• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Caught Black Panther over the weekend. I was expecting to be underwhelmed, given the hype and my general indifference when it comes to Marvel movies, but it was really excellent. I'd love to see a spin-off based on the royal guards where they just run around and fuck everybody up.

Added 'The Party', 'Unsane, and , 'Love Simon' to my watched list over the weekend. All were solid.

I saw The Death of Stalin. It was listed as a comedy, directed by the guy from Veep, had Steve Buscemi as Khrushchev, Jeffrey Tambor and Eric Idle. The only problem was it wasn't really funny. It could have been and attempted to be several times, but somehow they didn't pull it off.

I saw The Death of Stalin. It was listed as a comedy, directed by the guy from Veep, had Steve Buscemi as Khrushchev, Jeffrey Tambor and Eric Idle. The only problem was it wasn't really funny. It could have been and attempted to be several times, but somehow they didn't pull it off.

Interesting. I was thinking about checking it out tonight while my wife is sick.

Did you like In the Loop? One of my favorite comedies of the last ten years.

Potentially this could go in another thread, but I'll drop my "Death of Stalin" take here even though it's based on a comic book.

I've put more time into processing this than most any movie I see. The pedigree had me expecting a riotous, yet cerebral comedy. Unfortunately, the yucks were quite sporadic. There were very funny moments, just entirely too few of them. I ain't gonna lie, halfway through the movie I had to wonder if this was just going over my head. Once home, I thought I'd check reviews to see if it got eviscerated like I thought it would. Nope, 95% on RT, Metacritic = 88, so this isn't just a bunch of critics saying "it's alright", it was getting effusive praise. I dug deeper into my go-to critics and they too, loved it, like 4/4 stars. So I still have to think I just didn't get it.

This is the first movie I can remember where I thought "Did not like" and also "Need to see it again." Maybe it helps to not go in expecting VEEP but rather be thinking more along the lines of "The Lobster".

Back to pedigree, Eric Idle is not in the movie, Michael Palin is.

To TD&TF, I really liked "In the Loop", even though I thought it was a notch below the better seasons of "The Thick of It". There's clearly a common ancestor between ITL and TDOS, both are extremely biting satires. I just had more laughs from the former.

Potentially this could go in another thread, but I'll drop my "Death of Stalin" take here even though it's based on a comic book.

I've put more time into processing this than most any movie I see. The pedigree had me expecting a riotous, yet cerebral comedy. Unfortunately, the yucks were quite sporadic. There were very funny moments, just entirely too few of them. I ain't gonna lie, halfway through the movie I had to wonder if this was just going over my head. Once home, I thought I'd check reviews to see if it got eviscerated like I thought it would. Nope, 95% on RT, Metacritic = 88, so this isn't just a bunch of critics saying "it's alright", it was getting effusive praise. I dug deeper into my go-to critics and they too, loved it, like 4/4 stars. So I still have to think I just didn't get it.

This is the first movie I can remember where I thought "Did not like" and also "Need to see it again." Maybe it helps to not go in expecting VEEP but rather be thinking more along the lines of "The Lobster".

Back to pedigree, Eric Idle is not in the movie, Michael Palin is.

To TD&TF, I really liked "In the Loop", even though I thought it was a notch below the better seasons of "The Thick of It". There's clearly a common ancestor between ITL and TDOS, both are extremely biting satires. I just had more laughs from the former.

My bad about Idle/Palin...

saw Ready Player One last night with the wife last night. Really enjoyed, not great but a fun night out at the movies for sure. Movie took some pretty big turns from the book especially in the challenges/riddles. Recommend both movie and book , especially to all you 1980's nerds.

How would a kid beat olds at 80s trivia?

well, its kind of complicated but basically the entire world is trying to win this contest that is based on 80's pop culture so all the youngs spend all their time studying 80's shows and movies.

That actually makes sense.

I watched Superbad for the first time this weekend - hilarious and I can't believe it took that long to see it.

I also watched Schindler's List - obviously the total opposite end of the spectrum but that was amazing.

Ready Player One was a fun movie. I understand why they changed the challenges from the book; a lot of those just didn't translate well to the big screen.

they should've included a full Ferris Bueller dubbed by that kid right in the middle

Haven't seen RPO yet, but based on the book I have to imagine licensing issues for that movie were insane.

I was watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit the other day on some channel I'd never heard of, and I can't imagine what kind of licensing they had to get Disney and WB characters in there together along with characters like Betty Boop

Back