• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Spring Football 2014 Thread (Spring Game Saturday at 2:00)

Good summary of the last 6 years of Grobe ball:

"It's been a different transition, especially getting the coaching change in here," Johnson said. "[We're] really getting the different mindset that we're going to be a championship-level football team and doing what it takes to get there."

This championship-oriented mentality has the coaches holding every player to high standards, particularly veterans who have already proven their potential on the field.

"[Defensive coordinator Mike Elko] definitely expects a lot from me," Janvion said. "He wants me to be that leader on the field who's commanding the defense and making sure everyone knows what they're doing. Right now it's a little bit of a struggle because I'm still trying to figure out my position, but I'm excited about that role, and that's a role that I want to put myself in."

The Demon Deacons feel that the ultimate goal of being a championship team is well worth the extra effort, and they are excited to live up to the high expectations of their coaches.

"It's definitely been a big change," Janvion said. "I personally had never had to go through a coaching staff change before, but this change was definitely for the better. It definitely sharpened us. It's definitely a higher standard that they are setting for us, and we couldn't be happier."

Go Deacs! In 3 years we will be laughing at those who were afraid of making a change

I remember the same type of comments about the new coaching staff when Jim Grobe came to town not so many years ago. Change it appears is good many times. Let's hope the new coaching staff gets the type of players who are physically able to play at a championship level and can win championships.

Can this staff develop what we already have? We'll see in the spring game. The OL has as many 3* as ever, but they were poorly developed. Wasting a year on having 6'7" tackles try to cut block has set the program back. Claw has recruited more athletic OLs which will give more versatility on what he can do, but they might not be ready. This offense can do a thing without the OL clicking.

BlXGNcGCUAA4nK2.jpg

Claws IN. Also, heard the scrimmage for Saturday has been moved to Friday at 7:30 p.m. so the players can head home for the weekend.

That would be pretty awesome

This guy started a few games at the BCS level already. He might be a good bridge between Tanner and the freshmen coming in the fall. That way none of them have to play immediately, but rather could redshirt, learn, and get acclimated for a season, then play in 2015.

How likely would he be to even consider coming to Wake, and would there be room to fit him into the scholarship limit?

I remember the same type of comments about the new coaching staff when Jim Grobe came to town not so many years ago. Change it appears is good many times. Let's hope the new coaching staff gets the type of players who are physically able to play at a championship level and can win championships.

If you read between the lines it makes it sound like the players don't think the old coaching staff was striving to the highest level. Its "different" that we are working toward a "higher standard"

Regardless, I have high expectations but will wait at least 2 full seasons to see the fruits of Claws' labor

If you read between the lines it makes it sound like the players don't think the old coaching staff was striving to the highest level. Its "different" that we are working toward a "higher standard"

Regardless, I have high expectations but will wait at least 2 full seasons to see the fruits of Claws' labor

Yeah, it is one thing when a staff is working hard but what they are doing just isn't working. It is another thing entirely when a staff essentially packs it in and settles for mediocrity. I have not wanted to believe that that was true of Jim Grobe; but the evidence appears overwhelming. That is really disappointing because that is an ethical problem.

One effect of that lack of effort maybe to paralyze the new staff with a lack of talent. Clawson might be forced to play true freshmen.

I think Clawson is counting on playing true freshmen. It bares repeating that on paper we have some of the best incoming freshmen we've ever had coming in August.

I agree with you Mebane. If the upperclassmen by into Clawson, we could be respectable this year. If not, expect the young guys to take their beating.

I think Clawson is counting on playing true freshmen. It bares repeating that on paper we have some of the best incoming freshmen we've ever had coming in August.

Along these lines, about to begin a BSD piece that will be a depth chart by 247 composite rating. Probably won't be out until Monday though.

Probably true; but in the new ACC true freshmen will be torn to shreds, especially if they are expected to lead the team. That will apparently be the case with our offense.

The "new ACC" isn't any stronger than the "old" ACC. The best players should play. Any team with a decent amount of talent and good coaching can make a bowl in the ACC.

Back