• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I just saw Hidden Figures. It was really good. It was well constructed, had great pace and told a story very, very few people knew anything about. I wonder if it had any release last year to be eligible for the Oscars.

watched the infiltrator with bryan cranston this weekend. it's on prime and i completely missed it whenever it originally came out. solid movie.

watched the infiltrator with bryan cranston this weekend. it's on prime and i completely missed it whenever it originally came out. solid movie.

Popped on here to post the same. Prime has added some solid flicks in the past few weeks. Infiltrator was well done for sure with a great cast. Cranston crushes as usual, but Bratt and Kruger were also good.

Also watched Eye in the Sky over the weekend. Interesting take on the "kill one to save many" premise and I liked that it unfolded essentially in real time. Excellent cast as well - not sure why it didn't do well in theaters. Perhaps it was marketed incorrectly.

The last non-animated film I walked out of was Inherent Vice.

I'm a huge PTA fan and I really did not like Inherent Vice. I tried watching it on 3 separate occasions and could never make through to the end. Really looking forward to his next film- he's teaming up with Daniel Day-Lewis again.

If you didn't like Inherent Vice you really just didn't like the source material. Great job of a difficult book to film adaptation, but that book is not what you would call accessible.

Just watched It Follows. P good. A little slow but not conventional, and I liked the way it looked and felt.

Loved It Follows. Would make a good double feature with The Guest if you haven't seen that. Similar soundtrack at least.

Just watched Spotlight. I thought it was a really well done movie and deserved all of the praise it got.

I'm a huge PTA fan and I really did not like Inherent Vice. I tried watching it on 3 separate occasions and could never make through to the end. Really looking forward to his next film- he's teaming up with Daniel Day-Lewis again.
This. PTA is awesome, but I didn't enjoy the purposeful incoherence of Inherent Vice. Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love, Boogie Nights, TWBB were all great.

Saw La La Land tonight and I really enjoyed it. The music and cinematography were specifically great. I'm relatively new to the musical genre, but I think it is a very competent and worthy throwback to the classics, particularly Dancing in the Rain.

We should rank PTA again. I have The Master and Boogie Nights at the top and Inherent Vice and Hard Eight at the bottom. Need to think about the middle.

Boogie Nights
The Master
Inherent Vice
There Will Be Blood
Punch-Drunk Love
Magnolia
Hard Eight

I happened to watch Apocalypse Now a few days ago. I saw it available on Hulu and it occurred to me I haven't seen it in probably 25-30 years by now and I really couldn't tell you anything about it but 1) Martin Sheen was tweaked out of his mind in the first scene 2) Helicopters playing "Ride of the Valkyries" 3) "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" 4) chopping up a water buffalo 5) "the horror... the horror".

I had forgotten all about Harrison Ford and young, rail skinny Laurence Fishburne. Also neat, that was unavailable last time I watched this, Google Maps shows the location of all the events.

This map is fucking cool. Thanks.

Boogie Nights gets better every time I watch it. Plus the soundtrack is tits.

Seems like this is for the opinions thread, but PTA's movies don't really do anything for me. I don't think that that I'll ever see any of them again.

Back