• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Spring Football 2014 Thread (Spring Game Saturday at 2:00)

It will be dumb as shit to start a true freshman next year. Cameron will have the job

Yeah, it is one thing when a staff is working hard but what they are doing just isn't working. It is another thing entirely when a staff essentially packs it in and settles for mediocrity. I have not wanted to believe that that was true of Jim Grobe; but the evidence appears overwhelming. That is really disappointing because that is an ethical problem.

One effect of that lack of effort maybe to paralyze the new staff with a lack of talent. Clawson might be forced to play true freshmen.

It was often said that rather than playing to win, Grobe played not to lose. He often said he just wanted to hang around until the 4th quarter and see if something would happen. Clawson is bringing in a hit 'em hard and hit 'em often mentality.

It was often said that rather than playing to win, Grobe played not to lose. He often said he just wanted to hang around until the 4th quarter and see if something would happen. Clawson is bringing in a hit 'em hard and hit 'em often mentality.

Yea, it makes me shake my head when I see ESPN running article about Kliff Kingsbury starting his workday at 4:30 am each morning so he can get in and grind, and we employed a coach for how many years that would occasionally show up and walk through the morning football workouts in a sweater vest and khakis before leaving for whatever walk or game of golf he had planned that day.

I'll just add that playing not to lose is boring as all hell to watch too and I can't imagine that it is as fun for the players than playing to win.

I'm beginning to realize that Clawson is probably going to put a heavy emphasis on special teams this 1st season to offset the weakness on offense and rely more on the defense.

Guessing, particularly the first 5-6 games, we'll see alot of FG's, quick-kicks with an emphasis on field position plus much improved KO returns and KO coverage with an actual coach of same now. The Defense will be relied on more than the Offense.

Clawson seems to have a bit of gambler in him....bet we see that.

Barring injury, I suspect Smith and Wolford will show in July ready to compete for a starting position.[/QUOTE

competition is great but there is no reason for a true freshman to start at qb for a shitty team with no talent at the offensive skill positions.

4 of the first 6 games are on the road. @ULM to open (lol), @Utah State @Louisville and @FSU

Official Spring Football 2014 Thread (Friday 7:30 pm Scrimmage)

Clawson doesn't plan on having a shitty team. Give me the better QB who hasn't been Lobotomized.

Yea, it makes me shake my head when I see ESPN running article about Kliff Kingsbury starting his workday at 4:30 am each morning so he can get in and grind, and we employed a coach for how many years that would occasionally show up and walk through the morning football workouts in a sweater vest and khakis before leaving for whatever walk or game of golf he had planned that day.

Yeah, well Kingsbury now has just 1 QB on his TT roster as all the others are transferring out. It takes a lot more than just time and effort to be an effective and sustainable coach.

I don't know what will be worse; (1) A true freshman starting at QB or (2) a true freshman Not starting at QB. If a true freshman QB does not start immediately over the QBs Wake now has, it will mean that the true freshmen coming in really weren't very good after all. The QBs we have now - from what I have heard and seen -are nice runners but very inaccurate passers. Those type of QBs rarely can get the job done at the ACC level.

Am I right here?

Yeah, well Kingsbury now has just 1 QB on his TT roster as all the others are transferring out. It takes a lot more than just time and effort to be an effective and sustainable coach.

Davis Webb won the QB job and the other guys transferred. That happens. Kliff has a job (and is the youngest head coach in D1) and Grobe doesn't.

I don't know what will be worse; (1) A true freshman starting at QB or (2) a true freshman Not starting at QB. If a true freshman QB does not start immediately over the QBs Wake now has, it will mean that the true freshmen coming in really weren't very good after all. The QBs we have now - from what I have heard and seen -are nice runners but very inaccurate passers. Those type of QBs rarely can get the job done at the ACC level.

Am I right here?

Cameron seems decently accurate but looked like he lacked what it takes between the ears. He wasn't finding his WRs and he was locking on to certain guys pre-snap and then forcing it. Didn't look like the game has slowed down for him.

Cameron seems decently accurate but looked like he lacked what it takes between the ears. He wasn't finding his WRs and he was locking on to certain guys pre-snap and then forcing it. Didn't look like the game has slowed down for him.

This is the first time Cam has been even practicing with the mentality that he had a legitimate shot at starting. He was behind Tanner, and I don't believe for a second that he had much of a shot at unseating Tanner as the #1 QB. With Tanner gone, now is his time. But it may take a little bit for him to settle in, and as noted for the game to slow down.

Before he was always prepping "to be ready in case..." or for mop up duty. Not the same as preparing to be the starter.

I want a guy who is always preparing to be the starter.

This is the first time Cam has been even practicing with the mentality that he had a legitimate shot at starting. He was behind Tanner, and I don't believe for a second that he had much of a shot at unseating Tanner as the #1 QB. With Tanner gone, now is his time. But it may take a little bit for him to settle in, and as noted for the game to slow down.

Before he was always prepping "to be ready in case..." or for mop up duty. Not the same as preparing to be the starter.

agreed. I had to keep reminding myself he was learning a new offense and it was the first scrimmage last weekend. he throws a nice ball, but the two long two shots I saw him take the receiver gave up on the route early. definitely moves his feet well in the pocket. If his shoulder stays healthy I think he will be a good QB over the next two years

I mentioned to p4nthers during the scrimmage that I wish one of the freshman enrolled early for some competition, Sousa will not push him.

Riley had less experience then either Sousa or Cam, when he was thrown in there. A good running game will help them, a bad one will expose them.

Inexcusable that Cam did not get more work this past year, considering how many games were not close.

Back