• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

May I humbly suggest you turn your sights on the genius Nicholas Ray?

They Live By Night
In A Lonely Place
Johnny Guitar

All classics

Let me know

Watched In a Lonely Place on Monday night. Really good flick. Different from most, if not all, Bogart characters I've seen. And I really had no idea how it was going to turn out until the end.

Also saw Baby Driver over the weekend and enjoyed it.

Was fun to see so much of Atlanta that I recognized.

A little too much cheesy dialogue for me at times, but I understand that was more of a stylistic choice than laziness.

I too very much enjoyed Baby Driver

Although I will say the whole music conceit was "borrowed" (ie. ripped off) from Star Lord

I too very much enjoyed Baby Driver

Although I will say the whole music conceit was "borrowed" (ie. ripped off) from Star Lord
Ehhh, that's a bit of a stretch. Having a protagonist listen to music isn't exactly new or unique to Star Lord. Hell, Fantastic Mr Fox did it in '09. Tarantino has been playing with aggressive music cues for decades.

I thought it was a little more obvious with this comparison

Not really spoilery, but will still put it there
1. Opening scene of our hero listening to music to establish tone and his personality
2. Going back to get his music during a chase/escape scene
3. A cassette tape symbolizing his mother

This is in addition to the idea of dropping in pop and rock songs throughout the movie. Don't get me wrong, I am a sucker for it and still loved it, but thought those things in particular were very close to GotG

Last edited:
Saw Baby Driver the other night. Great movie. I would have liked to see a couple extra twists for the ending. But still a great movie. I thought the whole thing was executed better than GoftG. GoftG just tossed in older songs to jazz things up. Baby Driver actually synchronized stuff to the music and basically had the music playing the entire movie. It also provided an actual reason for the protagonist's life being filled by music.

Also, GoftG just stretched the mixtape thing a little too far. In the far future, he still has a cassette tape his Mom made?

Last edited:
Wife and i watched Fantastic Beasts the other night. Not sure why the movie got so much hate other than it being way too long. Seemed pretty fun/fine for a Potter franchise.

Saw Baby Driver the other night. Great movie. I would have liked to see a couple extra twists for the ending. But still a great movie. I thought the whole thing was executed better than GoftG. GoftG just tossed in older songs to jazz things up. Baby Driver actually synchronized stuff to the music and basically had the music playing the entire movie. It also provided an actual reason for the protagonist's life being filled by music.

Also, GoftG just stretched the mixtape thing a little too far. In the far future, he still has a cassette tape his Mom made?

GotG isn't far future. It is present day, just outer space.

I also really liked Baby Driver. Fun movie with a great soundtrack that was fully integrated into scenes (the graffiti in the intro was a nice touch).

The one negative review I saw for Baby Driver was from the Economist, which complained it was like Tarantino w/o the dialogue. I can see that critique... But I enjoyed it anyway.

Yes on the GotG similarities. It is also somewhat similar to Drive.

But whatever, it was a fun movie.

The two things near the end of the movie that didn't add up were that Jon Hamm basically couldn't get killed and Baby getting five years in spite of multiple cops and the armored car drivers being killed (an it was in GA).

I really liked Wright's Simon Pegg movies and really most of this movie.

The two things near the end of the movie that didn't add up were that Jon Hamm basically couldn't get killed and Baby getting five years in spite of multiple cops and the armored car drivers being killed (an it was in GA).

I really liked Wright's Simon Pegg movies and really most of this movie.

I don't want to add in spoilers but would like to discuss the ending. Do we discuss on this thread or elsewhere?

Think of it like this. An adult man has a gift from his mom who died when he was a little kid. It's also his last memento from his home planet.

yeah, the weirdest thing about the tape is that it still works, especially a mix-tape

this comparison is stretched into oblivion. The mix tape and Baby's superpower via music are not the same at all, imo

I do think Drive was better than Baby Driver, but they were going for different things.

Back