• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I don't know if I can give Sing a chance because the Secret Life of Pets was TERRRRRIBLE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if I can give Sing a chance because the Secret Life of Pets was TERRRRRIBLE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I usually hate Illumination Studios films, and I really didn't like Secret Life of Pets, but SING was alright. There is something about their films that bores me to death about 30 minutes in, but SING picked it back up.

Oh and Diary of a Country Priest and The Passion of Joan of Arc are classics in the faith movie genre

Jason Bourne was okay; enjoyable enough. Like many modern sequels, it replicated all the successful parts of the original movies - both as a summary ending, and a thrown bone to the fanboys.

Took the family to see Hidden Figures yesterday. Really enjoyed it. I little over the head of the 6 year old, but the 8 and 10 year old loved it and sparked some great questions. Plus Cottonmouth and VooDoo Tatum are in it.

Hidden Figures was great. Except making academic coastal elites heroes and hard working god fearing Russians the villains.

Just saw Moonlight and I'm still thinking about it. It's beautiful and heartbreaking. I can't think of a single critique for it, and I agree with all the acclaim it's received. Interestingly I think it would be a great companion film to "Boyhood".

Just saw Moonlight and I'm still thinking about it. It's beautiful and heartbreaking. I can't think of a single critique for it, and I agree with all the acclaim it's received. Interestingly I think it would be a great companion film to "Boyhood".

Best film I have seen all year.

I thought it was really well done

Definitely heavy but just so full

Scorsese asks all the right questions here. What is faith? Where does doubt play into that? What happens when we don't feel like we have the answers or are hearing nothing but silence, what is sacrifice, the value of symbol and sacrament

I agree with you. It was a beautiful film, but I appreciated its lack of visual gimmick. It was like an old, rather than new Malick film in this regard. I was also really impressed with the script. It could've easily staked out a political position, but it chose instead to make that deliberation process the audience's responsibility. With the exception of the Japanese Christians (the film's one downside, IMO), I felt that they did a great job of fleshing out the characters and their motivations.

What was your take on how the film ended? I can't imagine that it's much of a spoiler and that many on here will see the film, so hopefully this isn't a controversial question.

I felt like this was Scorsese's most radical statement. In my interpretation, it suggests that, while the politics of the time did not allow for multiple expressions of faith (at least from the Church's perspective, as the Inquisitor suggests that the peasants were practicing their own version of Christianity the whole time), one's personal, internal faith transcends orthodoxy. It's a powerful message, IMO, especially in these times.

Moonlight was easily the best film of 2016, IMO. I also feel like Mahershala Ali is the most underrated actor in Hollywood right now. (His performance in Hidden Figures was really good, as well.) Boyhood is a solid companion piece, but I really appreciated how Moonlight resisted Boyhood's unfortunate sentimental moments (e.g., where the waiter at the restaurant thanked Patricia Arquette for inspiring him to do more with his life).

Last edited:
Oh, Moonlight is a much better film than Boyhood in nearly every way, including a lack of cheap sentiment. As of this moment I would rate Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea as tied for the best, and Hell or High Water 3rd.

Oh, Moonlight is a much better film than Boyhood in nearly every way, including a lack of cheap sentiment. As of this moment I would rate Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea as tied for the best, and Hell or High Water 3rd.

These are my 1 and 2 as well, though I put some distance between them with Moonlight at #1. Also ditto to the statement that Mahershala Ali is underrated, criminally so if you ask me.

i saw moonlight today based in doofus's rec. i enjoyed it also. found it very slow and boring and yet somehow very good. depressing also.

TBH, I'm don't typically change my opinion of a movie based on viewing format. I know plenty of people that are, and I appreciate that they appreciate such things, but seeing something on the big screen, or IMAX, or 3D or whatever else hasn't ever really been important to me.

I got to see The Master in 70mm when it came out. I wasn't expecting it to make that big a difference, but holy crap. It looked superb

The only redeeming quality of the Master was the cinematography. I really think that people that didn't see Mad Max: Fury Road in theater with a big screen and surround sound really lost something.

We watched The Accountant the other night and it held my attention.

The Master was terrible over acted Oscar bait. I would have walked out if I didn't think there was going to be something redeeming at the end of the film.

The last non-animated film I walked out of was Inherent Vice.

I agree with you. It was a beautiful film, but I appreciated its lack of visual gimmick. It was like an old, rather than new Malick film in this regard. I was also really impressed with the script. It could've easily staked out a political position, but it chose instead to make that deliberation process the audience's responsibility. With the exception of the Japanese Christians (the film's one downside, IMO), I felt that they did a great job of fleshing out the characters and their motivations.

What was your take on how the film ended? I can't imagine that it's much of a spoiler and that many on here will see the film, so hopefully this isn't a controversial question.

I felt like this was Scorsese's most radical statement. In my interpretation, it suggests that, while the politics of the time did not allow for multiple expressions of faith (at least from the Church's perspective, as the Inquisitor suggests that the peasants were practicing their own version of Christianity the whole time), one's personal, internal faith transcends orthodoxy. It's a powerful message, IMO, especially in these times..

To your last question I was interested by the timing as well especially considering Scosese has been sitting on the film for a while. I'm sure lots played into that but you are right about its place in today's world

Personal faith vs orthodoxy is obviously part of that message. I left wondering if apostasy took place . It seemed clear to me they both chose that only because of the final horror they were both forced to experience and when Liam's character talks about pride it really put that decision into perspective for me

These are my 1 and 2 as well, though I put some distance between them with Moonlight at #1. Also ditto to the statement that Mahershala Ali is underrated, criminally so if you ask me.

Been a fan since The 4400.

Back