• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

watched White Fang last night. oh for a simpler time where we can't show guys smoking but are willing to watch the drawn out death of a wolf pup's mom

Saw I, Tonya, it was really good. It was almost as silly as her entire story. Allison Janney was great as was Margot Robbie.

Wife went out to dinner with a friend last night, but I had to put our girls to bed and she didn't stay out for long. Saw the first hour of Kong: Skull Island and it is exactly what you'd expect. Luckily, I enjoy pretty much all versions of the "giant ape or lizard" genre, so I'm looking forward to its conclusion.

You're welcome.

Wife went out to dinner with a friend last night, but I had to put our girls to bed and she didn't stay out for long. Saw the first hour of Kong: Skull Island and it is exactly what you'd expect. Luckily, I enjoy pretty much all versions of the "giant ape or lizard" genre, so I'm looking forward to its conclusion.

You're welcome.

yeah, i enjoyed it and would enjoy an expansion of that particular monster-verse

I have to caveat that when I see a movie I like, I have a heightened sense of how much I liked it until I have some time to ruminate over it.

That said, I just saw "The Big Sick" (available for streaming on Prime) and I'm putting it at the #1 spot for my personal ranking of rom-coms. For perspective, I'd say whatever had been #1, is probably about #285 on my overall all-time list, it's a genre I care little for. I'm probably ranking it so high because the non-Rom elements were so strong, like the development of Kumail's relationship with Hunter and Romano and Kumail establishing his own identity to his family. I give it 5 googlies out of 6.

Big Sick was so good, though. Not really a RomCom, more Romantic-Drama but everyone should check it out, especially if you like Master of None; i feel they're thematically linked

You're welcome.

I loved it -- severely underrated. It's campy, Samuel L. Jackson is peak Samuel L. Jackson and John C. Reilly is hilarious. Weird abundance of solid actors for that movie.

Probably because he has a family

I’ll be seeing it. Just bringing it to his attention.

It’s not a stretch. When was the last time he mentioned a movie that wasn’t Pixar, Star Wars or Marvel/DC?

Last edited:
I loved it -- severely underrated. It's campy, Samuel L. Jackson is peak Samuel L. Jackson and John C. Reilly is hilarious. Weird abundance of solid actors for that movie.

similar to The Last Jedi, my biggest peeve were the Marvel-awkward-dialogue 'jokes' interspersed, particularly the dinosaur naming bit that went on for what felt like an hour

I’ll be seeing it. Just bringing it to his attention.

Why would I take my kids to see Paddington 2? You seem to regularly recommend movies that I have little interest in.

similar to The Last Jedi, my biggest peeve were the Marvel-awkward-dialogue 'jokes' interspersed, particularly the dinosaur naming bit that went on for what felt like an hour

I had less of an issue with the dumb jokes. I hated the super serious dialogue and pretty much all awkward interactions between characters (Military guy Samuel L. Jackson talking to (anti-)war photographer Brie Larson, for example). In general: less talkie, more giant creatures fucking shit up

I had less of an issue with the dumb jokes. I hated the super serious dialogue and pretty much all awkward interactions between characters (Military guy Samuel L. Jackson talking to (anti-)war photographer Brie Larson, for example). In general: less talkie, more giant creatures fucking shit up

the solution to basically every monster movie, ever

When Godzilla v Kong comes out, I'll proclaim it the best movie ever if they make it with no dialogue whatsoever, with an exception for island natives chanting.

Back