• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL Thank you Jim Grobe thread

Growing up a WF FB fan in the 80s and 90s was brutal. Groves had horrible facilities and the on-field product was, for the most part, worse. I want to thank Coach Grobe for building a program that all WF fans can genuinely be proud of and one that we expect great things from. I also want to thank him for the success that led to facility upgrades. I'm looking forward to visiting the statue they'll hopefully erect in his honor, maybe with a plaque that says "Play like your hair's on fire" or "It's time to dream a little bit."

Totally agreed. A tribute at BB@T Field should be in order for Grobe.

Thanks coach- for the ACC Championship, for being a class act and for getting us to a point where a 5 win season is a disappointment. Best of luck- hope to see you on the sideline again.

Thanks Coach, always a good ambassador for WFU. Great coach, and better man. Will never forget 2006.

Thank You Coach Grobe! My wife and I went on our first date on June 30th, 2006. She went with me to almost every Wake game that magical season including BC, @ Maryland (Division Clincher), the ACC Championship, and the Orange Bowl. I will always believe the fun we had that season and how close it pulled us together is one of the big reasons we are happily married today.

Out of the many memories of that great season, the first one I thought of when I heard that Coach Grobe was resigning was at the end of the 30-0 thrashing of FSU (which I was lucky enough to attend) when the ESPN reporter was waiting on the sideline to interview Coach Grobe and instead of running to the reporter Coach ran to the stands to find Holly and give her a kiss. Speaks volumes of the kind of person he is and that his priorities have always been in the right order.

I have been following Wake Sports for 50 plus years. There are 3 generations of my family at Wake Forest and i hold the MD degree from Bowman Gray. If any of you so called "fans" who called for his resignation think that any hire will be able to come close to what Grobe did for Wake Forest, you are delusional. Get ready for 3 and 10 seasons for the rest of your lives if you are lucky. Hope you enjoy.

I have been following Wake Sports for 50 plus years. There are 3 generations of my family at Wake Forest and i hold the MD degree from Bowman Gray. If any of you so called "fans" who called for his resignation think that any hire will be able to come close to what Grobe did for Wake Forest, you are delusional. Get ready for 3 and 10 seasons for the rest of your lives if you are lucky. Hope you enjoy.

This is the absolutely wrong thread for this kind of post/discussion baiting. Take it somewhere else please.

Jim Grobe and Skip Prosser were such great role models for our Deacon athletes through the years. Sorry that neither is around for the future. Glad Wake had 2 of the best men in college sports in recent times.

I don't understand some of the comments here. As I said on another thread, the first half of his tenure was the happiest of my long association with Wake, the second half was probably the most disappointing. Based on his results, he earned a helluva salary(richly deserved). However, based on the results of the last five years I don't believe anyone could say he earned it. For whatever reason, he did not capitalize on the heady Orange Bowl era. I know of no CEO, mgr. or anyone else that would pay what he was earning for the results he was getting. Success in any endeavor is measured by current events and not what happened 7 years ago. I'm glad he did the honorable thing and hopefully went out on his own terms. The reality of the situation is that I didn't enjoy watching what our program has become and frankly remembering 2006 didn't help. There is also the fact that the program today is no better than the program he inherited when he arrived. Hopefully Wellman has at least one good hire left in him. At least the next few weeks will generate some interest in the football program.

EDIT- going to keep the negativity out of this thread

I appreciate and respect what Coach Grobe brought to Wake Forest

Last edited:
Coach- thank you for making Wake Forest football relevant and the great memories. Also, thanks for the many young men you helped mold and for keeping our program clean. Wish you all the best in your next phase. God bless.

Bruce Feldman: @BFeldmanCBS: Jim Grobe stepping down at #WakeForest. Had a really good run there. Not many coaches more respected by peers than him.

I expect Groves will rock when Grobe rides in with the Deacon on the Harley sometime in the future.

It always appeared to me that a part of Grobe passed with Skip.

@slmandel: RT @MattZemek_CFN: All you need to know about the job Jim Grobe did at Wake Forest: He won one more ACC title than Miami.

He was responsible for some of my happiest moments at Wake. Really sad to see him go.

Coach Grobe was a man that, when he looked you in the eye and shook your hand and asked "how you doing?", you knew he really wanted to know an answer to the question. He was genuine in every aspect of his life. I want so badly to believe he came to this decision of his own accord, for that makes me love the man even more. There were, however, a few comments during the presser that made me go "hmmm?", and question if this was totally his decision. I pray that it was. I do feel for all the coaches and their families and the uncertainty that they now face. I trust they will land on their feet somewhere. I agree with Grobie that the players are resilient and will bounce back and play their hearts out for Wake Forest regardless of who leads them. After all, Wake is a wonderful institution.
Finally, I would say this...for all the kind words and comments given to Grobe today by all those on this board I am sure they are appreciated. I'll bet 'ol Grobe doesn't read them but I know he somehow feels the outpouring of affection Wake fans have shown this evening. I had the pleasure of talking with Coach on several occasions and everything positive that has been said about him is absolutely true.
If you had to define Coach Grobe with just one word that word would be INTEGRITY!

I love Coach Grobe!

Miss him already

Back