• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Hostiles is excellent.

Billed as a Western but has many War Movie themes as well.

Bale is excellent.

Fantastic final 3 minutes.

Sticks with you.

Spring Breakers is incredible. When I have people over and no one is paying attention to the tv I always put it on and I get a “what is this? It’s good” every single time. Stop Making Sense is my other favorite “no one is paying attention” movie. Even with music playing over it people are drawn in.

I Tonya is a turd. Reminded me of American Hustle, where the performances were pretty solid, but the film itself was shit. Even the performances aren't all that impressive when you consider the volume of video evidence the actors had as source material. At what point are you just caricaturing a real person versus actually acting?

Also - something else bothered me about the approach to the story and the complete whitewashing of Harding's role in the scandal, but I couldn't quite figure it out. Then I read this article and it clicked: http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2018/01/i_nauseated_the_oregonians_for.html

Highly recommend Paddington 2 for either anyone with kids or adults with the Sunday scaries. Just a great, feel good movie. Apparently it was nominated for best picture at the British Academy Film Awards, and Hugh Grant picked up a best supporting actor nom. It also had some surprisingly cool cinematography.

Last edited:
I Tonya is a turd. Reminded me of American Hustle, where the performances were pretty solid, but the film itself was shit. Even the performances aren't all that impressive when you consider the volume of video evidence the actors had as source material. At what point are you just caricaturing a real person versus actually acting?

Also - something else bothered me about the approach to the story and the complete whitewashing of Harding's role in the scandal, but I couldn't quite figure it out. Then I read this article and it clicked: http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2018/01/i_nauseated_the_oregonians_for.html

Wife and I watched this weekend. Didn't really do much for me, because it was just a dramatization of the several documentaries that have already been made about this, and no new ground was covered. Performances were good, but the strange fourth wall parts aside from the "documentary" portions of the movie were weird to me.

I've heard 'great" and "boring" with regard to Hostiles. Anyone else seen it? I hate getting 1/3 into a movie and going "shit, I'm bored..."

Up coughing in the middle of the night and watched Money Monster, with Clooney and Julia Roberts, directed by Jodie Foster. Don't do it.

Damn. Haven't seen it, but I liked the concept of that movie... Foster is the worst. Was it better than Mad City with Travolta and Hoffman?

I started MoviePass last month.

So far I've seen:

Downsizing
Den of Thieves
All the Money in the World
Ladybird
Jumanji
I, Tonya
Molly's Game
The Post
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
Darkest Hour
Hostiles
The Shape of Water

Going to check out Star Wars this afternoon. So far, Molly's Game & Hostiles have been my favorite. Den of Thieves and All the Money in the World were pretty bad. The Shape of Water just made me feel icky.

Last edited:
I've heard 'great" and "boring" with regard to Hostiles. Anyone else seen it? I hate getting 1/3 into a movie and going "shit, I'm bored..."

I'm pretty ADD. I try to see how long I can go into a movie without looking at my watch or checking the time on my phone.

Hostiles held my attention pretty darn well, but it doesn't hurt I'm mildly obsessed with Christian Bale.

I saw Phantom Thread for the second time last night and loved it even more than the first. And I want to go back again.

My wife really wants to see this while it's at a/

I don't know if there's enough booze in the world for me.

Don’t be nervous. It’s not sappy sentementality or anything, if that’s what you’re worried about, but definitely not for everyone. It’s a pretty weird, quirky take on inspiration, the muse/artist dynamic, and control/power in a relationship. I thought it was pretty funny too.

Back