• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Spring Football 2014 Thread (Spring Game Saturday at 2:00)

What the fuck does this have to do with anything?

He wasn't following the conversation regarding what level of intensity and work is require to attain success in major college football. Whether Grobe had it in 2006 is not being debated because what is certain is that he no longer had it in the present.

I want the best QB available to play. Whether he is 17 or 22 years old.

As for the Cameron mindset- that's a terrible excuse and if he is using that for his excuse then he won't win the job.

I'm beginning to realize that Clawson is probably going to put a heavy emphasis on special teams this 1st season to offset the weakness on offense and rely more on the defense.

Guessing, particularly the first 5-6 games, we'll see alot of FG's, quick-kicks with an emphasis on field position plus much improved KO returns and KO coverage with an actual coach of same now. The Defense will be relied on more than the Offense.

Clawson seems to have a bit of gambler in him....bet we see that.

All fine and well but football is about 3 parts offense, 3 parts defense, to one part special teams. I agree we have been awful as of late in the ST department but it won't cover any weakness in the other areas.

I want the best QB available to play. Whether he is 17 or 22 years old.

As for the Cameron mindset- that's a terrible excuse and if he is using that for his excuse then he won't win the job.

I don't know whether that is his mindset at all. That is me, not him, speculating on why he might not be setting the world on fire.

However, he has spent three years beating his head against a proverbial brick wall with respect to starting. It may take more than a week for the realization that the brick wall is gone to sink in. Also, as pointed out elsewhere, he is learning a new system. It may take a little while for that to "click" to the point where he just does and doesn't have to think about what he is supposed to do.

Yes the best QB should probably play, but maybe not. If this is going to be pretty much a throw away year, is it worth wasting a year of eligibility of the freshmen QB's? I would rather redshirt them unless the situation is such that they are just miles ahead of Cam/Sousa. Preserve that year of eligibility for 2018.

Winning a game or two with better quarterback play this year will pay off in better recruits down the road.

I trust Clawson. He has sized up Sousa and Cameron this winter and he wants to see what they can and can't do. Neither of the new guys is being herald as the next John Elway. When Grobe threw Skinner in against 'Cuse, he didn't ask him to throw 20 straight "go" routes. In fact he was sacked on his only pass attempt. He led the team on a 5:18 minute TD drive and sealed the game, giving 'Cuse the ball with about a minute left. We must get the OL's act together. Any QB will play better on 3rd and 2 then 3rd and 12.

Is the scrimmage today going to be over at the stadium?

I trust Clawson. He has sized up Sousa and Cameron this winter and he wants to see what they can and can't do. Neither of the new guys is being herald as the next John Elway. When Grobe threw Skinner in against 'Cuse, he didn't ask him to throw 20 straight "go" routes. In fact he was sacked on his only pass attempt. He led the team on a 5:18 minute TD drive and sealed the game, giving 'Cuse the ball with about a minute left. We must get the OL's act together. Any QB will play better on 3rd and 2 then 3rd and 12.

Great post.

Another thought about the low expectations. Clawson, Scheier and the rest of the staff wouldn't be on twitter talking about #theaWAKEning and #carolinablack if they looked at this squad and thought they would debut like Doeren did at State last year. #theaWAKEning includes the fans waking up and embracing real expectations.

Clawson's track record shows that he will turn us around. I would like no chatter and a 4-0 start than #theaWAKEning and a 2-2 start. Success will fill the stands. We've been sold catch phrases before. Thankfully my hair hasn't been on fire in a long time.

Official Spring Football 2014 Thread (Friday 7:30 pm Scrimmage)

Anyone who attended a home game in the last two years knew the effort wasn't there. My personal boycott of attending Wake athletics began in the 2012 football season, when it was obvious to anyone in attendance that Grobe and company we're doing little more than cashing checks. My respect for Grobe will always be severely tainted after witnessing that bullshit.

Which is why I'm so CLAWS IN! Love having some intensity back in the program.

Last edited:
Amen, Brasky. It's already nice to see some fire from our staff. Going to be even better to see some fire on the sidelines.

Thanks. I changed the title to show the scrimmage is at 6:45.

Amen, Brasky. It's already nice to see some fire from our staff. Going to be even better to see some fire on the sidelines.

Claws continues to be hands on. Last night the players weren't even in pads so they could save energy/prevent injury before tonight's scrimmage. They were going through situational 2 minute drills and clawson was sprinting, grabbing the ball, marking the ball and telling them to go while creating urgency. He's clearly demonstrating he's in it right there with his guys.

Claws continues to be hands on. Last night the players weren't even in pads so they could save energy/prevent injury before tonight's scrimmage. They were going through situational 2 minute drills and clawson was sprinting, grabbing the ball, marking the ball and telling them to go while creating urgency. He's clearly demonstrating he's in it right there with his guys.

I'm so glad that we fired our CEO. Thanks for the updates, Cumberland. I'm excited about our sports for the first time in a long time.

Anyone who attended a home game in the last two years knew the effort wasn't there. My personal boycott of attending Wake athletics began in the 2012 football season, when it was obvious to anyone in attendance that Grobe and company we're doing little more than cashing checks. My respect for Grobe will always be severely tainted after witnessing that bullshit.

Which is why I'm so CLAWS IN! Love having some intensity back in the program.

Agreed. And, I would like to see some semblance of true player development. I can think of very few football players who actually improved the last 2-3 years. Same mistakes game after game after game.

Another thought about the low expectations. Clawson, Scheier and the rest of the staff wouldn't be on twitter talking about #theaWAKEning and #carolinablack if they looked at this squad and thought they would debut like Doeren did at State last year. #theaWAKEning includes the fans waking up and embracing real expectations.

Coach DD and crew at State were doing the same thing. If you guys QB play is as bad as ours was last season it will be really difficult to have anywhere near a .500 season. QB play is a huge equalizer in CFB

Which is why it makes no sense to stash a more talented true frosh on the bench and let Cameron fail.

Clawson brought in two QBs for a reason.

Back