is to work harder/faster/longer because our boss really wants to hit these deadlines. He's very anxious.
10) They've warned me to start working overtime now to avoid sleepless nights closer to our deadlines.

My problems:
1) Obviously, I'm not having a great time. It's clear to me that it's their fault their shit is in bad condition and they brought me in with no other instruction but to "fix it" but do it faster somehow. I don't see how it's possible to just make things happen faster.
2) My mental health is important to me and I really don't want to carry their anxiety.
3) I have no time to finish my dissertation or otherwise live the life I want to live.
4) I'm union and technically am contracted to 40-hour workweeks (the employees unionized in 2021 because the org had a terrible reputation due to operating like a tech company even though we're public employees).

Considerations:
1) By now, I'm sort of an expert at this particular thing. At least more so than anyone else not in the org. It would take 6-9 months to get anyone else to this point.
2) They'd be fucked if I quit and I don't want to leave them in a lurch because I'm a decent human being.
3) I'm thinking hard about what I want out of a life and job and while making money is great, I don't want to opt to spend my precious time doing this/feeling this way.

In the evergreen words of David Byrne, "How do I work this?"

Bring in Miles Finch

Seriously - If you are at a university, I would reach out to see if your department could pay for the time/outside project honorarium for the previous person to consult. Even if it's 5-10 hours a week, for you to note impossible questions and have 1-2 hours a day to run the most frustrating things by.

They're there. Adjacent team, same boss. I'm actually very close to getting everything squared away, it's just not moving as quickly as they'd (unreasonably, turns out) imagined.

Oh, and also, my boss is a full professor at the university, the wife of the center's director, and a co-founder of the org. She does national interviews with Trevor Noah and shit. So that's great. Someone it would be nice to have on my side when networking/job hunting.
Have you explored using AI tools to debug and streamline the code? Maybe even get it to add #comments to the script to at least start sorting through the complexities? We’ve used chat gpt to help identify errors and convert code across platform languages.

tomorrow morning is prob the biggest interview of my career, with the hiring manager so obvi gotta impress and I know they ask tough Qs (fortunately I have the template).

to add to the pressure, now have a first round with another company tomorrow afternoon (my 6th company during this job search). come on, you assholes, it's time to give me a job.
How did it go?

How did it go?
Yeah I think overall went p good.

The first interview was scheduled for 30 mins and she said she had a hard stop but ended up rescheduling it after we were a few mins over and we went about 55 total. Which I assume is a good sign? She was very kind when I mentioned I had been laid off since she had been there herself and even stated the thing I don't mention, which is that comms people are generally not bringing in revenue and so sometimes easy to cut. Next step would be in-person at the HQ but won't know til next week. I sent a really good thank you letter IMO but left a word out of the subject line though I showed it to my wife and she thought it was ok.

Second interview was with a contract recruiter for the org and she said that between her and me I was the strongest one she'd interviewed so far, but she still had a few more people to talk to. So she will send along her notes to the hiring team and recommend they interview me but ultimately up to them. I'm kicking myself because my cover letter is addressed to Dear [Another Company] Hiring Team...I try to tailor it for every job app and this is the first one I forgot to change that. Everything else in the letter is correctly tailored and maybe she missed that but IDK if she will forward the letter along as well and someone will pick up on it.

So obvi I'm gonna stress about two small typos and hope they don't sink me. For most people it would likely be NBD but again, writing and editing are my strong suits and I'm generally excellent at it. Although one lesson I got from my first newspaper editor after turning in my very first story (which I had proofed a million times) that you can never accurately proof your own work, despite how many times you look it over. He found a typo in my first sentence.

Yeah I think overall went p good.

The first interview was scheduled for 30 mins and she said she had a hard stop but ended up rescheduling it after we were a few mins over and we went about 55 total. Which I assume is a good sign? She was very kind when I mentioned I had been laid off since she had been there herself and even stated the thing I don't mention, which is that comms people are generally not bringing in revenue and so sometimes easy to cut. Next step would be in-person at the HQ but won't know til next week. I sent a really good thank you letter IMO but left a word out of the subject line though I showed it to my wife and she thought it was ok.

Second interview was with a contract recruiter for the org and she said that between her and me I was the strongest one she'd interviewed so far, but she still had a few more people to talk to. So she will send along her notes to the hiring team and recommend they interview me but ultimately up to them. I'm kicking myself because my cover letter is addressed to Dear [Another Company] Hiring Team...I try to tailor it for every job app and this is the first one I forgot to change that. Everything else in the letter is correctly tailored and maybe she missed that but IDK if she will forward the letter along as well and someone will pick up on it.

So obvi I'm gonna stress about two small typos and hope they don't sink me. For most people it would likely be NBD but again, writing and editing are my strong suits and I'm generally excellent at it. Although one lesson I got from my first newspaper editor after turning in my very first story (which I had proofed a million times) that you can never accurately proof your own work, despite how many times you look it over. He found a typo in my first sentence.
Nice work, Barca. Glad you're getting some traction.

I've got a phone screen tomorrow that I'm looking forward to and at the same time my role at work is greatly expanding as well (great opportunity, but doesn't change the fact that I don't want to be where I am).

@ipitytheblue - I'd first appeal to their senses and see about adjusting the timelines, with the specific examples of your process and why it's time consuming, and why you need to do it that way. Laying it out very pragmatically makes it more obvious that then they should pay to have the previously-involved, knowledgeable employee on the other team come back to work towards this initiative.
Their options are:
1. risk inaccuracy/a crappy product for the sake of meeting their seemingly arbitrary timeline.
2. get an accurate product, but on an extended timeline (based on your speed of work)
3. get an accurate product on their timeline, but at an increased cost and possibly to the detriment of whatever that other person is working on currently.

One of the first documents I sent through to City Council a million years ago had the word "assess" in it more than once... except no, it did not. It SHOULD have said "assess" and instead it said "asses" three or four times. Zero people caught it in the routing process, I wanted to die at the time, it's one of my proudest silly work moments now.

Fingers crossed for you your typo-laden Thank You email has good returns!

One of the first documents I sent through to City Council a million years ago had the word "assess" in it more than once... except no, it did not. It SHOULD have said "assess" and instead it said "asses" three or four times. Zero people caught it in the routing process, I wanted to die at the time, it's one of my proudest silly work moments now.

So I ended up resending the cover letter to the recruiter and cited the story about my editor and talked about the importance of a strong Comms team. It’s been pointed out to me that the recruiter wants to get paid so she will hopefully portray me in the best light possible.

I realize I could’ve left be but I was gonna continue to think about it so said fuck it. And if they don’t hire me either due to a minor typo on a cover letter, which I think is a common mistake these days, or that I corrected and resubmitted…well they prob would’ve sucked to work for to begin with.

many government stories of missing the L in public

People are coming out of the woodwork now. A recruiter hit me up on LinkedIn about an opportunity, and a job with the feds I applied to two months ago now wants to talk. So that’s now 3 interviews tomorrow and I’m p sure the next step with my top choice company will involve a trip to their HQ.

People are coming out of the woodwork now. A recruiter hit me up on LinkedIn about an opportunity, and a job with the feds I applied to two months ago now wants to talk. So that’s now 3 interviews tomorrow and I’m p sure the next step with my top choice company will involve a trip to their HQ.

You might suggest they move the HQ from Greensboro. They might hire you as CEO immediately.

Back