• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Russian Election Interference Thread

You could ask a lot of dead civilian bodies in Aleppo, but I'm not sure they would answer you. I'm not sure that Assad would either.

Curious, we aren't allies with Russia now and those dead bodies are still dead.

Just read Strickland's signature after his last post and thought it was a comment on our geopolitical environment. Not a good omen.

Credibility as the worlds standard bearer for democracy and human rights (to the extent we can still claim such a title).

Further strain on our relationship with China.

What do we stand to gain?

Why would it strain our relationship with China? China and Russia have been buddying up recently, amirite?

We can gain ... fuck it i'm just bored

The bigger concern is that Putin is an authoritarian leader who uses his power to enrich himself and Trump looks primed to join him in that endeavor. The American system makes this somewhat more difficult but I have no doubt Trump would prefer to have the kind of unchecked power Putin enjoys and will push in that direction once in office.

I'm fine with an improved relationship with Russia that works to bring Russia more in line with the West, not one that brings America more in line with Russia's cronyism.

I think as far as trade and some global political goals like combating terrorism, especially ISIS you could make some solid gains. However they come at the cost of removing things like sanctions and Looking the other way with human rights. It's pretty clear that Russia has expansionist tendencies when they have the means, so destabilizing Eastern Europe and current allies is a real possibility and probably the biggest concern.

I think as far as trade and some global political goals like combating terrorism, especially ISIS you could make some solid gains. However they come at the cost of removing things like sanctions and Looking the other way with human rights. It's pretty clear that Russia has expansionist tendencies when they have the means, so destabilizing Eastern Europe and current allies is a real possibility and probably the biggest concern.

I just can't see partnering with Russia being a net positive in fighting global terrorism.

We teamed up with Stalin to defeat the Nazis so it's not like teaming up with awful dictators doesn't have precedent in our history. There are questions to consider though, e.g., is the situation in Syria comparable to Nazi Germany conquering most of Europe? Will teaming with Stalin end the Syria conflict in an acceptable way? Is Putin comparable to Stalin? And, the questions about how our existing allies will respond are important too. Russia has been perpetrating cyber warfare against our allies like the EU, the UK, NATO at large, plus they have perpetrated actual armed aggression in Ukraine recently as well. Is the cost of potentially pissing off our NATO allies worth the benefits of settling the Syria conflict (in a way that might not be in ours or the people of Syria's best interest)?

Also what does Russia really have to offer? That's why the get Trump elected conspiracy has some legs because if Trump is such a business person he has entered his negotiations with Russia as a little bitch as opposed to a position of power. The United States holds most of the cards, much better and more allies allowing for unilateral responses like sanctions, a pretty good economy compared to a failing Russian one, much better military, etc... It should be like a power 5 school negotiating with a lower level FBS school for home and away games. The only reason to agree to a home and home is if there is some hidden agenda for the person making the deal. In this case it seems that Trumps position on Russia comes from the ability to make money personally and for his friends not for US interests.

Also what does Russia really have to offer? That's why the get Trump elected conspiracy has some legs because if Trump is such a business person he has entered his negotiations with Russia as a little bitch as opposed to a position of power. The United States holds most of the cards, much better and more allies allowing for unilateral responses like sanctions, a pretty good economy compared to a failing Russian one, much better military, etc... It should be like a power 5 school negotiating with a lower level FBS school for home and away games. The only reason to agree to a home and home is if there is some hidden agenda for the person making the deal. In this case it seems that Trumps position on Russia comes from the ability to make money personally and for his friends not for US interests.

TITCR

And you support the puppet of Vladimir Putin.

wait.. what? are you trained in mis-direction or does it come naturally? you just went after me 'cause the article asserted Putin was a) involved and b) thought it would be in russia's interests to reveal corruption in the shining light that is the United States? keep me out of it, friend.

btw, how are donations to clinton's foundation coming along? one would think that's a tough sell these days...

That wasn't what he was doing. Nor is there any proof that he didn't alter emails as he has done in other countries.

It's astonishing that Rwers are now kissing up to the last Director of the KGB and believing he has America's interests at heart. You make lemmings look cynical.

Speaking of lemmings...

When Americans were asked their opinion of Vladimir Putin in July of 2014, Republicans hated the guy more than Democrats did. The Russian president’s net favorability (the percentage who view him favorably minus the percentage who view him unfavorably) was -66 among Republicans three summers ago. Now that number is -10.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...y-love-vladimir-putin.html?mid=facebook_nymag

Back